That's All for Odin Omdahl

zepheter

https://vhlportal.com/players/playerfocus/2296

Whelp, it’s official. Odin has retired, and it’s time to take the much needed break that I’ve been looking forward to for quite some time. About eighty-one weeks ago I set out on a journey to show what I can do in the VHL with what was pretty much my first real player. 

VHLM S69

I'm gonna start all the way back in Mexico City. For whatever reason, I didn’t sign with anybody after I created. So, I must’ve been too late because I only have one season in the M. It was a great season, though. S69 was about as weird as it gets. SSK won sixty-eight games somehow, they were just ridiculous, and I found my way under the wonderful GM Motzaburger. I can’t thank you enough motz. You really helped me understand graphics and how to improve upon my progress each and every time. You always had the answer when I’d ask questions about what I could do to maximize my earning each week. Early on it allowed me to catch up to the big guys in the draft class, which is saying a lot for myself considering who went first and second overall that season. We couldn’t quite finish the season the way we wanted, but we sure as hell made it tough every time we played SSK and MIS. I’m grateful that you used your seventh overall pick to draft little old me. I wouldn’t have had such a strong foundation to my career had I potentially been drafted elsewhere. Thanks for the great memories of what was a short but sweet time in Odin’s career. And don't think I forgot you Dyl. @dylanjj37

S70 Draft Class

The S70 draft class, a bit weak overall but the top eight were able to carve out fairly lengthy careers. Including the likes of Lahtinen, Hextall, Lafontaine, and Encarnacion. I enjoyed competing against you all to make the best player that I could, and although I did go inactive for a while, I was able to come back and finish what I had started the right way. For that, I thank all of you, and wish you luck on your next players. I will be taking some time off to find my passion for the VHL again. 

Getting Drafted

Somehow this young kid with no history of building successful players, and a history of just one player that, well, wasn’t good at all, found his way onto a stacked Bears squad under the legendary GM Banackock who had already led them to two cups prior to Odin even showing up. Going into it, there were rumors that I’d end up with Calgary, or maybe even drop down to fifth and find myself in Davos. For my sake, I’m glad I went where I went. Landing in Seattle at third overall is all I could ever ask for, and I’m grateful that Bana would take a risk on someone like me when there were other VHL veterans on the board. 

VHL S70

In my first season, I didn’t expect much at all. Hell, I didn’t actually know what to expect going into a place that I’d never been up to that point. It was a learning process that I was just starting to get the feeling for. I knew it would take some time to adapt after finishing the season with 22 points and a -5 rating. Bana always does his best to put his players in a position to succeed. Whether that’s in the lines, or giving advice on player builds. The way he builds his teams is admirable. Filled with veterans and with a splash of new guys like me. I couldn’t help it but learn a thing or two in my first season. Even making the playoffs gave me knowledge I would use to improve my player over the course of Odin’s entire career. 

S71

Steady progression was the name of the game for Odin. The production offensively wasn’t quite where I wanted it to be, but we knew I had a lot of time left and I was still earning like crazy. In the defensive end, he excelled. Finishing the season with a +19 rating and just 20 PIMs. It was a clear sign of what was to come over the next five seasons. Not quite able to reach the forty point mark, Odin concluded the season with 10 goals and 38 points. Man, we were in for a surprise. En route to a third cup for the Bears in just four seasons, and my first ever Continental Cup, Odin took the playoffs and made them his playground. With 16 points in 17 games, clearly something went right with the final touches to the postseason build. I must admit, this was probably the last thing I expected to happen. The team was generally weaker, but Bana had proven again that he doesn’t need the best guys, he just needs the right guys. A running theme throughout Odin’s career as well. Third Kanou to Rayz Funk by the way.

S72

Remember what I said about steady progression? That happened. Odin had finally found his scoring touch, notching 16 goals and 67 points with a +14 rating with just 12 PIMs. That missing piece to Odin’s game was discipline. Would’ve never expected a little bit of discipline to make the points go up the way they did. He thrived on not being in the box, and the team did as well. Unfortunately, that was all she wrote after an important season of development. The Bears and Odin couldn’t quite get to that next level and were bounced in just five games that postseason. 

S73

Now let’s talk about the best team I’ve been apart of, and the “potential end” of what was arguably(but not really because go Bears) the greatest dynasty the VHL has seen. Scott Greene, Ambrose Stark, Hulk Hogan, Berocka Sundqvist, and of course I could never forget the great Rayz Funk, who was already a three-time Daisuke Kanou winner. With the emergence of Vikingstud, as well as rookie Timmy Brown and sophomore Randy Marsh, we were firing on all cylinders. Six players with 87 or more points. As well as five with at least 30 goals. Rayz capped off a dominant season with 41 wins going into the playoffs as the top team in the league. None of our opponents wanted to go down without a fight, but there was no slowing us down. Finishing the Helstinki Titans to bring home what would be the fourth cup in just six seasons. Yep, that’s got dynasty written all over it. Fun facts: Odin actually finished the season with more game-winning goals than penalty minutes (5 GWs and 4 PIMs) and 0 PIMs in the playoffs. Fourth Kanou for Funk by the way. I’d say he was a pretty good goaler.

