Gritty's Music Reviews: Punisher: Part 1

mediocrepony

IDEA CREDIT: @Bobo

Thank you for letting me do a review in a similar fashion!

So, I have decided to do a review on potentially my favorite album, by Phoebe Bridgers, called Punisher. I am ranking the songs in order of my favorite to least favorite.
THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION. PLEASE FORM YOUR OWN.

This is a list of my favorite songs in order on Punisher. this is also part one of 2.

1. Kyoto

Kyoto is my favorite song on the album, differing from the majority of songs that it is not a slow, slightly sad or romantic song, and instead more of a pop-ish song, combining catchy lyrics with a great beat and hook that have been stuck in my head for ages. Better than Chinese Satellite for the sole reason it doesn't take a while to get up to the good parts. The song is may be the only one I have ever heard with a twist ending, saying " Guess I lied, I'm a liar, who lies, 'cause I'm a liar", potentially rendering all of the things she said earlier in the song null and void, such as " I'm gonna kill you, if you don't beat me to it".

Beat: 92.5/100 Lyrics: 95/100 Overall: 93.75/100

TOP LYRICS:

He said you called on his birthday,

you were off by like 10 days, 

but you get a few points for trying

2.Chinese Satellite

A close second to Kyoto, Chinese Satellite details Bridgers' sadness that there isn't something else, as she said in her interview with Apple Music. "If I’m being honest, this song is about turning 11 and not getting a letter from Hogwarts, just realizing that nobody’s going to save me from my life, nobody’s going to wake me up and be like, “Hey, just kidding."" Another not completely slow song, with a great not-sure-if-i-can-call-it-a-beat-drop. 
Beat 88/100 Lyrics: 95/100 overall: 91.5

TOP LYRICS:
You were screamin' at the Evangelicals,

They were screamin' right back from what I remember

When you said I will never be your vegetable,

Because I think when you're gone, it's forever

3. Graceland Too

Beautiful song, yet I can't quite place why. First entirely slow song, but definitely deserves top 5 placement. Song about a lover who has lost their partner, in this case I believe put in perspective Elvis's lover, multiple times referencing Elvis and the title is Graceland Too, so yeah. Sweet, and mourning song that I heavily recommend.

Beat: 82/100, Lyrics 93/100 Overall (added 2 points overall) 89.5

TOP LYRICS:
So we spent what was left of our serotonin,

To chew on our cheeks and stare at the moon

Said she knows she lived through it to get to this moment

Ate a sleeve of saltines on my floor and I knew then

4.I Know The End

Sounds similar to Chinese Satellite, but somehow at the same time has a totally different feel. Pretty quiet, until the middle and end, when there is a bit of a screaming session. Sings about an apocalyptic suburban country drive, about people thinking they are seeing UFOs, government drones and other things. Doesn't have the same feeling as Graceland Too, and not entirely in a bad way. It is a much different song, but lacks a special feeling for most of the song like Graceland Too does. Best lyrics of the album

Beat: 80/100 Lyrics 98/100 Overall: 88

TOP LYRICS:

Went looking for a creation myth

Ended up with a pair of cracked lips

Windows down, scream along

To some America First rap country song

A slaughterhouse, an outlet mall Slot machines, fear of God

5. ICU

Another song with hauntingly good lyrics, ICU is about Bridgers' break up with a band member, with lyrics like "Now I can't even get you to play the drums". A very good song, yet not on the same level as many others on the list

Beat: 80/100 Lyrics: 94/100 Overall: 86

TOP LYRICS:

I hate it when she opens her mouth

It's amazing to me how much you can say

When you don't know what you're talking about

Those are (imo) the top 5 songs on Punisher. Stay tuned for Part 2, maybe coming soon!

Edited by GrittyIsKing09
spelling