Sova Rookie Experience

v.2

Tui Sova's Rookie Experience

LZSu2eP.png

After being selected 7th overall by the Malmo Nighthawks in the Season 78 VHL entry draft, rookie Tui Sova prepares himself for the start of the season.  He is expected to slot into top 4 defence minutes, a spot that was not expected heading into the draft.  Sova was fine to remain in the minors for an extra season, but starting the year with the big club lets him gain some bearings quickly at a higher pace of play.  As of now, his primary focus is on conditioning and strength training to physically prepare for the start of the regular season, and be game ready right away.

“I’m a very determined guy, and I like to make the most of opportunities that are given to me.  The last thing I’d want to do is disappoint management or myself by not coming correct, so I’m going to make sure that I start my season off strong.  I’m in Malmo now, my first time in Sweden actually, I love it here so far.  As much as I’d love to do some sight seeing and get to know the city, right now my focus is purely on diet, training in the gym, and practice at the rink.”

Sova is unsure who he’ll be partnered up with to start his rookie campaign, but management and coaches are exploring all options.  Sova is known for his very strong shot blocking ability, and knows how to rack up points.  Expectations for him this season are to continue excelling where he did in Mexico City, but most importantly his coaches want him to just feel comfortable on the ice and with the new pace of play.

“I’m getting to know all the guys.  Coaches are trying me on different line pairings, but it’s tough to establish any real chemistry until the season begins.  I like to consider myself a fairly versatile player though and compliment my teammates.  On ice communication is huge and I can tell that my teammates share many of the same philosophies of the game.

The ceiling is high for Tui Sova in Malmo.  His drive to improve and love of the game are likely going to push him towards success.  The main goal is to eventually be the teams top defenceman and a strong leader in the room.

“Im taking my career one step at a time, landing in Malmo at 7th overall was huge for me, and has boosted me to train even harder.  I surprise myself more and more each day, just pushing my body into peak physicality.  I cannot wait to get it going this season!”

KOuGqKG.jpg