Claimed:The 10 most successful VHLM GM's: #10 - #6

hedgehog337

Hi from Russia. I'm having a nice team here, but there's a problem. I have a lots of ideas for media threads, but my motivation is fading and parties doesn't allow me to create a quality topic. Despite of this, I created another VHLM related topic - the 10 most successful VHLM GM's - right now! 

NOTES:

1.The first VHLM GM award happened in S15 and was named after Ken Holland, the current GM and executive Vice President of the Detroit Red Wings. The award was renamed to Jack Reilly Trophy in S42;

2. There can be some questions, like why a memeber with no GM awards is still on TOP10. That's why this is the most SUCCESSFUL GM list, not greatest;

Attēlu rezultāti vaicājumam “junior league general manager”

*Ready to win!*

10. Joey Kendrick

@Kendrick

S14 champion

S40 Ken Holland Trophy winner

+2 finals

11 seasons as a VHLM GM

I've heard he is about to try his luck at GM'ing a VHLM team once again. Not a surprise, knowing his cumulative 11-season reign. Will his tenure be long, if he gets the GM job? I have some doubts about it, because the longest his reign was 3 seasons long; also, he GM'ed 4 teams (2 times with Fresno/Saskatoon) during his GM era. Other than that, he still had a nice time with managing the junior teams - 1 cup with Brampton, 1 VHLM GM award with Saskatoon, plus 2 finals and an impressive 11-season reign. He's quite unlucky about the best VHLM GM award though: he won the cup in S14 - one season before the award was created. 

9. Mario De Rossi

@KitRas

S40, S41 champion

3 seasons as a VHLM GM

He probably is the first GM ever who made a two-peat and didn't win the best manager award. We already know who got the award in S40; as for S41, it was Austin Gow who won the Ken Holland trophy for the last time before it was renamed. I don't know why he had such a hard time with GM trophies, probably because he wasn't really involved with his team (I didn't read S40 and 41 threads yet). Anyway, we can't take the two-peat away from Mario, so he's at #9 on the most successful VHLM GM list. 

8. Vince Wong

@STZ

S33, S36 champion

S33, S36 Ken Holland Trophy winner

8 seasons as a VHLM GM

He's the first man who made an expansion Bratislava team a thing after Yukon's (another expansion team) debut takeover in S31. As the history tells, it's not an easy job to make a contender from a team right after its creation, but it's still possible. S33 and S36 Watchmen as much as S31+S34 Yukon and S35 Quebec can tell you a lot. Unfortunately for Vince, these two seasons are the only ones he was on top, although he spent 6 seasons with Bratislava + another 2-season reign with Bern (S44-45). But no matter how things went during his GM tenure, his accolades are good enough for being a TOP 10 VHLM GM so far. 

7. Jim Gow

@Fire Hakstol

S35, S39 champion

S35, S39 Ken Holland Trophy winner

7 seasons as a VHLM GM

Ottawa is still the most successful VHLM franchise of all time and Jim in one of the reasons why the Lynx is so legit. Ottawa is the only team he managed and it makes more impressive as he spent 7 seasons straight with one team. Not 12-season reign from Reilly though. Also, he was a VHLM Commish two times(?), so he was bigger than just a winner of the junior league. Actually Vince Wong and Jim have the same cup and GM trophy count, but Vince spent 1 season more as a GM, hence Jim is 7th on my list. Interesting fact: his ''brother'' Austin Gow was managing a VHLM team as well. Did he a better job than Jim? We will see. 

6. Jason Glasser

@diamond_ace

S21, S23 champion

S21, S23 Ken Holland Trophy winner

+1 finals

9 seasons as a VHLM GM

He still holds the longest-tenured GM record among all VHL and VHLM managers - 16 seasons with Calgary. But before that, he had a strong preview with the Lynx team, adding another two cups to Ottawa's trophy shelf and quite obviously that his effort paid off with 2 Holland's. His tenure with Ottawa wasn't the only one: he also made it to the S44 finals with Oslo during his three-season reign with them. In total, he spent 25(!) seasons while being a VHL and VHLM team GM (he took a season off in S42, otherwise it would've been 26 staright seasons as a GM) which is dayuuum impressive. By the way, he came back to VHL recently...could we see another his run? 

The elite 5 comes soon. 

6 TPE goes to Petenis. 

On 2/12/2017 at 2:35 PM, Fire Hakstol said:

Nice article @hedgehog337

I'd be curious to see @diamond_ace's thoughts on his time with the "Lynx" :ssst:

Yeah just so @hedgehog337 is aware, when I was GM of the Ottawa VHLM team, they were called the Ice Dogs. They got changed because the logo was stolen from a minor league team or something

ALSO: Super impressed at the state of the VHLM since then, if I'm out of the top 5. Great job keeping it going. @CoachReilly better be #1

On 2/12/2017 at 4:35 PM, JardyB10 said:

/r/savedyouaclick It was resident douches Mitch Higgins and Daniel Braxton.

Yep @Higgins first guy and Jericho's first guy (he must be going by something different right now). Higgins was a third rounder (VHLM draft) and 8th overall VHL draft, then went on to be one of only two HOF in his draft class with LEEROOOOOY JENKINNNNNSSS. Braxton was a year later and the only HOF in his class (although Lebedev was close-ish).