Add a Politics Channel to VHL Discord

1 minute ago, GrittyIsKing09 said:

and this here is EXACTLY why this isnt the greatest idea. such radical ideas as this one are sure to get people turning on each other

In a more serious context with an *actual* controversial or intentionally provocative comment, it'd actually kinda show who wouldn't be part of that channel haha

Edited by Spartan

3 minutes ago, Spartan said:

In a more serious context with an *actual* controversial or intentionally provocative comment, it'd actually kinda show who wouldn't be part of that channel haha

ik im being sarcastic

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

I don't know if this is sarcastic or not 😅. But we've both seen that type of activity actually occur in the server, just takes the right people to start it, and a topic people want to discuss. Obviously we can keep discussing the merits of this overall proposal here, but it's already been shut down by the higher powers so i'm not going to press on with trying to make it happen much.

Classic misinterpreted online communication! No I was serious haha, I tried to picture it and couldn’t see that happening on the forum. It’s great when F1F posts something bite sized like a tweet and people discuss it on discord. I was imaging this whole time like a true discussion like the ones Gus starts regularly because those are for the forum. 

I dunno, like I said I don’t care. I hate the current state of politics. I loath following the horse race bullshit of daily polls. I despise the cult of personality surrounding the performative politicians who care about rainbow flavoured unicorns more than governance. 

What I don’t hate is the beautiful little community we have here. We lost a lot of good friends during the civic unrest and ensuing culture wars last summer. I don’t ever want that to happen again. 

1 minute ago, bigAL said:

I dunno, like I said I don’t care. I hate the current state of politics. I loath following the horse race bullshit of daily polls. I despise the cult of personality surrounding the performative politicians who care about rainbow flavoured unicorns more than governance. 

What I don’t hate is the beautiful little community we have here. We lost a lot of good friends during the civic unrest and ensuing culture wars last summer. I don’t ever want that to happen again.

Agreed to the point of hating politics. As I mentioned as well, I don't follow it very closely, but I do find certain tidbits and current events interesting and thought provoking to learn from and grow from. There's great discussions to occur, and I don't particularly care for any political party - rather just discussing about potential fallouts in a rather unbiased perspective. I identify as an independent centrist with certain views that can skew to either "side," so I really don't care much for propaganda from either side. 

And agreed, I enjoy the community we have here and regret that we lost folks last summer. It's certainly a good point as to why these conversations can be difficult to have, but they can be important to have as well. Just needs to be handled maturely and in a civil manner, which is a huge ask and I understand it. After all, participating in those discussions on Discord would be both voluntary and would require permission, so it'd be interesting to see how it could theoretically go. Memeing about certain countries and their politics hasn't stopped, as well as troll comments, and I think those were also large factors in seeing people leave our league.

• Head Moderator
On 5/13/2021 at 4:16 PM, bigAL said:

I love political discourse, follow current events very closely, am very well educated, and can handle and manage conflict that I’m involved or not in. I know I won’t be joining that channel. You all are my friends and I don’t need to know which of you have *insert adjective here* views on the world. I don’t really want to know who here isn’t sold on the whole “climate change” thing. I’m not interested in hearing who thought that the Palestinians had it coming to them. I don’t want to hear from the “Pinochet did nothing wrong” crowd. I’m all for civil disagreement but that doesn’t exist anymore in our extremist world. 

Politics (and not the red vs blue tribalism bullshit that this channel would focus on) is a worldview, a life philosophy, and tied very closely to ones identity. Political discourse becomes extremely dicey when we’re all anonymous profile pics behind a computer. We don’t know people or their story, we are all operating on a different set of fundamental truths based on where we live and how we grew up. We are literally worlds apart from each other, and political discourse like that boils down to judging each other based on different standards that aren’t shared with each other. It’s important to learn about the world by experiencing the world, but...

Politics is inherently (and in 2021 more than ever in human history) about us vs them, We are right and They are wrong, and because They are wrong, They are stupid and bad people. The fractured world we live in is caused because people can’t have civil political discourse anymore, because there’s no “centre”, because extremism is the only ism, because the world can only be understood in black and white. That’s a recipe for fucking disaster everywhere. 

I don’t want us to fracture off into teams. I don’t want anyone to feel alienated for their beliefs. I don’t want anyone screaming at a 16 year old kid without knowing the person they’re talking to is a 16 year old kid. I don’t want anyone to be told they’re a bad person with bad views on the world. There’s a time and a place for that, and I don’t think it’s here in our tight knit community where we’re actively working to reduce conflict and discourage the baiting and trolling common elsewhere on the internet. 

Just be kind to each other, and the last decade has shown that tribalistic politics of the day brings out the worst in humans. I never got the “don’t talk religion, money, or politics” thing as a kid but now I get it. Just don’t open that can of worms here. It’s not the right place for it. 

