VSN Presents the S78 Draft Combine Interviews

mattyIceman

Hello everyone, and welcome back to VSN Scouting's latest presentation!

A little while back, I posted an article about interviewing players/members that are eligible for the S78 draft, and these people gladly signed up to be interviewed.  It's been quite a treat getting to meet the draftees and even more so sharing it with you, the readers.

I gave the draftees the option to be interviewed as a member or as a player, so now you have the chance to learn alot about the players or members.  Players were asked a little about themselves and their performance, their thoughts on their draft ranking, if they look up to a certain VHL star and/or want to emulate them (or develop their own playstyle), and if they're gunning for Cups or Awards.  Some sure are pretty ambitious!  As for the people that wanted to be interviewed as a member, you'll learn about their time in the league, what their first impressions of the league are, and what hardware they value more.  It's been only as of late that some members from the VHL's past are making their returns, so we'll be catching up with them as well, reading about their thoughts on how the league has evolved through time and how quickly they've adapted.

Let's not waste more time and words, onto the good stuff!

TYNAN SYLVESTER @diamond_ace

Here's what came out of the sit-down with Tynan:

I feel like playing defense is my favorite. I didn't do a whole lot last season, but I was on a stacked Mississauga team and kind of expected it, so while you'd think I would not be satisfied with 13 points, I definitely am.  I'm not going to try and emulate players; I'm not the next Tyler Walker or Condor Adrienne, but I'm the first Tynan Sylvester!  As far as the draft goes, I'll probably go mid to late 1st round, just because some team will want a guarantee (or ill go higher because they won't want to fill their cap with a player coming straight up). I think I should actually go early 2nd round, but I'll probably be gone by then.  Honestly, I don't care so much about which team picks me; I have a few teams I'm not super thrilled about, but for the most part I'm fine wherever.  I'm more for a good team environment with a team full of guys I can talk to in the discord really.  I rarely ever even look at my stats in the sim, but if it has to be either cups or awards, definitely cups.  A Hall of Fame career would be nice, but I'm already in as a builder so I really don't care that much if I get in or not.

NATHAN POWERS @JB123

We were able to catch up with Powers' agent for this interview:

Powers is from Mississauga, Ontario.  He played in the Hockey Dynasty Junior League for the Portland Evergreens before making the jump to the VHLM.  I became interested in Powers because, for some reason, I have great respect for puck-moving, two-way defenseman.  I like what he's done this season, yet I think he has a lot more to prove.  He definitely looks up to the Yukon Rush management and their players in Kristof Welch and Scotty Kaberle.  Both are solid defensemen, which is what he wants to become.  That being said, Powers wants to integrate his own style as well.  To be completely honest about his draft ranking, I don't think Powers is thinking too much about his draft position.  He'll embrace any opportunity, no matter where he's picked.  However, he's working very hard to try to be a 1st rounder.  Continental cups is what he's after, for sure.  He would much rather get low ice time and win a cup with a team than be a star, win awards and be on a losing franchise.  I think, eventually, the Hall of Fame would be cool, but certainly not his number one priority.

HARD MARKINSON @STZ

A meet-the-member interview with VHL Builder STZ!

