Dawson Searching for Home

Toast

ON THE MOVE AGAIN?

Phoenix Dawson finds himself in an interesting situation with Toronto -- could he be used as trade bait?

Nova Scotia's Drake Batherson breaking out with Ottawa Senators | SaltWire

TORONTO, ON — With the VHL season over all attention now turns to the VHL Entry Draft and all the other off-season transactions that fans look forward to. Unfortunately for one young Toronto player, there are whispers that he may be finding himself on his third team in just one season. 

With Toronto looking to head into the next few seasons a move may be required to make sure they are cap compliant and Phoenix Dawson finds himself on the outs with an expiring contract that Toronto may be able to shop to other teams in the league. This news comes just weeks after Seattle and Toronto swapped young players at the deadline which would play into their playoff series and Seattle eventually hoisting the Cup. 

“I’m just focusing on my own work,” said Dawson. “I don’t want to get caught up in something that may not even happen and I am dedicated to putting in the work to make sure that I am a better player when the season starts.”

The Toast Player Agency released a vague message stating that Dawson would be loyal to his team regardless of what team that may be. It’s not hard to see the hype in Toronto over the arrival of prospect Asher Reinhart who at a season younger is arguably already a better player than Dawson at their natural positions and with SS Hornet returning for another season with the Legion there may be a lack of space.

Following the trade deadline acquisition, Dawson found himself playing wing for Toronto like he was doing in Seattle. Phoenix picked up chemistry with fellow young players in Scotty Kaberle and Kristof Welch but it may not be enough reasoning to keep the young center around as Toronto tries to figure out what to do with the limited space on the team.

“Next season I intend to show everyone how much I have improved over the past few seasons,” said Dawson. “I know that my rookie season could have been better than it was but I am just going to use that as fuel and make sure that I come back better next time around.”

While off-season rumours are nothing more than that, it seems likely that Toronto is considering every possible option and Dawson going into his sophomore season certainly should attract some interest around the league. If not, look for Toronto to continue playing Dawson on the wing while second line C duties will either go to Lester Green or possible rookie of the year in Reinhart. This leaves Dawson on the outside trying to find an opportunity for himself but the young player seems to be committed to putting in every bit of work to try to get that opportunity.

With the off-season just getting started make sure to keep an eye on Toronto for any possible moves in the coming days where we may see Dawson yet again on the move. Otherwise, Toronto will hopefully benefit from having a prospect with a chip on his shoulder to show the league his value.