Praha Golems (Prague New identity?)

A week or so back I seen a article about the naming of teams in the VHL & VHLM mainly around the Halifax 21st team name. I for one being from the Maritimes find the name of the Halifax a great name honoring the Immigration Pier that the 21st stands for. That being said I started to wonder which other team names could be changed to fit a more historic or meaningful name for which they belong.

It didn’t take me long to find a team that could have a more historic name as the team that I am currently playing for in the Prague Phantoms.

Trying to be respectful of the name that the team currently has I tried to find out any information about if Phantoms would actually be an historic fitting name for the team from Prague. Through my limited searching I couldn’t find any true reference to Phantoms having anything really to do with Prague directly. What I did find is the fact that Prague, while historical only has really three objects that is associated with the city (again my limited research); these being the Czech Lion, Charles Bridge and the Golem of Prague.

So I set about looking at which name would be better suited for Prague. With my limited feeble mind here are the names that I could think of:

Prague Bridges

Praha Bridges

Prague Charles Bridges (PCB)

Praha Lions

Prague Lions

Praha Golden Lions

Praha Fierce Lions

Prague Fighting Lions

Prague Golems

Praha Golems

The Golems of Prague

The Golems of Praha

After much consideration I decided that I am horrible at naming teams but also concluded that the Golems was clearly the way to head with the team name as it has strong connections with Prague after looking through the history of the Golem of Prague.

Here is a brief history of the Golem of Prague:

Spoiler

Basically some guy (Rabbi low) that was called the Maharal of Prague was looking for a way to protect people in the city of Prague during the 16th century from pogroms and unpredictable rulers of the Prague Castle. He took the four elements from Vltava River and created a Superhuman made of mud called a Golem. The golem had a tablet bearing the name of god either inserted in his chest, forehead or mouth depending on whom you believe, which controlled the Golem. Removing one of the marks means death if I remember correctly.

So the Golem while protector of the city also destroyed the city once when the guy (Robbi Low) forgot to place the Golem to sleep as he always did for Sabbath. He confronted the Golem and removed the shem and the Golem was never brought back to life.

Many 20th Century and novels have been created telling the story of the Golem of Prague.

So I decided that I was going to change the Prague Phantoms into the Prague Golems:

Battle over ownership rights sends Prague Golem into hiding | Radio Prague  International

(Decided to add the statue which the logo is based off)

754981700_GolemsofPrague2.jpg.1e212a466d7580b3baa98aaced5d96d9.jpg

I decided that I would keep the team current coloring and set about trying to find images of Golems that matched closely to that of the one from Prague so while yes there are some very amazing looking Golems that could have been used for the logo I went with the closest imagine I could find of the Prague Golem as he was described as where a metal belt around his waist and a metal bar holding closed his chest cavity. I decided that wording made the logo better (but it could still stand alone) but didn’t want the typical writing across the bottom or the top of the logo so I decided to try to have the Golem peeking out from behind the wording of Golems. I not being the greatest a graphics originally tried to add Charles Bridge into the Logo by having the towers of the Bridge being what the Golem was peeking out from behind with the words running up the towers but I failed to make it look respectable.

image.jpeg.3cab81d2f17ae4a7b79c293f6497e25c.jpeg

(Charles Bridge in Prague. Tower at the far end was what I tried to have the Golem peek around)

Since I left the team coloring alone I was also able to quickly complete a logo swap on one of my horrible cuts to also give an idea that not a lot changes other then the name from Phantoms to Golems.

1018483482_GolemsCut.jpg.2157946ea7de1316753cc19c743a3064.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope that you found this interesting, as I know I did when researching and then deciding to change the team identity.

I am a huge fan of the current team name but if we had to change the name I hope that the Golems would be consider as an option for the teams new identity.

(734 words)     

Edited by Gaikoku-hito
Adding another image