Shorter Seasons?

Beaviss

Shorter Season?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, Will said:

but if everyone's playing two more seasons you're getting more time and TPE?

It off-sets 

Yes and no. You're right, but at the same time it means you are getting regressed sooner in your career by say...5 weeks (1 week per season x 5 years of your career before regression) means you earn about 60 TPE less in a 5 year career gearing up for regression. Only TPE you're gaining is the TPE you gain from having a larger carryover

• Senior Admin
3 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Yes and no. You're right, but at the same time it means you are getting regressed sooner in your career by say...5 weeks (1 week per season x 5 years of your career before regression) means you earn about 60 TPE less in a 5 year career gearing up for regression. Only TPE you're gaining is the TPE you gain from having a larger carryover

Yes fair enough, I was saying with the assumption regression would be adjusted anyways 

Like even if you pushed the first season of depreciation up to a persons 7th season instead of 6th, it would balance out the shorter seasons IMO 

1 minute ago, Will said:

Yes fair enough, I was saying with the assumption regression would be adjusted anyways 

Like even if you pushed the first season of depreciation up to a persons 7th season instead of 6th, it would balance out the shorter seasons IMO 

That last past would be the off-set.

1 hour ago, Will said:

but if everyone's playing two more seasons you're getting more time and TPE?

It off-sets 

Yes, but the gains wouldn't be there.

from seasons 1-5 you'd gain 1/3 less than normal. So essentially regression would hit you even harder, no? 

1 hour ago, Quik said:

Yeah, essentially cut the season shorter, and give 1-2 weeks where the entire TPE cap is doubled to 24, to make up for the week(s) lost to shortening the season

@Banackock read the whole post goddammit

:th_clooney:

How would you gain the extra TPE to hit 24 in a week?

6 (media spot), 2 VHL.com,  2 press conference, 2 job. What else? 

Just now, Banackock said:

Maybe make tasks that fall by the wayside (reviews especially) worth more? Maybe for reviews (just as an example) raise the tpe cap for that one week. It would get people more tpe for the missed weeks and clean up the boards real quick. 

3 minutes ago, HellBillyXIII said:

Maybe make tasks that fall by the wayside (reviews especially) worth more? Maybe for reviews (just as an example) raise the tpe cap for that one week. It would get people more tpe for the missed weeks and clean up the boards real quick. 

Sorta silly to hand out double weeks just to have shorter seasons. 

Maybe reviews or a year end point task or something. Idk. The seasons already feel short enough. What's wrong with them now? People say the playoffs is a "crap shoot" and most awards are for regular season anyway (GMoTY etc). So people should enjoy a decent sized regular season.

I don't see why would she change it. It's not a huge thing that'll make or break recruitment or anything that pushes members away. If you're bored, it's not the season length - it's likely just you. 

4 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Sorta silly to hand out double weeks just to have shorter seasons. 

Maybe reviews or a year end point task or something. Idk. The seasons already feel short enough. What's wrong with them now? People say the playoffs is a "crap shoot" and most awards are for regular season anyway (GMoTY etc). So people should enjoy a decent sized regular season.

I don't see why would she change it. It's not a huge thing that'll make or break recruitment or anything that pushes members away. If you're bored, it's not the season length - it's likely just you. 

I dont even know how long the seasons are but they definitely move at a pretty good pace in the vhlm. 

13 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Make it a full doubles week. PT = 12, VHL.com = 4, PC= 4, Reviewing = doubled

Just now, Quik said:

Make it a full doubles week. PT = 12, VHL.com = 4, PC= 4, Reviewing = doubled

I mean, maybe.. just seems a little silly to be handing out double TPE for one or two weeks just to shorten the season.

I don't really care - but my vote was no. I see zero wrong with the season lengths now. The off-seasons fly by - as do the seasons. Feels like yesterday it was the finals and now we're what? 20% of the way through another season? 

2 minutes ago, Symmetrik said:

I'm definitely for it, getting days with a single game is boring as hell.

IMO then, don't shorten the length by actual real-life days, but just add 10 games to the season and make them 82 game seasons.

12 minutes ago, Banackock said:

I mean, maybe.. just seems a little silly to be handing out double TPE for one or two weeks just to shorten the season.

