Scotty Kaberle- Veteran Presence

fromtheinside

It feels like just yesterday I was getting into the Saskatoon Wild locker room and learning the ropes of the VHL. Time really does fly. From Sasky to San Diego, and then to Toronto to start my pro career, it's been one hell of a ride already. But what's changed? From my first experiences in Toronto to now, what's different?  And how has my particular role with the team changed. Well to be honest, the change has been quite dramatic and I do feel like I have a bit of a veteran presence here with Toronto. Allow me to explain...

Despite spending an additional season in the VHLM with the San Diego Marlins (a decision I am super glad I made in hindsight), I was able to immerse myself in the Toronto Legion locker room during Season 75.  While I was just a prospect, I always kept one eye on the goings-on in there. There were a few promising players in Toronto, but the team was still looking to add some more youth to truly bolster their ranks and become a competitive team. It seemed like there was a larger focus on individual performance that season, which is understandable since the team wasn't going to make a playoff run. Leo Strauss and John Merrick had monster seasons up front, while Ziarie Anigbogue had a breakthrough campaign on the blueline. Meanwhile in net, Jaxx Hextall was playing some of the best hockey of his career. There was a lot to be excited for going into my rookie season in Season 76.

Season 75 ended, and unfortunately my team in San Diego came up a bit short, losing in the semi-finals. I had a hell of a year but I was more than ready to make the jump to the pros. My focus shifted solely onto Toronto. At the draft Toronto took defenseman Kristof Welch, as well as my old Marlins teammate Rayz Funk Jr. I had connections with both these players, and I was super excited to have them join us. Both of them, along with fellow defenseman Jolly Greene Giant, and myself all joined Toronto as rookies in Season 76. Heading into the season, the excitement was high. The young nucleus coming in could've been a perfect compliment to the aforementioned pieces that were already established. But alas, it was for naught. Without rehashing too much of what has become well-known public knowledge, there was some toxicity on the team that really was dragging us all down. Trades were made, and quite frankly, it did set us back a lot. It sucked, but it needed to happen. Though it set our playoff aspirations back, there was some definite positives to draw from it. First off was getting Lester Green as part of one of the trades. This man has had a large part in changing the culture in Toronto and his veteran presence cannot be understated. But in addition to that, it really felt like everyone from that point forward was on even-footing. 

In addition to Lester we also brought in another ex-teammate of mine, Gunnar Odinsson. Gunnar and I had been defensive partners in San Diego and I knew it was going to be a terrific add for the team. His on-ice ability mixed with just being a solid teammate day in and day out would make him invaluable to our club. Season 76 ended quietly, and although were weren't where we wanted to be statistically, the mood had never been better. After the draft and a lengthy offseason, we are finally headed into the start of Season 77. We drafted promising young center Asher Reinhart who could be the key piece we need going forward up front.  Additionally we brought in John Webber who has immediately ingratiated himself to the team in the locker room. I've went from biting my tongue as a rookie to leading the charge and rallying the troops to get ready for big games. Though it may be just my second year in the league, we are a VERY young team. And because of that I do feel like I have veteran presence with the team. This core will hopefully remain largely in tact for a long time to come. Instead of being motivated by individual numbers, we are a team-oriented hivemind that works together and thrives off of each other's positivity and encouragement. It's a new Legion going forward and I am overjoyed to be at the heart of it.