Steve: You motivated us to a level that not even the banter with Calgary could bring us to. I’m still shocked that you retired when you did. It was a low blow. I don’t like to involve myself in trash talk, so I’ll leave you with this. I seriously hope you enjoyed the M while your day ones went and made history. Looking back to what I said earlier: you don’t need the best players, just the right ones. 

S74

Another year of stardom for Odin. Back-to-back seasons with 24+ goals and no less than 87 points. But it was evident that there was something missing. With the departures of Scott Greene, Ambrose Stark and Rayz Funk, the Bears had a lot of work to do to get back to where they were. Although that is to be expected when you lose three elite talents in an attempt to retool your team for the near future. Another strong regular season for the Bears, but the Wolves were on a mission. Winning the cup while we were eliminated in the first round, saying goodbye to the remnants of the S67 group in Hogan and Berocka. 

S75

S74 saw a strong performance, but an underlying issue was put on full display the following season. I went inactive, and not only did the individual stats pay for it, I feel like I really let down the team, and most importantly Bana, who brought me into the league with his lottery pick. Depreciation had hit, but I wasn’t even around to fight it. Just letting it eat away at my TPA that just could not be replaced because I simply had not been earning. We made the playoffs, but just barely. A lackluster season saw Odin finish with just 56 points compared to 88 previously, and a mere +1 rating. The second worst rating of his career. Anything can happen if the Bears get into the playoffs, but that was not the case this season, as we were swept in the wild card round. 

S76

At this point, Odin was a tremendously depreciated asset, and could only hope for a better season because a trade seemed like it was out of the cards. My build could not be fixed unless I took drastic measures, but I was pretty much nowhere to be found with regards to earning and player management. Another season of mediocrity, as Odin totalled just 54 points, but 18 goals and a +16 rating was nice, I guess. After an off-season where we lost Kris Rice and a long-time Bear in Uhtred, but added Jim Bob, Vin Calia, Leo Strauss and the goaltender of our future Rara Rasputin. We once again entered the playoffs as the fourth seed. Even finding a way to win the first series because of the tremendous play of our newly acquired goaler, but didn’t have enough in the tank to go on a run as we were finished by the eventual champions Chicago Phoenix in a very, very close series. Near the end of the season I would find myself in the locker room more often than the past couple seasons. I was starting to get back into the swing of things, and I knew I needed a change.

S77

actually fought depreciation this time, but realistically, even after the TPA re-roll there wasn’t much I could do to get back to the level I was at during S73 and S74. I was actually earning for once and I was able to improve defensively, even though I feel I was already pretty good. A 1-1 sim was a regularity the past couple seasons, and Bana had enough. On a team that hadn’t changed much in composition saw improvements with Campbell, Hex and most significantly Jim Bob all having breakout seasons. There was something missing, and clearly there was a lot missing. Starting with a blockbuster trade of Randy Marsh in exchange for former Bears legend MJF from Malmo, followed by HJK for General Zod, and capped off with the return of the Bears legend himself Rayzor that saw Phoenix Dawson leave for Toronto. The stars aligned for the Bears. MJF and Zod were both point per game as defensemen, and Funk Jr. seemed to take small steps to improve his game in what is still a young career. With all but three players finishing above point per game in the postseason, the Bears quite literally dominated the competition by going on a ten game winning streak to respond to losing the first two to Toronto. I can’t say enough about what we had going on in that locker room. Bana is a literal wizard with the lines, and man, the trades were so awesome. The nostalgia of bringing back guys who had already been to the top of the mountain with the Bears. It doesn’t get any better than that. I’m so lucky to have been apart of the best dynasty in VHL history.

According to the human form of a fun fact, Victor himself, Odin is responsible for ¾ cups from the S70 draft class. Without the Bears I never would have accomplished any of this. Keep it rolling while I’m gone, you guys are still a waggon of a team right now. 

To my teammates over the past couple years: I truly enjoyed the Bears locker room. It became a place where I could ask anything and it would be answered at almost all hours, including the middle of the ferking night. I do not see a future anywhere other than with the Bears, if I can help it. It saddens me that I’m going to miss at least a couple seasons with you guys, but I will do whatever I can to get back there as soon as I can. 

@Banackock: You put the Bears’ future on the line for a wild card at third overall, and for a good portion of my career it paid off. It didn’t just feel good to be a Bear, it felt right. The winning culture is something I’d rather experience ten times over before a HoF career. I truly can’t say enough about how much I enjoyed my stay. There’s no denying that Bana is that man. He put together something most people couldn’t do in EA NHL franchise mode. 

