Alternative Rulebook

Berocka

Alternative Rulebook

At first, I thought this was a dumb idea, we will just read about what if I was not drafted here or what if I was not traded, etc. Then I had the thought that this topic could be a great way to bring up changes to the league. The ideas that people keep suggesting in passing they could make a detailed media spot about their changes and how the league would look if this change were already implemented in the past. So let us go through some of the suggestions that have been made in passing and see what the league would look like if they were already written in the rule book.

1.0   GMs have an 8-term limit

There was a brief discussion in one of the BoG updates that term limits could be brought in to GMs. So, I am here to delve into that alternate universe and see what it would look like.

Firstly, the following people who would no longer be GMs

·         Enorama

·         Esso2264

·         Banackock

·         Jubo07

·         Diamond_ace

·         Hedgehog

This means that the league now needs to fill the spot of 6 GM jobs whilst losing some of the better GMs around the league. This sudden change of leadership could cause issues regarding teams, but I do not think it would be the biggest change to the league. The biggest change would come from people like Gustav & Peace who are currently in their 8th season neither have won a cup and this could be their last chance to do so. They would have an absolute firesale of future assets and buy all the top players to make their final run for a cup. This would leave the future of Davos and Toronto battered and bruised but they would risk it all for a cup. This would then happen for all GMs as if they have not won a cup yet, they may do dumb things in their final seasons to try and win one. This means a GM taking over now has nothing to work with and must build a team from nothing in a short amount of time.

You would see a huge change in the way teams are GMd and who people want to sign with in FA as they will probably get traded anyway.

2.0   AGMs get paid and are an actual job

AGMs getting paid has almost become a bit of a meme around the VHL. With each new wave of AGMs thinking they are the next best thing and deserve to be paid for the work that they do. Let us do it then, AGMs now have rights, they are now a back-up GM they get paid one TPE per week and are held up to the same standards that the GMs are. Any penalties are played against both managers and they are both responsible for the running of the team. Also, one last thing they are the instant replacement when the GM steps down. For example, right now I am Davos AGM and if Gustav says University is getting too intense and it is really hard to be an engineer, I don’t want to be a GM. Suddenly, I am brought into VHL headquarters and sworn in as the 22nd GM of HC Davos Dynamo. One thing I believe this changes the ranking of jobs for some people. A lot of people have the end goal of being a VHL GM this means that becoming a VHL AGM might be more of a sort after job as they are next in line for the VHL job. People who want to be a VHLM GM will be able to follow that path. Instead of it being a person sort of going AGM -> VHLM GM -> VHL GM. It would be a choose your path, if you want to be a leader in the VHLM you would get a VHLM AGM job and the same with VHL. So how would this change the league as it is currently? There would be some people who would no longer be VHLM GMs and potentially some people who would no longer want to be AGMs. Using myself as an example I would step down of the AGM role as I do not have any intention of running a VHL team any time soon. I know that there are some VHLM GMs that would try and move to a VHL AGM role so they can get the experience and eventually get that job when their GM steps down. We would see more of a split of people choosing if they want to help with member retention in the VHLM or lead a dynasty in the VHL. If this change were to come in right now there would be a huge shake up in jobs and would be very interesting to watch. Here is the list of who I think would hold each job

VHL GMs (would not change):

1.           Ricer13

2.           JeffD

3.           Enorama

4.           GustavMattias

5.           Jubo07

6.           McWolf

7.           Josh

8.           Hylands

9.           Spartan

10.       Esso2264

11.       Diamond_ace

12.       Hedgehog337

13.       Banackock

14.       Peace

15.       fonziGG

16.       .sniffuM

VHL AGMs – let us assume that everyone that is an AGM wants to be a GM (except me)

1.           Patrik Tallinder

2.           Blazzer

3.           BigAl

4.           Matty Ice

5.           Brewins15

6.           STZ

7.           Dlamb

8.           Domg5

9.           Ledge_and_Dairy

10.       Sixersfan594

11.       Dasboot

Below now are people I believe would go for a VHL job over a VHLM one

12.       Rayzor_7

13.       InstantRockstar

14.       Rory

15.       Advantage

16.       Doomsday

So, it now leaves 5 job spots open in the VHLM GM role where we could see some of those AGMs step up for example they might be

1.       A_ferk

2.       Fromtheinside

3.       Mr_Hatter

4.       Emi

5.       Tcookie

This would then open up more spots for the AGM role in the VHLM.

