Gustav's 5,007th Post Party

Gustav

I wanted to put up a stupid egotistical thread like this for my 5,000th post, but I forgot about that so here we are. I invite all of you to bask in the radiant glow of my ego.

HCxD8LC.mp4

Pictured: the radiant glow of my ego. Bask in it.

But to make this thread meaningful for the sake of conversation, I'd like to put forward a prompt for our community. What's your best VHL story? Bonus points if not everyone remembers it--I'll go first.

Back in S66 (I think), I was one of the draft's hot rookies, and as such, I managed to see myself picked in the first round, as Jerry Garcia, worst-ever 1500-TPE player, went 7th overall to Malmo. Being an expansion team, as we were, we had quite a bit of cap space, and since we weren't there to compete, @Advantage went and handed out some bonuses to our players. I was the first one to get a bonus offer, in the form of a cool $1 million.

But, you see, this was also the first time ADV had used the portal for GM business, so instead of $1 million, I inadvertently got a bonus offer of...$1. Which I accepted, because I figured it was probably $1 million and I was just reading things weird. Well, turns out it wasn't, and I'd just accepted a dollar onto my contract. I was then given a real bonus offer of $1 million, and I accepted that too.

I then open up the Nighthawks' Discord server and see this:

uDn7OUK.png

And not understanding the backup-goalie-gives-you-extra-money-to-work-with rule, I proceed to think I'd just put our team over cap with my stupid one-dollar bonus. I apologize profusely and probably call myself an idiot a lot, until the rule is explained to me two or three times and I finally understand that no, we did not just lose a pick because I put us one dollar over cap.

So yeah, what's your favorite VHL story? That, and FEED MY 5,007-POST EGO.

My favorite VHL story is when I was a young AGM lad, and I invited my friend to the league. I proceeded to offer him a contract via the portal and never made an offer via the forum. Then I received a good number of pings from the discord gm channel... a rather.. odd.. conversation.

Either that or getting yelled at by Elijah everyday, calling me too young for the VHL (or something like that).

1 minute ago, Wolverine said:

My favorite VHL story is when I was a young AGM lad, and I invited my friend to the league. I proceeded to offer him a contract via the portal and never made an offer via the forum. Then I received a good number of pings from the discord gm channel... a rather.. odd.. conversation.

Yeah, I remember my first signing as a VHLM GM when I did the same thing--didn't know we were supposed to offer on the forum and thought PMs were okay. Turns out they weren't and I came on Discord to a few people calling for my head in GM chat. People were still fairly understanding when I clarified that I didn't know the rule, but I definitely don't miss how the minors used to be in that regard.

1 minute ago, GustavMattias said:

People were still fairly understanding when I clarified that I didn't know the rule

Yes, that was for me too. Thankfully, lol.

Congrats on the milestone! I'd contribute a fun story but I have dementia. Though I suppose the old Abacus Thread was a nice time. It's silly looking back and isn't much of a story, but the jist of it is, some random silly drama was unfolding in a VHL thread. Probably someone bitching at the Head Grader for not giving full marks, I truly have no idea. Anyway, someone made a crack about using an abacus to count. Then someone else posted a picture of an abacus. Then someone ELSE posted a different picture of an abacus. And so it went.

Thus, in middle of a handful of dudes fighting, the thread got completely derailed by what felt like half the league posting pictures of abacuses (abaci?), and this carried on for something like 30 pages. It was stupid AF, but I/we were young and we were having a hoot. Circa S16.