The Top 75 VHL Players (S75): By The Numbers

qCNMgFH.png

Be sure to check out the other great work by VSN Writers:

BoG Update 2/22  |  Under 250: VHML Playoff PreviewTop 75  | Around the VHL- Feb 14  | Talents Behind the Trophies | VSN Radio | 75: What Got Us Here

Whenever you complete a project the magnitude of the VHL Top 75 for S75 that VSN recently finished, it’s hard to remove yourself from the work. My respect and admiration for these players - some of which I’ve played against, others I’ve only seen mentioned in passing - has skyrocketed. It’s impossible not to be impacted after reading their stories and accomplishments and how their legacies have irrevocably left a mark on the league’s history.

So, I wanted to revisit the Top 75 one more time before it is laid to rest in it’s own corner of the VHL History archives (Thanks @Victor!) and take a look from a different angle. Not so much about the players but about some of the underlying numbers. I’m a stats guy and I think some of you are too. Hopefully, you’ll find this interesting and give you yet a little more perspective on the VHL.

VHL Top 75: By The Numbers

20393 - The number of words penned by the Top 75 contributing writers to create the player write-ups not including the headers and intros. That’s an average of almost 272 words per player.

600 - The VHL record for career goals scored by the incomparable Scotty Campbell (#1).

461 - Single season hits record set in S61 by Gabriel McAllister (#4).

300 - The VHL record for career goals by a defenseman set by Alexander Valiq (#37) who also is one behind Campbell for career power play goals with 146.

138 - The combined number of Continental Cups won by all the players in the Top 75.

131 - Number of players (as of the end of S75) in the VHL Hall of Fame.

58 - Single season goalie wins record set in S54 by Rhett McGrath (#50).

54 - The number of users who have players listed in the Top 75.

23 - The number of different countries represented in the Top 75. A true testament to the league’s global impact. Top Countries: Canada, USA, England, Finland, Switzerland.

22 - Single season shutouts record set in S51 by Sandro Clegane (#71).

RNeavaN.png

22 - Overall draft position of goalie Alex Gegeny (#57) selected by the Hamilton Canucks in the S5 VHL Entry Draft. Gegeny is the lowest drafted player in the Top 75.

18 - Overall draft position of goalie Norris Stopko (#48) and left winger Jardy Bunclewirth (#64) in the S57 and S16 Entry Drafts respectively. They are the second-lowest drafted players in the Top 75.

15 - Number of goalies that made it onto the Top 75.

11 - Only 75 players made the list but there were 11 other Honorable Mentions who received a few votes in the Top 75 but ultimately didn’t make the cut. The player given the highest ranking of the HMs was defenseman Mats Johnsson who was placed at #56 by one panelist. They await the Top 100.

11 - The number of “GM players” on the list - a practice that has recently been dismissed.

9 - Number of seasons Sterling Labatte (#13) played in the VHL, the most All-Time.

6 - Six players on this list never won a Continental Cup. I won’t list them here, but at least they still made the Top 75!

5 - The number of players @Victor and @sterling each have in the Top 75, the most of any users.

5 - Numerous VHL awards have been won a record 5 times by a single player but the most significant is Conner Low (#5) who won 5 consecutive Labatte Trophies as the best defenseman from S36-S40.

4 - Numerous VHL awards have been won a record 4 times by a single player but the most significant might just be goalie Rayz Funk (#75) who recently won his 4th Kanou Trophy as the MVP of the VHL playoffs - a feat few thought would ever happen.

3 - The number of times Julius Freeman won the Brooks Trophy as the VHL’s goal-scoring leader - one of only four players in history to have won 3 or more Brooks Trophies - and yet, he didn’t make the list.

2 - Only two players have won 5 Continental Cups in their careers and they are Leeroy Jenkins (#12) and Black Velvet (#39).

2 - Sets of brothers both ranked in the Top 75: goalies Greg (#3) and Sandro Clegane (#71) and defensemen Phil (#44) and Jeff Hamilton (#60).

1 - Scotty Campbell: The VHL’s Great One.

Thanks for reading!

Players Mentioned: @scotty @CowboyinAmerica @Squinty @sterling @Higgins @Pominville29 @Quik @Koradek @Bushito @JardyB10 @Rayzor_7 @STZ @Smarch @Phil @Victor @rjfryman

• Admin
2 hours ago, sterling said:

I guess if I have to share company with anyone, @Victoris a good choice. ;)

Inseparable. I've purposefully made terrible players recently so we stay together.

On 3/4/2021 at 6:14 PM, animal74 said:

11 - The number of “GM players” on the list - a practice that has recently been dismissed.

I feel the need to audit this because I have 2 of these so it feels low...