Add an "Active, or Inactive" Word on Player Pages

Plate

Hi it's me the guy that's been inactive for two seasons. A lot of the rules around active and inactive players being playable/categorized have been tightened up recently. Thought it might be nice to expand upon that further and officially set an active and inactive word on the player page. 

At least that way, when the WJC and World Cup teams roll around, it's easier for GMs to select players as they will know by looking at player pages whether or not they are eligible to be selected. When I was GM of Team World that one season there was some grey area. There was a high TPE player available and they were inactive, but I would have been flamed for not picking them for the roster.  Labeling them with a formal inactive sticker would mean that any confusion is dispersed. 

There are also some members on the forums that are active here but not on discord. Members that are unique to either platform wouldn't know whether or not each other are active. This small method is a good indicator to show people who's active and who is not.

My final point that I would like to bring up is that it would make GMs more accountable for playing inactive players over active players. In my case, when I was inactive, NYA had no other choice but to play me since they didn't have defensive depth. And yes, if they had someone else, I would rather them play that person over me. It's possible that another team, especially in the M, would have an alternate readily available but wouldn't play them. 

image.thumb.png.896e7349ed1dd0e45784ea8e3092c895.png

Possible spot for the word "Active" or "Inactive" to be on the player page.

Edited by Plate

The WJC already had a system but it was manual. I wrote something for future WJC already and for the VHLM already. It is not being rolled out to public because it doesn't need to be but at least for the purposes of those two entities this is already a thing and taken care of.

That being said WJC and VHLM have in their rules about inactivity. You need to challenge the VHL inactivity before this matters to them or the WC.

2 hours ago, Plate said:

There was a high TPE player available and they were inactive, but I would have been flamed for not picking them for the roster.  Labeling them with a formal inactive sticker would mean that any confusion is dispersed. 

If anyone flames a WJC GM for picking an active over inactive they can come talk to me.

Edited by rjfryman

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, Victor said:

That requires manual allocation by someone ahead of opening FA (unless that has changed recently)

Yeah the portal doesn't really check which users are active other than it saves when they signed in. Without changing activity rules there's really no good way of doing that. Basing activity on updating is dumb though.

2 hours ago, rjfryman said:

That being said WJC and VHLM have in their rules about inactivity. You need to challenge the VHL inactivity before this matters to them or the WC.

If it makes anyone feel better, my gold medal-winning Team Mercenaries was 100% comprised of active members, and 10/12 of them joined the team locker room. World Cup GMs do value activity as well. 

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Yeah the portal doesn't really check which users are active other than it saves when they signed in. Without changing activity rules there's really no good way of doing that. Basing activity on updating is dumb though.

From the rulebook: 

4.2 - Inactive Players / Free Agents

An Inactive Player is any player who has not had a TPE Update in the past 30 days. An Inactive Free Agent refers to a UFA who has not updated their player in the 30 days prior to the opening of Free Agency. 

Obviously you don't need to implement one word on the player page. I just thought it would be nicer to have than not at all.

Which begs the bigger question. What is an inactive player if it isn't someone that hasn't updated for a while?

Edited by Plate

• Commissioner
13 minutes ago, Plate said:

Which begs the bigger question. What is an inactive player if it isn't someone that hasn't updated for a while?

Some people, especially those in later seasons who are banking TPE anyway, are completely active members of the community who simply choose to bulk update every once in awhile. They are still doing their tasks and participating in the site and are therefore active but aren’t necessarily going to be updating frequently.

7 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Some people, especially those in later seasons who are banking TPE anyway, are completely active members of the community who simply choose to bulk update every once in awhile. They are still doing their tasks and participating in the site and are therefore active but aren’t necessarily going to be updating frequently.

Just adding that this is due to fight regression rather then adding further TPE to their build so they bank most of the season but wait for Regression to be added before adding the bank TPE to bring their player stats back to last season or close to last season levels. 

• Commissioner
13 minutes ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Just adding that this is due to fight regression rather then adding further TPE to their build so they bank most of the season but wait for Regression to be added before adding the bank TPE to bring their player stats back to last season or close to last season levels. 

Correct, that is the intention. For example my build is complete around 965 TPA so anything above that I’m best off banking it so that when regression hits I can immediately get my attributes back, or at least have an easier time with it. Otherwise if I added the points I’d be just adding them to categories I don’t feel I need and getting hit harder by regression since my attributes would be higher.

Mind you banking doesn’t necessarily mean bulk updating. I’ve been banking for ages now but still update weekly because it’s easier to remember to do it weekly for me; plus it’s only 1 update but anyway. It’s just that if your build isn’t changing weekly there’s even less reason to update weekly as long as you’re still doing the work.

• Commissioner
3 hours ago, Plate said:

From the rulebook: 

The part you quoted contradicts a section of rulebook where it states it's exclusively related to the last time the user posts. Not sure who changed it but afaik updating is not the proper definition for VHL purposes.

5 hours ago, Sonnet said:

claiming TPE = updating

at least in the case of active v inactive

True, but doing TPE tasks =/= claiming TPE, which was what Bek was saying in the comment you quoted. If strictly claiming it is the definition of active, regardless of whether you've done the task, then there are a lot of contributing members to the site who are "inactive"

• Admin
26 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

True, but doing TPE tasks =/= claiming TPE, which was what Bek was saying in the comment you quoted. If strictly claiming it is the definition of active, regardless of whether you've done the task, then there are a lot of contributing members to the site who are "inactive"

Are there though? Even you and eaglesfan claim on the weekly now,no? Who else is left?

3 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

Do you not claim Practice Facility? That’s always been, essentially, an activity check, which is why we made it based on tpe claims. The possibility of someone being strictly portal and not posting on the forums makes forum posting for “actives” messier. 

17 minutes ago, Quik said:

Do you not claim Practice Facility? That’s always been, essentially, an activity check, which is why we made it based on tpe claims. The possibility of someone being strictly portal and not posting on the forums makes forum posting for “actives” messier. 

Occasionally, very rarely though

I bulk claim, full stop. No caveats to that. No "well, I claim all my tasks once every month and a half, but I do X or Y every week" - that's not bulk claiming. If I say I bulk claim, that already kind of implies no about practice facility, as it's not available to bulk claim. Tynan's been a bit of an exception, as he's only existed for a few weeks, but Havlova generally claimed in about 80-100 TPE chunks. Still hit the 12 about 2/3 of weeks, and 6 on the other weeks - the important part is that a. the task itself is done in the proper week and b. that it doesn't fuck with finance caps, both of which are true of me.

Well I'm glad my suggestions are starting deeper conversations about activity. 

However, based on section 4.5 and with Quiks recent message it looks like activity was switched from posting to updating. The whole point of the "Active" and "Inactive" label was deliberately to erase part of the grey area that we are having this discussion about. Maybe this should be a talking point in the BoG in the next meeting. 

6 hours ago, Quik said: