Cabe McJake - Veteran Presence

Red

On March the 20th The Riga Reign held a pre season interview with one of there many rising stars to get a sense of what there mindset is going into to a new season. The Reign have a plethora of prospects who are now transitioning into leadership roles as they advance further into there careers.

Reporter: after a successful rookie season last year what are your expectations for yourself and Riga in the upcoming campaign.

McJake: For myself I'll be happy if I had a relatively similar season to last year. I think my main goal and focus is with the team and how far we can go this season. We are still extremely deep and young and intend on growing along throughout the season, I think the bare minimum expectation is that we make the playoffs and hopefully we can get through a round or two once we get there.

Reporter: How does it feel now to not be a rookie, is there a difference in the way you handle yourself in the locker room or are you pretty much the same.

McJake: For the most part yes I believe being a veteran hasn't changed me that much but there are some little things that are different about not being a rookie. Being a veteran means taking a bit more responsibility in the locker room when it comes to engaging others. Now I try to be open and helpful to younger Riga prospects in order to help them and welcome them to our team. On the ice all that's changed is just being a little more vocal and a little less wide eyed. All in all, being a veteran just means having a bit more responsibly for your team and your teammates.

Reporter: Is there anything in your rookie season you regret or anything that you learned that you'll use to improve on this season as you move toward a more veteran role.

McJake: I think my play in my first season was a little risky. I tended to be too offensively oriented and often times found myself out of position which caused defensive lapses on my end. I don't necessarily regret playing that way but I do think I need to be better defensively in the future to make sure I am an all around player. Off the ice I think I'll need to be more of a presence, as rookie it was good enough to just play hockey and do my thing but know it will be increasingly important to communicate with my teammates on the bench and be a team player.