I don't really care - but my vote was no. I see zero wrong with the season lengths now. The off-seasons fly by - as do the seasons. Feels like yesterday it was the finals and now we're what? 20% of the way through another season? 

Meh, most people feel the season is too long. If we do go with a shorter season, giving a full doubles week or 2 is a way to combat the loss of TPE...

Personally, if we can shorten the regular season, still get the same amount of TPE, and keep the playoffs/off-season the same length, that’s the best way to go. I wouldn’t look to increase the off-season, since dead periods are hell for member retention, imo. It keeps people from burning out. If you cut 2 weeks from each season, that means a standard season career (8 + 1.3 pre-draft) would would be about 19 weeks shorter. That’s about 4 months. I actually think it would do wonders for member retention. 

15 minutes ago, Quik said:

Personally, if we can shorten the regular season, still get the same amount of TPE, and keep the playoffs/off-season the same length, that’s the best way to go. I wouldn’t look to increase the off-season, since dead periods are hell for member retention, imo. It keeps people from burning out. If you cut 2 weeks from each season, that means a standard season career (8 + 1.3 pre-draft) would would be about 19 weeks shorter. That’s about 4 months. I actually think it would do wonders for member retention. 

Thats what I was thinking more action = more entertainment. The idea came from my friend who played here for a bit @jvd told me yesterday that the game was too slow and boring so I thought how would we make that better.

10 minutes ago, sterling said:

What's the proposed benefit? I'm not sure there's a convincing argument from what I've read in here thus far. There should already be a double's week every season as far as I'm concerned 

The benefit would be less stale season as some people believe it to be to long and or drawn out. If we play an entire season in less days than the pace of the site would increase thus increasing activity(theoretically). I brought this up beacuse one of my buddies mentioned it to me how the site was too slow paced and gets stale quickly during the season. (I agreed) so I made this to see where other people’s thoughts are. 

TLDR: Member rentention due to less stale weeks on the site.

Edited by Beaviss

Trimming the season by a week could be okay, but as someone who has GM experience in other leagues, that one week can really make a difference for the worse.  Shorter seasons means faster turnarounds on free agency, contract extensions, trades, drafts, finance sheets, the whole nine yards.  It can make it grueling.  If the concern is "not enough sims each day" you could always combat that by simming 3 days a week instead of 5-6.  Each sim would have 4 games, assuming a 6 week regular season.  But, I assume people would rather have more sims with fewer games than the other way around.

14 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

The benefit would be less stale season as some people believe it to be to long and or drawn out. If we play an entire season in less days than the pace of the site would increase thus increasing activity(theoretically). I brought this up beacuse one of my buddies mentioned it to me how the site was too slow paced and gets stale quickly during the season. (I agreed) so I made this to see where other people’s thoughts are. 

TLDR: Member rentention due to less stale weeks on the site.

It's stale for some. Can't appease all. 

We just ended a season 2 weeks ago and are already 20% through the next regular season? 90% of VHL awards are for the regular season. One BoG member was quoted as calling the playoffs a "crap shoot". I've heard a couple members say the regular season is more important and decides to "champion" better over 72 games than a 7 game playoff series. In fact, I'm thinking it was the same BoG.

The regular season is perfect. If anything, make it 82 games. If you want a 2 weeks season, join the casual league known as the GOMHL. Lol

46 minutes ago, Banackock said:

It's stale for some. Can't appease all. 

We just ended a season 2 weeks ago and are already 20% through the next regular season? 90% of VHL awards are for the regular season. One BoG member was quoted as calling the playoffs a "crap shoot". I've heard a couple members say the regular season is more important and decides to "champion" better over 72 games than a 7 game playoff series. In fact, I'm thinking it was the same BoG.

The regular season is perfect. If anything, make it 82 games. If you want a 2 weeks season, join the casual league known as the GOMHL. Lol

I don’t want it that short I’m just say put one more simming day per day makes the season go a tiny bit quicker more to discuss (more games) I would also like more games a season I really like the 82 game seasons. 

Lol at the people shooting Beaviss' suggestion down, and instead suggesting exactly what the post said... :lol: People should have read what he meant by "shorter".

I wouldn't mind going to 3 games per sim. That leaves less time to change lines, but it's still fine with me.