Dear Reader

fishy

Dear reader,

If you’re reading this, it means you’ve found a page of my diary. If that’s the case, please stop reading now.

I know it’s been a while since I last wrote, but that’s mostly because I’ve been so tired! I went home to visit my family this weekend, and it was great to see them. It was nice to be back, almost like living in a dream.

I was a bit disappointed to have missed the draft, but because of the pandemic, it was all virtual anyway. I tuned in for a short while to peek at who Geoff brought to the team, exchanged some excited messages with my teammates, and called it a night.

There’s been quite a bit of talk around the VHL lately. From the debates about letting fans attend to a proposal to rework award voting, a lot of the players have been stepping forward with concerns about the current state of the league. Truthfully, I think it’s great. Just like how you play the game better when you trust your teammates, the league is more welcoming and satisfying to play in when you feel like everyone has the same goal: where we gather to play a game that we all love and have fun doing it.

I think the change in fan attendance is a good one - they’ve decided to increase the accessibility of the games. I’m not sure of the details, but I know it involves more channels of access. Regardless, I think it’s going to relax fans knowing that they don’t have to pay the $3,847,248,957,239 USD for a ticket to the game. (Actually, I don’t know if I mentioned it earlier, but much to my surprise, we actually did have one person attend a game. Can you believe that? I wanna be that guy.)

Award voting, though an internal process, was also brought up by a player on the Stars (I think? I don’t remember). He pointed out the low turnout in voting this season and the lack of transparency about members’ votes. The league only knows how many votes players receive for an award, left without any word on why the voters chose who they did. Members of the BoG were quick to comment on the topic - a lot of them pointed out how voting was only available for a short window of time. Ideas like introducing an awards committee were thrown around, but ultimately shot down by veterans of the league that have lived through an unsuccessful attempt to make that work.

It’s just had me thinking about how frustrating it can be, as a player, to watch my fellow players get to the point of arguing with each other. The point of the league is to have fun and be a pleasant community, but when we’re messing with offensive discussions, it gets to the point where you start to wonder whether it’s worth it.

At the end of the day, it’s a game, and I want to enjoy playing it. Until we start actually listening to each other, the tension among our players can’t be relieved. The drama is dull.

- Matty

Edited by fishy

30 minutes ago, fishy said:

Dear reader,

If you’re reading this, it means you’ve found a page of my diary. If that’s the case, please stop reading now.

Does this work on updaters?  Could I bet getting an easy 6 each week?? 

Meme Think GIF

1 minute ago, Garsh said:

Does this work on updaters?  Could I bet getting an easy 6 each week?? 

Meme Think GIF

i'll be honest i considered writing an article about my day and just replacing irl people with vhl players to see if i could get away with it

38 minutes ago, fishy said:

i'll be honest i considered writing an article about my day and just replacing irl people with vhl players to see if i could get away with it

you can get away with anything really

8 hours ago, fishy said:

It’s just had me thinking about how frustrating it can be, as a player, to watch my fellow players get to the point of arguing with each other. The point of the league is to have fun and be a pleasant community, but when we’re messing with offensive discussions, it gets to the point where you start to wonder whether it’s worth it.

At the end of the day, it’s a game, and I want to enjoy playing it. Until we start actually listening to each other, the tension among our players can’t be relieved. The drama is dull.

@fishy   I hear ya !!!  (and lotsa respect)  I have been playing online games since JC was a choirboy and this aspect really hasn't changed.  There, unfortunately, is no accounting for the varying degrees of aggressivity in the community at large.  I am also uncomfortable with forum drama.  In any event, rather than walking away I chose to do:

1.)  Not get involved in the drama.  I don't even read the threads.  If someone tags me, I'll check to see what slanderous (but possibly true) things are being said, and then not comment.  I can still enjoy the game without being embroiled in the negativity.

2.)  OK, so if you absolutely MUST get involved, I try not to take sides.  Look for the middle road.  Try to straddle the fence and remain comfortable (OUCH !).  That way you can act as a voice of reason. perhaps even a peacemaker.  The more well known you are in any particular community the more influence you have.

Review:  I'm sorry.  I kept reading.  Glad I did.  I thought this was very effective - primarily because of the way it was able to maintain the tone of a personal diary all the way through.  Not a cold hard analysis of anything, but rather a reaction to things in the writer's life.  Also, thought some excellent points were made and agree with the overarching theme of "let's all just get along and treat each other well since we are all here to relax and enjoy a cool hobby together."  9/10

Review:

So, a diary entry free for everyone to see? Why not! Actually love the concept, makes me intrigued to read the article instantly. I think that it is interesting you focused on award voting as the main topic for this "diary" entry.  What I find extremely pleasing is that you look at this whole situation from a outside look and I have to say that is the best way to form an opinion like this. Also, to have fun indeed is the goal but then again - drama does add some spice to everyday life! In the end, article is well written, great grammar, no problems there. Keep up the good work! 9/10

Edited by FrostBeard