I started in the VHL in S29 with my first player Ethan Osborne. He was a player that was a lot of fun, made me fall in love with this community. After Osborne, I created Jake Wylde who was my "GM Player" as I took over as General Manager of the Helsinki Titans. After Wylde, I created Unassisted, a player who I planned to try cup-chasing with. He ended up being my most successful player having an incredible point total at the end of his career. While Unassisted was still active, the VHL implemented the 2nd Player Program, which allowed members to create a second player, as our numbers league-wide were down. I won a lotto which allowed me to enter into the program in the first wave, and I created my first goalie Rhett DeGrath. Those were my first four players, and they all went into the Hall of Fame. After that, I had two players; Ike Arkander who I used as my GM Player when I was the GM of New York Americans, but I actually had him backing up DeGrath, as I was planning on doing a goalie cycle, where I would always have a goalie of mine in their prime. I then created Bryce Zhields before I took my break from the VHL and I went inactive with that player. My latest player was Benny Graves for the DC Dragons, and I had a lot of fun playing as him for the full eight seasons. Sorry if that was long winded, just hard to summarize so many years of being a part of this community. As for my time in the VHL, I've held a number of different jobs. I've been a long-time VHLM and VHL GM. I held the position of VHL Magazine Editor for over 200 Editions. I've always tried to be an active and positive force in the league, and be a valuable member to whichever team I was on.  When I first started I really focused my energy on individual awards. I maxed my players attributes as fast as I could so that I could gain a competitive advantage. Obviously you want your team to win, and championships are the end goal, but I remember always comparing my current players to past players to see what more they needed to do to get into the record books. More recently I've really been looking to win cups. Benny didn't get anything, and it was frustrating as I really thought DC had earned success. With Markinson, he always has a Founder's Cup and is now in the finals for another cup with Mississauga. Winning championships is definitely more of a focus for me, and if I was able to win a Continental Cup with Markinson, I would consider that a successful career.

MATTI TAKALA @MOOSE_

Here's a detailed interview about Matti, possible draft steal?

I chose to play as a winger to make an impact. Being a primarily goal-scoring forward, I like making the difference in games and getting the points on the board for my team. It's always suited my personality and how I want to play the game. I grew up idolizing goal-scorers like Teemu Selanne and Alex Ovechkin, with the former being a massive inspiration. As for my performance, I think I could've been better, but it's a good start to my VHLM career and I expect to improve in upcoming seasons.  I'd like to set my own precedent and be recognized as my own player, but it's hard to not want to emulate a player like Podrick Cast. The man is tied third in a single-regular season goal total and has incredible hardware. More than anything though, I hope to be a player that people think of as an original, somebody who is electric and individual. I want to think that, by the end of my career, people will not think of me as 'the second x-player', rather as ' the first Matti Takala'.  With the training I missed due to personal ongoings, It wouldn't surprise me if I get drafted in the mid-20s to early-20s. I think that I could make the first round with lots of increased effort and will strive for such. I think I'd fit best on a team with pass-first minded players to suit my goal-scoring mindset, so perhaps a team like Warsaw or Los Angeles would be a good fit for me. I'm willing to push my game to fit onto whatever team takes their chances on me, anything to help success flourish.  The Continental Cup is the ultimate goal for me. As much as I'd love the individual recognition and hardware, like I mentioned with the Cast comparison, I'd love nothing more than to lift the cup with a team that I love playing for. It's something I've dreamed of for so long now that I'm trying my hardest to grasp at the opportunities that'll bring me closer to raising the cup above my head. If I pick up awards along the way, that's an incredible bonus. The Hall of Fame is also something that I would love nothing more than to be included in. To be honest though, I don't think I'll even consider the Hall until I raise a cup. The cup means that much to me.

DAMIEN SALDUCCI @Deee.Geee

A new member shares with us his first impressions and experience in the VHL so far:

I remember coming across a post on Reddit, I think it was in the r/EA_NHL subreddit, that gave some background to the VHL and that they were trying to attract newcomers to join. I was hooked pretty much immediately as it took me back to 20 years ago when I was participating (and then running) my own virtual wrestling league. I am pretty sure I signed up in the first 24 hours of visiting.  The league has so far been a blast. I may not always participate in the Discord channel but I certainly check it out daily, and I am in the forums daily, catching up on new posts. Learning about TPE and figuring out what kind of TPE I enjoyed earning the most was probably the biggest learning curve to integrating myself, but like anything else in life it's about applying yourself, making mistakes, learning from them, and asking questions!  In hindsight the beginning wasn't really that bad. I remember being a bit lost about TPE and earning it, but the folks on Discord and paying attention to the guides in the forum were a big help. The community is here to help guide newbies, I can never forget that.  I can see myself applying for league/management jobs down the road, but I want to immerse myself into the player experience first before taking on more responsibility.  I enjoy doing graphics and written media with a slight edge towards written work. I think I just naturally enjoy that more.
Everyone will have slightly different metrics for success, or even end up changing them throughout their career. That said, I personally prefer cups to define a great career. That's why we do this, to win.

