DC Dragons: On to the Next

Wolski Looks to His Final Season

Coming into this season, the VHL did not know what to expect from the DC Dragons. For awhile they were one of the top teams, but last season they had some big names retire. Big names like Benny Graves, Guy Lesieur, Cinnamon Block, Lewis Dawson, and more. Asking any team to follow up a contending season without those players is going to be a hard ask, but the Dragons went out there and made their push.

Their big acquisition for this season was that of defenseman Alex Letang, who of course is a superstar player for any squad, and was going to be a very important piece for the Dragons if they wanted to go far. Not only that, but veteran goaltender Stone Wolski would have to put on a stellar season if the Dragons had any chance to make the playoffs, or win the title. DC was going to have to win a lot of games in the back half of the season if they wanted to solidify a playoff spot, and unfortunately for them, it just wasn't in the cards.

The DC Dragons had a rollercoaster of a season, which they seem to often do, but this time it did not end well for them. At the end of the season they sit dead last in the North American Conference, and have one of the worst goal differentials in the league at -53. DC struggled a ton with consistency, and just could not get any big winning streaks going to end the season. Crazy enough, in their last 22 games to end the season, they only won 5 games. Obviously, that's horrible for any team, and especially for a team that was battling for a playoff spot. They fell apart when it mattered most, and there were no areas of the game where they could hold it together.

--------------------------------

USATSI_15446215_168383996_lowres.jpg

--------------------------------

Interestingly enough, goaltender Stone Wolski ended with a 92% in saves, and a 3.36 in goals against average. 92% is pretty decent for a goaltender, but the team had a difficult time all season getting consistent both defensively and offensively. There were a few games where Wolski put on a show and stole the win, but this team from what we saw was going to need plenty of those if they wanted to see the post-season.

With that all said, next season will be Stone Wolski's last in the VHL, due to forced retirement. He has been hard in the gym making sure that he can come back next season and still be up to par with the rest of the VHL.

"Next season will be my last, so I really want to go out there and make a mark. The ultimately goal is of course the cup, so the goal is for me to be competing and working towards that goal. The hope is that it's still on this team, but whatever the GM wants to do is fine with me. I have had my own individual successes over the duration of my career, but to me, that just isn't good enough. I want to win it all. I want to win the cup for myself and my teammates."

- Stone Wolski on next season

Review: Good MS my fellow goalie bud, capturing some of the frustration of the season for the dragons and a small recap of what last season to lead up to this one. I like the inclusion of your stats for the season and the quote from Wolski. Love the picture as well, good amount of content to read and good pacing, awesome post. 10/10

Review:  Always glad to read an MS from one of Lesieur's former teammates.  Tough season for DC and the tone of the article reflects that.  Thankfully, the success of Wolski included makes it bearable to read (from the standpoint of a DC fan).  Love the photo.  8/10