Druss Deathwalker Rookie Experience

animal74

Deathwalker: Nighthawker Blog #3

My Rookie Experience

3x1wnge.jpg

Hallo, Malmo fans everywhere! Many of you have been clamoring for another blog post before I leave for the World Juniors where I go to play for Team Europe for the second straight tournament. So, I will give you what you wish for. I’ll give you my thoughts on my rookie season in the VHL with the Malmo Nighthawks:

Following a fine season with the Mississauga Hounds in S76, I was chomping at the bit to play in the VHL for S77. Aside from my chagrin at not being drafted in the Top-10, I was thrilled at playing in Malmo. I didn’t really know many of the players but they were polite and welcoming and GM @hylands was energetic and passionate and I liked him right away.

I had two main goals for my rookie season: Hit as many opponents as possible (especially those on my Hit List) and make the playoffs. After missing out on the playoffs in the VHLM, I wanted to experience the thrill of playoff hockey. More on that later. 

I’ll admit, it took me a while to adjust to the pace of the VHL. I was frustrated at times at my lack of production but GM Hylands had faith in me and started putting me in more and more situations where I could grow and succeed and I’m very grateful to him for those opportunities. I only  managed 17 points during the season but I contributed on special teams and the shootout and the stretch run was some of the most fun I’ve had playing hockey as we just squeaked into the play-in round. One goal accomplished. The other? I ran amok on the ice crushing 317 hits for 7th in the league. I even had 10 hits in a game once or twice! I also crossed off 6 of 9 names on my Hit List. Meeting my goals I had set out made me very proud!

The playoffs were fun as well - even though we lost in three straight to Prague. I was able to score three goals in three games which led all rookies during the playoffs! Aye, I was pleased I could show my Nighthawk teammates that I could take my game to the next level.

All in all, it was a terrific season personally and I enjoyed myself thoroughly. Now, I have to prep for the World Juniors and then the off-season… just as soon as I’ve finished my goblet of Lentrian red wine!