Mobile Chat (Upgrading the Old Chat)

• Head Moderator
4 hours ago, Bring Back Chat said:

discord sucks because people arent auto logged into discord or dont think to go to that chat and forget and no one is ever there vs this chat actually has people

Are you serious or just trolling? You login LITERALLY ONCE and you stay in discord. Just like the VHL forums which you HAVE TO LOGIN TO. You'd have to tell me you use no other platform of social media at all to make me believe you that logging into one single additional thing ONCE is going to ruin your entire experience. Are you telling me you don't use the VHL portal because you have to LOGIN ONCE? So as i said before, unless you're running incognito mode its not even going to be an issue. Can you see how absurd your argument is because there isn't an auto login connected to VHL for the first time login?

Almost the entire gaming community has moved to discord because it is the superior chat platform in every single aspect. Your logic is so absurd that you can't be bothered or you think someone is too bothered to login to a discord chat despite devoting hours to spending on the website, where people in online games that play literally 15-20 minutes like league of legends will join random discords to use voice features. The ease of use is such that once logged in i can join any discord channel for any purpose, SHL, VHL, GOMHL, heck i can join a twitch streamers discord simply clicking their link like if @Beketov was streaming.

1 hour ago, JardyB10 said:

Discord is definitely superior and Chat on the forum, albeit nice, is overrated.

But if we went through the effort of bringing chat back to the forum I don't see the problem with putting it on mobile as well.

If you're going to bring all this effort just to help Eagles, I don't see why there wasn't the effort to proactively encourage people to use discord.

This entire thing btw is coming from someone that loves using chat. Its not even the case where I dislike chat. Its like arguing to help the guy with the Camry when everyone could use an TSX. Its simply much better to use discord for chat functions +.

Edited by tfong

• Commissioner

@tfong I have explained this to you before. Discord is a better chat, there’s no denying that. But from everything I have read they broke embedding years ago and people don’t want to or don’t think to go off-site for chat.

The whole point of chat is for it to be easier, quicker, and more convenient than PMing. Having to go to another site, register for it, and remember to have it open every time you want to be on the VHL isn’t easier, quicker, or more convenient.

We tried Discord and proved that people don’t use it. Investing extra time into it doesn’t make sense. I’m not saying it isn’t superior, I’m saying that our members dont prefer it. A corvette is a better car than a Yaris but if you live in a city with constant traffic and no room to move the Yaris makes more sense.

If it’s possible to embed it then maybe we can try to make that an option but the lack of single login is still a pain. What extra features would we realistically gain from it?

• Commissioner

For what it’s worth as well @Beaviss, @Will and I were talking about this yesterday. We thought we had the upgraded one with mobile but we might be mistaken or it might just be disabled for some reason. We’re looking into it.

• Head Moderator
3 hours ago, Beketov said:

@tfong I have explained this to you before. Discord is a better chat, there’s no denying that. But from everything I have read they broke embedding years ago and people don’t want to or don’t think to go off-site for chat.

The whole point of chat is for it to be easier, quicker, and more convenient than PMing. Having to go to another site, register for it, and remember to have it open every time you want to be on the VHL isn’t easier, quicker, or more convenient.

We tried Discord and proved that people don’t use it. Investing extra time into it doesn’t make sense. I’m not saying it isn’t superior, I’m saying that our members dont prefer it. A corvette is a better car than a Yaris but if you live in a city with constant traffic and no room to move the Yaris makes more sense.

If it’s possible to embed it then maybe we can try to make that an option but the lack of single login is still a pain. What extra features would we realistically gain from it?

"Our members" may not like it I think I think is wrong. It's not been given a fair trial by all of them. I'm in the boat that this is one of those things we need to move forward with to attract new members, not retain old ones. It's as much of a needing to change because we are stuck in the old ways for the old people. Are not the other sites all switched to discord already per mentioned like SHL and such? The ones we are trying to catch in membership additions? I'm confident people have enjoyed and will enjoy it post adoption.

As I said before extra features on the most basic level I've already posted, split locker look chats, a singular gm chat, bots, voice chat, mobile and pm abilities on the phone.

Think this isn't a Yaris vs corvette.

It's a Yaris versus a Tesla. Except people are griping it's a touch start instead of keyed start.

And yes as I showed, there are embed options.

Edited by tfong

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, tfong said:

"Our members" may not like it I think I think is wrong. It's not been given a fair trial by all of them. I'm in the boat that this is one of those things we need to move forward with to attract new members, not retain old ones. It's as much of a needing to change because we are stuck in the old ways for the old people. Are not the other sites all switched to discord already per mentioned like SHL and such? The ones we are trying to catch in membership additions? I'm confident people have enjoyed and will enjoy it post adoption.

As I said before extra features on the most basic level I've already posted, split locker look chats, a singular gm chat, bots, voice chat, mobile and pm abilities on the phone.

Think this isn't a Yaris vs corvette.

It's a Yaris versus a Tesla. Except people are griping it's a touch start instead of keyed start.

And yes as I showed, there are embed options.

And we will look into those options. However we have been without chat for so long that I really don't see how it would make any sense to keep using something people have proven not to like while we get things sorted out. If Discord works better for us then we'll use that. However as of right now we needed a solution and this is a familiar one that works well. Discord, in the state we were using it (and the state other sites use it) I don't find works well. I have never used the discord for either the SBA or the EFL because using a separate site to chat seems ridiculous.

• Head Moderator
21 minutes ago, Bring Back Chat said:

@tfong I'm not trolling, I just find that no one is ever on the discord chat because people don't think to log in there for whatever reason. VS will and boubabi I now have 24 hour access to with chat cause they are always on vhl

I believe part of the reason why people haven't logged in was that discord was basically just put as a link in a thread and that was it. People weren't really aware and management didn't really push the idea and participate all that much in it and that's kinda why I don't think disc was given fair usage. I mean among other things we didn't use the embeds (which are possible via bots) that you don't need to make accounts for either, so you could have it embedded in the bottom panel or where have you as well. I mean if you have access to VHL, you basically should have access to discord as well.  I'm not against having chat back by any means anyways.

Edited by tfong

20 hours ago, Bring Back Chat said:

discord sucks because people arent auto logged into discord or dont think to go to that chat and forget and no one is ever there vs this chat actually has people

Change your name faggit

• Head Moderator

I just realized, does forum chat not have a main chat lobby anymore? Then really speaking its not even a chat, its just an instant messaging system.

Edited by tfong