ANZE MIKLAVZ @McKelvie

A member that was around at the beginning makes his return:

I was one of the first members back when this started in 2007. The former commissioners had another league going that I was in which folded before they made the VHL. I kept tabs on in now and again over the years but decided to come back for nostalgia.  My first player (J.McKelvie) was on the S1 Vasteras IK winning team, more of a playmaker type and I think one season he led the league in assists. After that, the player bounced around the league with Avangard, Hamilton and I believe Toronto before retiring. My second player was McLovin (not the one that’s been here recently), a defenseman that was the assistant captain on an Avangard winning team (can’t remember what season). I think after that I stopped caring about my player and stayed active on the site just for the community... I think I went inactive in 2011.  Getting a GM position would be cool but I barely have enough time for a player. I’m definitely more of a graphics guy, but don’t mind putting out an article if I have to.  It hasn't been that challenging (getting re-acclimated to the league); the TPE system is a lot different than when I was originally here but if anything it’s a bit easier.  The main part is just getting to know everyone because obviously there’s a lot of turnover after 12 years.

TUI SOVA @v.2

A returning member shares with us some details about his past VHL experience:

I'm a returning member after like 14 years lol.  Joined the league during the start and went inactive around S12 I think.  This past season has been about trying to regain my bearings.  The league has come a very long way, lots of sweet changes and a ton of new members.  It's been a pretty smooth return I think, the portal is fairly straight forward and after a week or so I was used to the new way of updating my player.  I'm driven when it comes to TPE earning and like to stay up on current league events which I think helped me navigate through the new functions.  I was a GM in like seasons 2-4 so I’d be willing to dip my feet into management again.  I applied to GM team world at this years WJC but did not get the job (fair since I’ve only been back for about 2 months lol), and I'm definitely a graphics guy.  My first player was a goalie, Jesus Christ, who played for the Hamilton Canucks from seasons 1-5.  He isn't very decorated, having only won an Aiden Shaw Trophy.  My second player is Hall of Famer Josh Vestiquan, his career ran from S6-S13.  Drafted 1st overall by the Avangard Havoc, he jumped around the league to a few teams and managed to play in the playoffs every year and won the Continental Cup 3 times.  Despite his success, his only personal award was a Francis Trophy.  I think a nice mix of both Cups and Awards are important; however, some players just end up doomed on bad teams their whole careers, so if they are able to DOMINATE awards in nearly all their seasons, then a case definitely has to be made towards their individual success as a talent in the league.

DAVID TAVAU @Ahma

Here's a bio on David Tavau, as well as Ahma's 'why Davos' devotion:

As a kid, I was like every other kid and wanted to score goals. So, I was a winger at the beginning of my career, but while growing up, my junior coach realized that my talents are better spent on defense, so he put on defense and I was great at it and most of all, enjoyed it. My father used to be a defenseman too and he started giving me tips and tricks. And here we are.  I'm extra happy with my performance as an individual, but I can't be satisfied, because I couldn't help Saskatoon further in playoffs. All season, we had our eyes on the finals and the cup. A little disappointed, that's all.  I grew up in Davos, watching my favorite team play every chance I got. I dream of playing for Davos. My grandfather was a hardcore Dynamo fan, for 60 years he went to see every home game live. Before he passed away, I promised to make him proud one day. I'm sure he's watching over me with a smile. I'm on my way to becoming a Dynamo. I didn't feel ready to make the step to VHL before, but now with a lot of experience and tough battles behind me, I'm ready as I'll ever be
I joined VHL over 6 ago years now. As a first gen, I was at the height of my activity and one of the most active members at the time, but that was before my inactivity. I GM'd Davos (S47?) for one season and left the league. When I came back after a few seasons, I wasn't and haven't been as active as I was for my first seasons.  Simon Valmount, my first player, had an odd and short career. He managed to break a hits record, pretty cool, but the record was broken again. After my leave, every one one of my players have been a Jokinen, a playmaking defenseman and played for Davos.  I've been a loyal and proud member of Davos for a long time and grown to love it more over time. In fact, I've spent over 20 seasons in Davos. I'd say, my devotion for Davos has been a big factor for my loyalty. When people think of me, I want them to think of Davos and the meaning of loyalty. A few odd seasons ago, I promised myself that I'm going to win a championship for Davos. So, currently I'm driving towards that goal.

