BOG Update - March 28th - Return of the Transparency

Board of Governors Updates - Return of the Transparency

Good evening VHL,

It has been a few weeks now since I last updated the league on the inner happenings of the Board of Governors, and it is safe to say that a lot had happened since then.  With much of the public eye being centered on transparency about the Board of Governors, I just wanted to share something with you all.

I haven't been consistent enough in bringing you Board of Governors updates, and while a lot of it has to do with there not being much to say a lot of the time, I still regret how sparing it has been posted.  So I am committing to bringing you more consistent updates, even if they are shorter due to a lack of topics.  I took this role on because I wanted to be far more transparent with how the Board of Governors operates, and I am still committed to that cause.  Now, without that out of the way, let's get on to the recent conversation.  

Our most recent discussion has centered around the previously mentioned controversy regarding transparency and the overall impact the Board of Governors makes, positively and negatively, on the league.  This thread which was an extension of our previous BOG Correspondent discussion that gave me the opportunity to do these articles, and was mainly used recently to discuss our thoughts on what recently took place in Fishy's article on the State of the BOG.  One idea was to create a virtual newsletter that could be PM'd to every member here and there regarding recent discussions going on, and we would make it unsubscribeable for those who would rather not here about all the news.  This would be a creative way to provide our BOG updates and would give people the option to hearing about it, keeping things as inclusive as possible for the league.  Nevertheless, the conclusion was that we needed to continue trying to be more transparent and provide more updates on what's going on in there.  Additionally, we are looking at more ways to bring the Board of Governors into a more inclusive format, while still maintaining a certain level of confidentiality that is required.

The next discussion I will bring up is regarding a change in how the vote is conducted for the Dustin Funk ballot.  As some of you may know, there was some controversy this off-season regarding some players being missed on the Funk Trophy ballot.  A committee member brought forth the idea that every VHL GM would nominate one player on their team to be on the Dustin Funk Trophy ballot.  This would make it a more represented ballot with every team being featured based on the nomination from the General Manager.  This idea was welcomed with overwhelming support with only a few not seeing a fault in the current system.  I expect that this idea will be featured on this year's ballot.

We also welcomed two new BOG members recently.  bigal and MexicanCow123 have joined the handsome and always well-groomed Board of Governors team.  I can speak for the rest of the BOG and say that we are thrilled to have them in there, and already seeing some great contributions from both members.

Finally, I will shed some light on a discussion we have been having for quite some time.  While I can't share everything because of the sensitivity of some of the discussion (drastic league change) I will state that the ideas center around fixing the issue we have with roster room in the Victory Hockey League.  There are members concerned about the amount of actives on each VHL team and trying to find a way to allow everyone to play big roles and get lots of minutes.  Additionally, these changes will provide the league with a ton of jobs and that's exciting for our always growing member base.  While I hope to be able to share some of these details soon, I will say that these discussions are leading to something pretty insane and gamechanging happening in the league.

Edited by Advantage

3 hours ago, Advantage said:

While I hope to be able to share some of these details soon, I will say that these discussions are leading to something pretty insane and gamechanging happening in the league.

Way to leave us hangin'.

7 hours ago, Advantage said:

The next discussion I will bring up is regarding a change in how the vote is conducted for the Dustin Funk ballot

I think you guys hit a homerun on this.  Great change 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 3:37 AM, Jubis said:

I think you guys hit a homerun on this.  Great change 👍

Totally agree. Not sure on its efficacy for all the awards (in fact I think I'd hate it for all awards) but I think for the Funk it makes a lot of sense!

On 4/10/2021 at 10:17 AM, Mr_Hatter said:

Totally agree. Not sure on its efficacy for all the awards (in fact I think I'd hate it for all awards) but I think for the Funk it makes a lot of sense!

This doesn't have anything to do with anything but just a jubis thought. 

Mikko Lahtinen's career is like the craziest funk award turn around. 

From 49 points in his first 148 games.  Only to persevere into a hof player. Crazy @Beketov no way you thought he'd turn out so good after those couple seasons ? 

I use these stats to pick up  anyone who is frustrated  or feeling down with their players first couple vhl seasons. 

Edited by Jubis

• Commissioner
49 minutes ago, Jubis said:

Crazy @Beketov no way you thought he'd turn out so good after those couple seasons ? 

I really didn’t. I was tempted to retire him after my rookie contract to be honest, was sure he wasn’t going to continue once I hit Max carryover at absolute most. You taking over for Bush and actually giving Lahtinen ice time made a huge difference and then things seriously clicking in Moscow did even more.

3 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I really didn’t. I was tempted to retire him after my rookie contract to be honest, was sure he wasn’t going to continue once I hit Max carryover at absolute most. You taking over for Bush and actually giving Lahtinen ice time made a huge difference and then things seriously clicking in Moscow did even more.

Hopefully its an inspiration for players who are contemplating giving up on their players 🙏 

Edited by Jubis

• Commissioner
6 hours ago, Nykonax said:

tbf not everyone can rig after their first couple vhl seasons ;)

Oh I’m rigging when I do bad now too? Good to know.

• 2 months later...