Off-Season Touchpoint

Deee.Geee

Although the celebrations are slowly coming to an end, the memories should be eternal. The Miami Marauder’s storybook finale to season 77 of the VHLM and their seizure of the championship has propelled them to enormous heights this year. Their rookie defenseman, Damien Salducci, made some time for an interview ahead of a busy schedule including preparation for the VHL draft, a new exercise regime through the off-season, and a trip home before the kick-off of Season 78.

Damien firstly we’d like to offer a huge congrats for the season; not every rookie gets a chance to drink from the cup in their first tilt in the VHLM. Take us through how you’re feeling.

It’s felt a dream, you know? When I am home after the celebrations and parties in the last few days and I just stop to think about it, I actually wonder if this even happened. We’re all super happy. Our bodies also appreciate the downtime! The guys warned me how playoffs were fierce and that you get knocked around a lot but the reality was much worse than what I expected. Still, no complaints!

Is there anything special you’re doing in preparation for the VHL Draft? Conversations with any teams?
There have been conversations, sure, but a lot of my Marauder teammates told me to simplify my life and focus on my off-season routines. The rest is really out of my hands. The Marauder coaching and training staff and I have put together a great workout and new diet plan so that I can grow my game through different exercises in the off-season.

We wanted to ask you what changes in this off-season preparation versus last years?

Last year I focused on speed and agility, I wanted the increase the speed of my first steps because I knew that what I lacked in size I could make up for in acceleration.

I am happy with the lower body gains – I had focused on legs and core last year, this year it’s more about gaining extra muscle and developing my upper body a bit more, hopefully not at the cost of speed.

For those who might be wondering, why add muscle to the top of your frame? How is your diet changing?

Yea it’s about making me a more competitive defenseman in battles along the boards or on the open ice. I got beat a bunch last year because my strength doesn’t match the older guys, and I need it if I want to compete in the VHL eventually. I mean it’s also a big benefit to keeping up in the VHLM too.

As for the diet, I am modifying the vegetable ratio to add more carbs – so more rice and pasta are on the menu! I am also trying to get bulkier proteins like pork and beef versus fish which I tend to eat a lot of.

When you’re not working out or celebrating the cup, what are you expecting to do in order to make the most this off-season?

I have no other commitments, and I realized a few days ago that there’s a small window of time to fly back home to Italy to spend a week or so with my family, see my friends, etc. I haven’t been back in months so I am overdue.

We wish you lots of luck at the VHL draft and beyond, congrats again Damien.

Thanks guys, have a great week.

Words: 575