Brendan Telker’s Rookie Experience

Telkster

Short Term Expectations

After being selected 5th overall by the Malmo Nighthawks, Telker will be seen as the potential future star. He can come and probably make an immediate impact right from game one. When it comes to the point race for rookies this season, Telker has every shot at toping the scoring numbers this year for S77’s. In terms of sheer points you expect Telker to get this year, well that is a little harder to judge. Of course we all know the story of last year in the M. where Telker got nearly 60 assists and 60 goals in one season. I think 40-50 points his first season would be great. It may not turn several heads, but I don’t think anyone would be shocked if he stayed close to a PPG all year either, so it’s one of those things that we’ll wait and see what happens. This could depend highly on if Telker gets to start on the first line or not. Based on the current roster, I’d say it’s a 50/50 shot that he starts there.

Medium/Long Term Expectations

I can’t see Telker being anything less then a first liner come his sophomore year at this point in time. Malmo has a very young offence, with lots of room to move up the lineup in quick fashion. After an exclusive interview with Telker, he had this to say on the future with Malmo. “My hope is for everything to work out and spend my entire career here. I probably won’t have any expectations for the team in the first 2 years in terms of playoffs. I know this is a rebuilding team that is gonna need a while to grow. Obviously down the road. I hope playoffs are a happening thing.” Said Brendan. When asked about individual goals, he said he wants to do everything to help the team win, and that any points or awards are just gravy along the way. 
Reservations 

While Telker never talked about any current or near future reservations he has in his career. He did say there would only be a couple scenarios that could pop up down the road. “Say it’s 3 years into the future, and the rebuild still isn’t close to getting out of it. Then I may have to start asking some questions, and thinking more about the future I would want. Now obviously that would be a worst case scenario talk with the GM. But right now he knows where my loyalty lies. And I’ll do everything I possibly can to get this team into the playoffs again.”