BASTIAN GREISS @ThatsGreissy

This interview produced his bio with some player thoughts about himself:

Bastian grew up watching hockey and from a young age he was absolutely star struck by Dominik Hasek and his outrageous playing style. Hasek had this incredible acrobatic-like play style and Bastian wanted to grow up and try to be the next “Dominator” from that point on, he was put into hockey as a goalie and hasn’t looked back.  I’m beyond satisfied with Bastian’s season with Mexico. He came into the league on a team that wasn’t really gaining traction and he turned them around to the point where they could actually pull off a win. Bastian may have entered late, but he made his way to the top of the leaderboard in half the time.
I want to emulate Dominik Hasek, I wanna do my own thing. I don’t want people to say “Wow, Bastian's playing just like___, I want people to look back at my career and say I was one of a kind, unmatchable.
Honestly I don’t know where I’ll get drafted; a lot of teams have reached out to me in the last two weeks expressing interest, I’m just glad so many teams want me on their roster. I’ve put in a lot of hard work and it’s been paying off so I’d really like to think I’ll go within the first 2 rounds. As for a fit, I can fit just about anywhere. I have a lot of passion and I think I could fit pretty much anywhere.  I’m a team-first guy. I’d rather us all have a ring on our finger over a trophy on my mantle any day. Individual awards are nothing more than a bonus. And of course, the hall of fame is definitely on my bucket list, and you’ll see me there one day, don’t you worry.

JANNIK NYLEN @DreMin15

Here's your chance to learn about Jannik's career so far, and his expectations:

I guess I started on defense because I wasn’t good with the puck when I was younger. I was good at being in the right place, though. Thankfully over the years the puck skills have gotten better, but I’m still a mostly defensive guy. We had a good season in Vegas, but I know I could have done better. Minus 7 isn’t exactly ideal. I just need to be better when the season starts back up again.  I didn't actually think of myself as playing like a star VHL player growing up, developing how I play. I think I can't really describe myself as like any player because I want to be my own player, unlike any other.  I've heard a lot of people saying I'll go in the second round of the draft, which I won't complain about. Obviously every guy thinks they should go first overall, but I'm thinking in the mid-twenties. I don't really know which team I'd be a good fit for, but I'd work to fit on any team that takes me.  I know that players like myself very rarely ever go into the hall or get awards. It's usually the guys with high point totals, and that's not something I think I'll ever be. So if I could be a part of a team that could win the Continental Cup, then I'd be more than happy with it.

ALEX JOHNSTON @Alex_J32

This up and coming first-generation player talks about his VHL experience:

