S59 Official Award Changes

Beketov

• Commissioner

S59 Official Award Changes

Anyone who has already completed their predictions (as I hope you all have) already noticed this change but it seems best to officially announce it in case people didn't see.

As of this season our awards will be changing slightly. The Grimm Jonsson Trophy and Mikka Virkkunen Trophy; for Top Leader and Most Sportsmanlike respectively, have been officially retired and will no longer be awarded. The voting simply came down to criteria that the BOG felt didn't suited the league anymore and in recent seasons the awards had become almost jokes. In their place I would like to announce our two new awards as well as one award criteria change.

Jake Wylde Trophy

Top Defensive Defenseman

In his time with the VHL Jake Wylde was one of the top defensive players we have ever had with significant totals in Shots Blocked, Hits, and +/- status in addition to receiving the former Labatte trophy twice during his career. For that reason his name shall now be associated with the top defensive defenseman award.

Sterling Labatte Trophy

Top Offensive Defenseman

The Labatte trophy name shall remain as it always has. However with the caveat that it is now awarded as the top offensive defenseman, instead of simply the top defenseman. We believe that D-men should be rewarded more for their work regardless of how they choose to play so no longer shall the debates be based on offensive vs. defensive numbers.

Greg Clegane Trophy

Lowest GAA with a minimum of 20 GP

Among his many VHL records Greg Clegane holds the lowest GAA of any goalie over the course of a full career which makes him the perfect candidate to receive this award in his name. While GAA may seem like a team statistic it is one that cannot be earned without a solid goalie in net and we wanted to reward that goalie with another award that can only be won by them.

So that's it. Congratulations to all the former winners of the Jonsson and Virkkunen awards, your accomplishments will remain in the hall of fame where they belong; however the awards are officially retired. We hope moving forward these new awards can have the names of many top players applied to them.

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, Quik said:

triggered_by_mrlorgin-d9aahmc.png

Thank you. I knew there was an error somewhere in there but just couldn’t bloody find it for some reason.

33 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Thank you. I knew there was an error somewhere in there but just couldn’t bloody find it for some reason.

lol yeah, no worries...though I don't like judging based on +/- either haha

So its official, we name awards based on individual performance and its not a way to reward  individual members, right?

If that's not the case, that means that we named an award on edgar, which was a controversial member on the board.

Which is nice

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, boubabi said:

So its official, we name awards based on individual performance and its not a way to reward  individual members, right?

If that's not the case, that means that we named an award on edgar, which was a controversial member on the board.

Which is nice

Some of column A, some of column B. We aren’t going to name an award for a member when they don’t have any players that ft the award just because they were a good member. At the same time good stats but shit personality isn’t likely to be an immediate choice either. Its a balance.

1 minute ago, boubabi said:

So we agree that edgar contributed to the site as much as any other member who has an award name after?

Right?

Awards should be named after great players not who did the most for the site

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, boubabi said:

So we agree that edgar contributed to the site as much as any other member who has an award name after?

Right?

I’m not saying as any other member, there are definitely some that did more.

I’m saying that the combination of individual stats (the main factor) plus his activity did it. Someone who’s a complete pest, even if they have good numbers, won’t get an award just as a great member with bad stats won’t get an award. Edgar had comments of controversy but was ultimately a good member and Sound had good numbers.

You seem to be trying to make it about one though or trying to make every person with an award name on an even field and that’s not the case.

Do you think edgar was loved by everyone on the board? He was very controversial at times. Plus, I wouldnt describe jack sound as an elite player that made HoF. I just find it odd, but the award itself is pretty odd as well.

When I think about a defensive D, i think about edwin edcarnacion (whatever his nsame was) who was pretty good defensively. Plus, rewarding YEAH! for his effort in the league would also make more sense.

Stop seeing all my comments as attacks, I'm just questioning the decision.

• Commissioner
4 minutes ago, boubabi said:

Do you think edgar was loved by everyone on the board? He was very controversial at times. Plus, I wouldnt describe jack sound as an elite player that made HoF. I just find it odd, but the award itself is pretty odd as well.

When I think about a defensive D, i think about edwin edcarnacion (whatever his nsame was) who was pretty good defensively. Plus, rewarding YEAH! for his effort in the league would also make more sense.

Stop seeing all my comments as attacks, I'm just questioning the decision.

I’m not seeing them as attacks. Honestly it felt more like you trying to goat proof out of me that even with a ban you could have an award one day, maybe I was reading it wrong.

To be honest the name itself wasn’t discussed a ton. We weren’t planning on putting these in this season but someone brought it up and it made sense so we decided to go ahead with them. That meant the names weren’t discussed much. Sound was put forth and an option and no one was opposed to it so it made sense.

Chances are had we taken time to fully evaluate all stats and members we could have found other deserving members but I wouldn’t say Edgar or Sound are completely undeserving.

If you want to make it personal, it's up to you. It's not. However, if you think a ban won't allow me to be recognized, you are either wrong or dumb. Choose one. The fact that I haven't been elected as a builder yet is surprising, but not that much at the same time considering the huge bias against me there currently is in the boys club. 

Anyway, as I was part of the BoG at the time a possible rename was possible for the awards, it was agreed on that it was also a good opportunity to congratulate a member who did a lot for the league by naming an award for one of his player. But with the current jack sound award, it doesn't make much sense. Actually, it's an indicator on how the award will be. A middle of the tier player who will be in a favorable team to inflate his stats (like shot blocks), which is kinda odd to give an award to that. Like the top pussy award, you actually congratulate someone who doesn't put pts in checking, which we all agreed on was a shit award.

I'm not saying the idea behind the top defensive award is bad, I just don't think we have enough information to properly give the award. Do me a favor, and start a discussion in the BoG and name the top defensive D for the last 10 seasons and see if you are alright with the decisions/logic applied to the voting. Because dear god, we know that voting is extremely volatile season to season.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, boubabi said:

If you want to make it personal, it's up to you. It's not. However, if you think a ban won't allow me to be recognized, you are either wrong or dumb. Choose one. The fact that I haven't been elected as a builder yet is surprising, but not that much at the same time considering the huge bias against me there currently is in the boys club. 

If you’re claiming this isn’t about you then don’t make it about you.

Even when we do something you want you’ll still always find something to complain about so whatever, I’ve said my piece.

the old school beketov is back again

anyway, to claim my saying, edwin encarnacion, James Lefebvre or Jake Wylde would have been better name for the award, because it's more coherent with the current mindset the league has with awards

but anyway euh I've said my piece

Edited by boubabi

Was Jack Sound actually that good? He has to be the worst player with a trophy named in his honor, right?

(Though I guess maybe that's fitting for the award, considering it's the one that will most likely have "bad" players winning it)

Edited by street