I am a non-believer in the supposed "3-1 curse"

scoop

Quite frankly, I'm not sure where the notion of a "3-1 curse" originated, but as someone who is currently up 3-1 in both the VHL and VHLM, I refuse to believe in it. However, because of this, I'm going to begin the inevitably tedious task of researching every playoff series in the documented history (S18 and beyond) from both the VHL and VHLM just to see how often teams have lost series after having 3-1 lead. But since I'm doing this massive research anyway, I figure I might as well go even beyond that. For every playoff series, I'm going to look at the pattern. So as a result of my research, I'll know New York's series record when they start the series with a loss at home followed by a win at home.

Okay, so maybe I won't be quite that in depth. I don't plan on looking at home/away splits. Maybe though. Once I start getting into it, maybe I'll find a method of doing it where home/away is easy enough to document. I don't know exactly how much info I'm going to be gathering. I'll be watching Futurama while I'm doing it though so it's not like my time will be totally wasted.

for mist4ke

Edited by ThePenultimateOlympian06

Okay so I'm done up to S34 and I think maybe this is where it comes from (though maybe later on there is more to it)

From S31 to S33, there were five playoff series (out of fifteen) in the VHL where a team won after starting 1-3.

S31 Davos over New York

S32 New York over Riga

S33 Riga over Davos

S33 New York over Calgary

S33 Riga over Helsinki

Another thing in particular that I'm looking for are reverse sweeps. I don't recall a time when it ever happened, and so far my research shows that from S18 to S34, there were none in the VHL. There was a reverse sweep in the VHLM, though. In the semi-finals, Bratislava over Kolari. Bratislava went on to sweep their opponent in the finals.

• Commissioner
13 minutes ago, ThePenultimateOlympian06 said:

Another thing in particular that I'm looking for are reverse sweeps. I don't recall a time when it ever happened, and so far my research shows that from S18 to S34, there were none in the VHL. There was a reverse sweep in the VHLM, though. In the semi-finals, Bratislava over Kolari. Bratislava went on to sweep their opponent in the finals.

Im fine with the Bears making history TBH. You guys got your cup, let me have mine.

5 minutes ago, Da Trifecta said:

It more than applies

You guys weren't down 3-0.. how exactly would you be making history?

winning a cup with a CPU goalie?? Ohhhhhhhhh

14 minutes ago, Will said:

I feel like Victor did quite a bit of 3-1 research at one time, you might have been able to pilfer something but I can't find it anyway. 

all I know is S45 Helsinki over Calgary :D @eaglesfan036

It should only take me a couple more hours when I get back at it, and I'll have more data as well. How often has a team gone up 2-0 ended up losing? Who knows? NOT VICTOR'S RESEARCH, THAT'S WHO!

(for the record, it happened three times from S18 to S34)

10 minutes ago, STZ said:

You guys weren't down 3-0.. how exactly would you be making history?

winning a cup with a CPU goalie?? Ohhhhhhhhh

I will have you know that said goalie in question did stop 15 shots. However he came in too late for it to matter.

23 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

So where did Scotty take the S1 to S17 data?

It's in the archives for only his records. Right there is also a thing at the bottom that says "edited by Scotty".