"Veteran Presence?" Questioned Robert Bouchard

Gaikoku-hito

837694065_VeteranPresenseHeader.jpg.a0f2a15ba4703674c6a523a44ffd0711.jpg

Surprise rolls over his face as if questioning age old questions with much more weight then it was meant to have. He was simply asked if he would be willing to provide his perspective as a veteran and his present in the locker room.

“I am only starting my second season so how can I be a veteran already?” asked the puzzled looking Sophomore Prague Phantom player Robert Bouchard.

The rules states starts of the third year after being drafted you are now consider a veteran and we can ask you for your veteran presence.

“Wow, that just feels so wrong on so many levels but I guess if I was ready to jump into the league the first season after being drafted then it would make more sense that I would be view as one of the veterans and core player. Sadly this isn’t the situation for me; now is it?”

Yes, But would you still like to give some veteran insight on playing in the VHL by tell the rookies and prospects what it has been like to become a VHL veteran?

“Sure, I guess I have grown more as a player since joining the VHL; if not at least more facial hair. Where should I start? “

1722587546_VeteranDifference.jpg.fb13dace5cdb64344574c8e42bcfc978.jpg

Difference between being a Rookie and now a Veteran in Team head shot almost says it all doesn't it?

Is there anything differently you do compared to being now consider a veteran versus being a rookie?

“Oh, Yeah, I would say that I needed to learn to be more patient with overall role within the team in the VHL since the gap between experienced pros and the rookies is a lot more then I even consider they might have been when I first started in the league. I think this is due to the nature on VHLM where in a season or two you will be a top player on your team let alone in the league. In the VHL it just isn’t going to be the case as the players are better skates, faster, stronger and simple better through overall develop through years of training and experience.”

Is there anything that you can do to reduce the learning curve?

“Yes, Focus on your own development and understand your role with your team while expecting that to change as the team needs changes as the season progresses. Try to keep yourself grounded as you can only control what you can control and in most cases that is your own development.”

Are you still meeting the projection when you were first drafted?

“Funny question as who projections are we talking about? Teams projections? Considering I don’t know what they have projected for me as a player it is hard to know if I am meeting or failing meet or even exceeding their expectations. If I had to guess I am leaning towards I am failing to meet their expectations since they signed more players this off-season with one being in direct competition with me for a role on the team. But again I will say this focus on yourself; I cannot control who they bring into the team and my role within the team but if I control my own development. This is where I will spend my energy and my advice.”

“Focus on your own development.”

Thank you for your time and good luck in the coming season. Your first as Veteran!!

(555 words)