3.0   VHL teams will be split between 4 Divisions

Division 1: The Americas

·         Seattle Bears

·         Toronto Legion

·         New York Americans

·         Calgary Wranglers

Division 2: Europe

·         HC Davos Dynamo

·         Helsinki Titans

·         Riga Reign

·         Moscow Menace

Division 3: Asia

·         Taiwan Taipans

·         Ho Chi Minh City Doucs

·         Tokyo Samurais

·         New Delhi Elephants

Division 4: Southern Hemisphere

·         Melbourne Kangaroos

·         Auckland Warriors

·         Johannesburg Springboks

·         Antananarivo Lemurs

I think this adds some more colour and fun into the league, there are some cool ideas you can do with having more locations for teams. I created these all off the cuff but there are some great locations that you could bring in some amazing hockey teams. How the league would look if there were these divisions. I think we would see more media spots and graphics based around locations and fans. People might try and get to a certain division or team in free agency due to their location and it might bring in more worldwide fans.

So, what do you think of the alternative rulebook. What rule would you add and how would it change the league when you really think about it.

1165 words wk ending 18/4 & 25/4

Excellent and original MS my dude! There's definitely some pros and cons to each move (@diamond_ace gets shots twice in this article by being both fired as GM and having Prague relocated to a non-traditional market, you're absolutely merciless!), but they're all fun to discuss and consider all the same.

Grade: 6/6

1 hour ago, JardyB10 said:

Excellent and original MS my dude! There's definitely some pros and cons to each move (@diamond_ace gets shots twice in this article by being both fired as GM and having Prague relocated to a non-traditional market, you're absolutely merciless!), but they're all fun to discuss and consider all the same.

Grade: 6/6

While I have fought for Prague to become a team for probably about a real life decade, and would absolutely not move them if given the choice, if this was forced upon me I wouldn't hate Johannesburg or Antananarivo (I'm also probably one of about 15-20 people on the site that knows where Antananarivo is)

6 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

While I have fought for Prague to become a team for probably about a real life decade, and would absolutely not move them if given the choice, if this was forced upon me I wouldn't hate Johannesburg or Antananarivo (I'm also probably one of about 15-20 people on the site that knows where Antananarivo is)

Yeah I thought that you would enjoy a couple of the Southern Hemisphere teams

12 hours ago, Berocka said:

Division 4: Southern Hemisphere

·         Melbourne Kangaroos

·         Auckland Warriors

·         Johannesburg Springboks

·         Antananarivo Lemurs

Good job not turning the Southern Hemisphere division into the Aussie division, any of those teams would be great to play for. Hey remember when Madagascar had the black plague a few years ago? Doesn't matter if I get to be a Lemur.

The AGM-> GM rule is intriguing. I wonder, did you mean the AGM to be the immediate replacement if the GM dies mid-term AND the immediate replacement when the GM gets term-yeeted? From the AGM's perspective, that's a 16 season management career, getting into straight up bananas Banacock levels.

There's also a lot to be said for the league choosing who represents it as it's management team. They've always pushed back against AGM jobs because they're chosen by the GMs, and it's easy to just toss free TPE to someone on your team who needs it. Would you propose GMs and AGMs apply for jobs together as a package deal, like a US President/Vice President? I wouldn't want to get hired as a GM and have the blues tell me who my unpaid and unloved intern is in case we don't get along. I dunno, it's a tricky balancing act.

Good stuff as always B

30 minutes ago, bigAL said:

Good job not turning the Southern Hemisphere division into the Aussie division

Yeah I am trying to make it interesting

30 minutes ago, bigAL said:

The AGM-> GM rule is intriguing. I wonder, did you mean the AGM to be the immediate replacement if the GM dies mid-term AND the immediate replacement when the GM gets term-yeeted? From the AGM's perspective, that's a 16 season management career, getting into straight up bananas Banacock levels.

The rules are meant to be separate short stories so I never really thought about the AGM GM and term limit interactions

31 minutes ago, bigAL said:

Would you propose GMs and AGMs apply for jobs together as a package deal

Blue team hires 16 AGMs, the GMs fight for who they want

11 minutes ago, Berocka said:

Blue team hires 16 AGMs, the GMs fight for who they want

This looks interesting..

Gms usually hire someone that they mesh well with.  Some gms wouldnt get their guy or just want to hire outside of that proposed pool

Hey! Great idea making an alternative rulebook! seems like you put a lot of thought into the content and organization of the article. Definitely agree with making AGM a paid job, the do work too! solid 10/10