Growing up playing hockey I was always a left shot forward who played on my off-wing. So, I choose to play on the wing to replicate myself growing up.  I am thrilled with my players production this past season, although it would have been great to see what I could have done if I played a full season I think 24 goals and 50 points in 52 games is pretty good for someone whose just starting out. With that being said I had the pleasure to have some incredibly talented line mates like Jaromir Lemiuex and Nathan Powers who both certainly helped me reach the totals I did.  I like to think I'm mostly learning from my peers as I go, as I haven't really dove into specific VHL builds yet. With that being said, @Juice and @fromtheinside have both been an incredible help especially early on in my time here and provided the perfect answer to every question that I asked whether it was about earning TPE, how the league works as a whole, to questions regarding the draft.  In all honesty I have no idea what position I'll get drafted in, when I first joined the league and for the entirety of the season I knew I likely wasn't going to get drafted in the first round and was thinking I'd likely get selected in the late-second-third round. Since then a lot has changed for me; I have improved greatly to be one of the top 16 ranked players in my draft class, and I have become a leader both on and off the ice during my time with the Yukon Rush. As a result of all of this my expectations are all over the board as I could maybe crack the first round, or end up in the late-second, I don't really know. I am also indifferent to where I get drafted as I believe the team that does draft me will believe in me enough to give me a decent chance when I reach the VHL. I do think I would be a good fit on some of the lower scoring teams like Davos, Riga, and Malmo as initially I should be able to provide a consistent source of depth scoring.  There is nothing I want more than to win a Continental Cup in my career, I have always been a big team first guy and will do what ever it takes to help my team succeed. Being in the VHL hall of fame is something kids only dream of, it would be incredible to make it there and I could certainly see it being a goal of mine near the tail end of my career.

SHANE LAZESKI @Shane Laz

A late-round gem to be had?  Here's what Shane had to share with us:  

I love being on the offensive side of the game and there is no better feeling than scoring or setting up a goal.  I'm happy with my performance overall, I feel as though I had good production for my first season in the VHLM but there is always room for improvement and I look forward to doing so.  I always want to be unique and that's the end goal.  However, I want to model my game similar to that of Andrew Su of Vancouver.  Playmaking has always been my style and he did it the best this past season and I'd love to have the same success.  When it comes to the draft, I think the 4th round is where I'll go based on previous draft rankings.  I don't really care at what point I get drafted, all I care about is getting the chance to be a part of one of these great teams.  I feel I can fit with any team and none of them stand out as one that would be the best option for me, they're all good options.  Continental Cups are always the goal, It's about winning it all. Hockey is a team sport and the team awards are more important. If any individual awards come than that's just an added bonus. I would say the HOF is a goal, again Continental Cups are more important but It would very cool to be in the Hall of Fame.

SVEN REIKKONEN @Devise

One of our resident simmers talks about Sven and his VHL goals:

Sven is the younger cousin of famed VHL Hall of Famer Tukka Reikkinen, and build wise is my last shot at attempting to do some sort of "Meta" player. I decided to play defense given I hadn't really given the position a full attempt since we've diversified the award category. As for individual performance this season, yeah I'm pretty satisfied. Wasn't as consistent as you hoped but there are a lot of players and the trade for Shaggy obviously meant sharing some of the points around.  I'm looking at somewhat emulating Condor Adrienne but I'm also looking to work into my own playstyle.  A shot-first PP specialist defender that also happens to be a SB/PK machine. The other big catch is that discipline is going to be a stat I focus on, as someone who is a special teams ice logger should be avoiding the box in my estimation.  It's a pretty deep draft and teams that may not need a defender could wind up picking somewhere down the draft sheet for positional need, especially as we exit that top 3.  I think I'm probably for sure a top 6 pick in the draft regardless though, as at some point someone who is looking for a D could snatch me up.  As for what team I think I'd be the best fit on, probably London?  They hit all the right barriers that would be required for getting me; an aging D core with no key prospect in sight, a pick right around the range I'm at on the draft sheet, they also have a good enough forward core for a few seasons to come that I'd be a good player to help transition them into a new era.  Just looking at the rosters of the most likely teams to try to land me, it seems like the best fit. 

If you were to ask me to choose between Cups or awards, it'd be individual awards.  I've been a role player and occasionally a pivotal piece on enough cup teams through my tenure that seeing Sven simply consistently be an offensive d award force would be welcome, even if it costs Cups. But you want to win it all don't you? Especially since, to answer the second question absolutely HoF is a goal for Sven.

@RedSus and myself will claim 2 weeks job pay for this piece