Claimed:Clardy excites at VHLM Combine [FINAL 6/6]

Clardy dominates at Scouting Combine

cropped_MYERS1.gif

Clardy lands a big check against Team Europe in the finale of the VHLM Scouting Combine

Michael Clardy, stalwart defender from Houston, TX, hadn't even been an official VHLM prospect for a whole week and already has made a big splash over the weekend at the annual VHLM Scouting Combine event! Located this year in New York City, NY at the VHL's New York Americans' main game day facility, the VHLM S43 Scouting Combine attracted prospects from every corner of the world and had them face off against one another in a series of difficult and trying drills against their future opponents, and Clardy was able to stand out amongst the tough defensive pool.

tyler-myers-vs-eller-o.gif

Clardy works over prospect Souryuu Kaminogi in Clardy's defensive end during the finale scrimmage

As a 2nd line defender for Team Americas, Clardy was able to stop 6 shots from testing the young goaltenders between the pipes and was also a key factor in setting up 2 goals, the first to young California winger Josh Merica on the powerplay and the second assist to Larry Esposito on a set-up one-timer from the right slot past Team Europe's porous defense and into the twine. Both assists and the 6 shot blocks earned Clardy 2nd Star recognition as Team Americas cruised to a 6-2 showing over the battered Team Europe.

patrickkane.gif

Josh Merica scores on a breakaway powerplay opportunity with Clardy receiving credit for the primary assist

The finale scrimmage was watched by VHLM and VHL scouts alike, the former taking notes for the upcoming draft and the latter taking more notes to set a baseline for future progress tracking. Clardy was reviewed heavily by both crews or scouts and turned out favorably, with many scouts noting his defensive pressure and skating posture as his strong points. Both of these talents helped put Clardy into great position during one on one defensive drills and during the entire scrimmage, with Clardy playing 35 minutes of 2nd line, penalty kill, and powerplay ice time.

Tyler+Myers+San+Jose+Sharks+v+Buffalo+Sa

Clardy celebrates with Larry Esposito and the rest of the Team Americas line that scored 2 of the team's 6 goals

After the scrimmage during the rest of the final day at the Combine, which included a media session with the members of the VHL community, Clardy was asked about his performance and his ability to crack the 1st round and responded, "I feel confident that with my performance tonight, my Scouting Combine results, and my play since declaring for the VHLM Draft, I will be the top defensive prospect headed into this week's draft. You can't ignore top-tier talent, Texas-sized talent, and I am both. There's no stopping me."

Tyler+Myers+Luke+Schenn+NHL+Entry+Draft+

Clardy answers multiple questions from reporters at the VHLM media session with Team Americas linemate Jed Mosley

Clardy made a huge splash with his announcement into the VHLM draft coming so late in the scouting and training window that no one truly expected for Clardy to take over as the top defensive prospect. The weekend in New York silenced naysayers and encouraged Clardy supporters to rally around the flag that is the Texas native. With a strong Combine and a star-studded highlight reel, Clardy feels ready to take on the VHLM.

WC: 530+ Words

Content: 3/3 - Beat the 500 word mark, was a well-written piece, and it kept me entertained throughout. Solid work here.

Grammar: 2/2 - Yeah, maybe a thing or two I would have worded differently, but nothing here that jumped off the page as an actual error. Good job!

Presentation: 1/1 - Pictures are pretty.

Total: 6/6