S77 GM Announcement #1

bigAL

WJC GM Announcement #1

Another year of playoffs means another VHL World Junior Championship tournament is right around the corner!

The first job of the commissioners every season is to hire the GMs. My job is pretty sweet, I love it, and I’d never complain about it, but shit do I hate the hiring process. The VHL community has grown so much in the S70s in terms of both quantity and quality of members. The people we have joining our little ol’ forum are engaged, enthusiastic, and eager to help out in any way they can. It’s a shame that there’s so few management jobs, because we have a very deep pool of eligible candidates. RJ and I are fortunate that we have five GM spots to fill and not just one, because I cannot imagine the stress of hiring one single VHLM GM.

Before we get started: all successful candidates have been contacted. If you don’t know if you got the job, you didn’t. Don’t let that discourage you - keep applying! We notice when people use setbacks to motivate them, and appreciate people dedicated enough to keep applying.

One job of the WJC is to create opportunities for members to get their feet wet in the management side of the game. We talk a lot about how VHLM AGM is the entry-level job in management, but truthfully, even that is a prestigious and hard-to-come-by position these days. Every year, we get to five people their “first big break” as managers. The WJC is a place for rookies to learn the ropes of managing, to use their skills to hype the hell out of a team, and to show off to the world why they are the next great VHLM GM. For some, that payoff comes immediately (see: Thad and Kaleeb getting hired as VHLM GM right after the tournaments finished in S75 and 76); for others the WJC opens the door enough for an experienced manager to take a shot on them as AGMs; and another group yet come into the tournament as AGMs proving that they’re ready to take over a team of their own. Whatever their experience, the WJC is a key milestone on the path to a VHL/M GM position.

With all that being said, let’s see who gets the honour and the responsibility to select, manage, and hype the five WJC teams this season. In reverse order of last year’s standings, here are our GM picks for the only two teams to not medal in the tournament:

TEAM USA
S76 tagline: Red, White, and OOF

It’s always an exciting opportunity to lead a last-place team to glory the following year, and this year’s chief American has a big task ahead of them.

This member had the opportunity not once, but twice this week to wow our judges with their interview skills. This person is a newer member (Feb 1 birthday) but has made a splash in the league already. In addition to getting hired as the AGM of the Houston Bulls, this member is now tasked with bringing Team USA back to relevance.

Big congratulations to:

Spoiler

Nic Mariani! @Mistxh J

Team Canada
S76 tagline: O Not Again

Maybe THIS is the year Canada finds some real success, he says for the umpteenth season in a row.

The Canadian GM is a more experienced member who has already cracked a VHL roster (October 2, 2020 birthday). This one’s been around in the VHL main server, but is also a hyper-active member on his own team servers. This is his first crack at a management job, but I don’t think it’ll be his last. This guy is part clown, part git-r-dun, and all-around beauty.

Fire up the BBQ, throw on the dogs, and get ready to celebrate the newest Team Canada GM:

Spoiler

Cowboy Prout! @Prout

Stay tuned as we announce the GMs for the good teams tomorrow 👁️

Don’t know I feel about being part clown. Something tells me Al might of got away with one here🤔 however LETS GO CANADA!!! I cannot wait to try and pull the upset. 

also @Mistxh J love your enthusiasm around the league. I hope you enjoy this tournament being behind the one and only Team Canada !!!! WE THE NORTH!