To all the peeps in the discord general chat: Daily reminder go Bears. 

Odin will likely never even get consideration for the hall, but that’s fine. I've been an underdog since the start and I couldn't ask for a better way to go out. The lessons I learned will hopefully help me build players consistent with other VHL elite. I’ve got a lot more to prove and a time will come for that, but now I must take some time to figure out how I want to approach my next chapter in the VHL. 

Edited by zepheter
2,294 words, probably the last time I do a media spot lol

People see Seattle as a lot of things and sometimes, sure, we like to have a little bit of fun, create rivalries and you know, not everyone is going to like me, us or the team. I want those who come to Seattle to be loyal and just open minded when they enter the locker room because most of the time, it ends somewhat like this and people enjoy their stays. What is and what is heard are often different. But to each their own! I want the locker room to be a place that is safe for anyone and everyone, where people can joke, laugh, be happy and have fun, and just be kind to one another while also being able to discuss whatever as long as it's not too wild and breaking rules. For a long time and as long as I can remember on here (it gets harder to remember far, far back as the seasons go on), Seattle always has/had a family vibe to it and I love that. Especially since the 67 guys have rolled in, we've done an excellent job in bringing people in and truly making them part of the family and continuing it - and I really hope they feel that way too, because they are! They're DA BEARZ. We're here for each other for whatever the hell it is. We're kind to each other no matter where we come from, who we are or whatever. A lot of you guys are an online family to me who I speak to in the LR or behind the scenes about so many different, personal things. Even after they're long off the team! We know a lot. Discuss whatever. Keep it real and usually relaxed. That's a good, caring family. That's what makes this role so special. That's what motivates me to try my best to be my best at the role to make you, us and the Bears succeed so we can reach new heights of all things together. You guys, too, are what make me as special and good as you think I am. 

I've had a few hard good-byes throughout my tenure as Seattle Bears GM. I've made a lot of difficult trades and even some retirements that aren't enjoyable to say the least. The most difficult off the top of my head were when I had to trade @FrostBeard and then traded @DoktorFunk. It sucked. I find it a little weird but am not ashamed to admit that I had moments of sadness and even choked up a little bit with teary eyes reminiscing of the talks, the explosive emotion when winning our cups and just the time we spent together being such a great team and how I was going to miss daily interactions with such amazing people. Not even players or members. Just amazing, great people. It was the hardest things Iv'e done moving those two guys. It fucking sucked but business is business if you're looking out for all and not one. They were excellent about it too. Then we lost @Berocka, @Rayzor_7, @TXC and so on in the locker room and that was difficult too. Keeping them on the council definitely helped, but surely it was still a different atmosphere to get used to. Similar to @oilmandan being casted away to Malmo this season. The list could go on and on. However, because of the family we've built over the many of season, we kept everything in tact, remained strong, close and loyal - we worked together and look, we're back on top together. All of us. It may be a new group, but that win here in S77 felt just as good despite it not being our first. It exploded. It was awesome.

Thank you for coming into Seattle with open arms and an open mind. Thank you for your loyalty over your career, your honesty and always putting the team, your teammates and even sometimes me first. I appreciate every effort you've placed into your player in attempts to improve for yourself and the team. You've been an excellent teammate from day one who has only cared about helping the team and making his teammates better. I'm glad we found a way to revive your career and keep you on the Bears for a final season because boy, did we ever send you off with a great retirement gift and you left us with one too. Another reason is because it wasn't really hitting me then and it didn't even in the playoffs or during the win. There was too much hype and we were seriously focused on fighting our way through the playoffs. It's always a damn team effort! You're still in the locker room and we're all planning the next season and as I find myself writing this, I feel the same form of emotion when I said good-bye to the other members from the LR and team. You were a huge part of the locker room and team. Anytime you were around, it was just good. You were one of the best Bears. We are going to miss you a lot in the locker room. Hopefully our paths do cross again because you're always welcome back. Once a Bear, Always a Bear. 

Don't be afraid to fire us a message in the Bears general (even with you still in the LR now, but in the future). Don't be afraid to send me a message on Discord to shoot the shit just to see how the Bears or life is going. Hell, I still bug a majority of the Bears to see how life is kicking from time to time. :cheers:

Review:

From the beginning when we were rivals in the M in S69 (Sasky Bois!), I knew you were a solid player. As I've said before, I've followed and admired your career from afar. My first player was a career Bear so maybe that has something to do with it. Omdahl, you had a great career, you were a huge piece of the Bears dynasty and you deserve every Cup. You hold the VHL record for most playoff shots blocked with 199 and are in the Top-20 among dmen in many playoff categories. You are 16th all-time in regular season blocked shots with 1150. Overall, a wonderful, heartfelt farewell piece to cap off a wonderful, underrated, but significant career. Congratulations, well done, and thanks for making the VHL a better place! Until next time, @zepheter!

11/10

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...