This is actually a really important part of the current structure of no politics. We just don't want to have people be as divided here because we know philosophical debates will lead to this.

I mean I follow politics and current events quite a bit, but you're right, i really don' t need to know who has "X idea here" that I really dislike.

• Head Moderator
On 5/14/2021 at 11:08 AM, Fire Vigneault said:

Be very careful with this. It's important to keep an open mind that your current thoughts, feelings, and ideas are not always 100% correct. I have a different beliefs than I did at 14, than I did at 21, etc...

And 30. My ideal has rapidly changed in the last 5 years actually going from bystander to somewhat of an activist of sorts.

• Head Moderator
22 hours ago, Spartan said:

Agreed to the point of hating politics. As I mentioned as well, I don't follow it very closely, but I do find certain tidbits and current events interesting and thought provoking to learn from and grow from. There's great discussions to occur, and I don't particularly care for any political party - rather just discussing about potential fallouts in a rather unbiased perspective. I identify as an independent centrist with certain views that can skew to either "side," so I really don't care much for propaganda from either side. 

And agreed, I enjoy the community we have here and regret that we lost folks last summer. It's certainly a good point as to why these conversations can be difficult to have, but they can be important to have as well. Just needs to be handled maturely and in a civil manner, which is a huge ask and I understand it. After all, participating in those discussions on Discord would be both voluntary and would require permission, so it'd be interesting to see how it could theoretically go. Memeing about certain countries and their politics hasn't stopped, as well as troll comments, and I think those were also large factors in seeing people leave our league.

Politics in general is fairly divisive, I can tell you right now that when I meet someone with an opinion I think that actively contributes to harm (whether they perceived or real) to society, I will call them out on it. Like I told my mother in law's relative to leave Canada because she was complaining about an influx of refugees.

Sometimes politics are merely opinions, at other times though, they are ideologies I don't accept anymore.

On 5/16/2021 at 3:12 AM, tfong said:

Politics in general is fairly divisive, I can tell you right now that when I meet someone with an opinion I think that actively contributes to harm (whether they perceived or real) to society, I will call them out on it. Like I told my mother in law's relative to leave Canada because she was complaining about an influx of refugees.

Sometimes politics are merely opinions, at other times though, they are ideologies I don't accept anymore.

Actually Calling your mother in Law out for the influx of refugees actually is more harmful then her complaining; not to mention inconsiderate to her feeling and to her concerns about any issue that is face her being real or perceived.

Instead of calling her out on her concerns have an open debate with her and really listen to what she has to say rather then being judgemental; otherwise you are creating an hateful situation where she feels like everyone is against her and may actually back lash more.

Education and understanding is a beautiful thing but also the source of said education and information can also jade ones perception.

Politics as a whole though should never be talked about as too many people have differing opinions and the discussions always lead to disagreements and arguments. Since there is always multiple sides to every situation and a lot of misinformation, personal feeling and opinions. Never a good mix.  

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Actually Calling your mother in Law out for the influx of refugees actually is more harmful then her complaining; not to mention inconsiderate to her feeling and to her concerns about any issue that is face her being real or perceived.

Instead of calling her out on her concerns have an open debate with her and really listen to what she has to say rather then being judgemental; otherwise you are creating an hateful situation where she feels like everyone is against her and may actually back lash more.

Education and understanding is a beautiful thing but also the source of said education and information can also jade ones perception.

Politics as a whole though should never be talked about as too many people have differing opinions and the discussions always lead to disagreements and arguments. Since there is always multiple sides to every situation and a lot of misinformation, personal feeling and opinions. Never a good mix.  

Wasn't my mother in law. It was her friend and I really simplified what I said and she said as I was just using it as an example. Don't worry I was correct on the issue I can assure you as it was something really ignorant that she had said and her concerns are entirely unjustified. I actually work in said field so I am well aware of what goes on.

I also feel you didn't even read what I said since I wasn't calling her out on the influx of refugees. She was the one complaining about them.

Edited by tfong

1 hour ago, tfong said:

I also feel you didn't even read what I said since I wasn't calling her out on the influx of refugees. She was the one complaining about them.

Yup, Your right!!

I didn't even read what you said since you called her out for the harmful comments regarding the influx of refugees and you are correct on the issue since you work in the field. Thus all other opinions are null and void.

Keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night and a Great reason why we should never have Politics on this website.    

• Head Moderator
6 minutes ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Yup, Your right!!

I didn't even read what you said since you called her out for the harmful comments regarding the influx of refugees and you are correct on the issue since you work in the field. Thus all other opinions are null and void.

Keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night and a Great reason why we should never have Politics on this website.    

Your lack of reading comprehension is astounding and it is a marvel that your condescending attitude has gotten you this far without incident.