Eagles now a veteran

Greg_Di

Chetwynd's Deryk Engelland nominated for NHL leadership award - Dawson  Creek Mirror

Heading into his 3rd professional season, Tom is now expected to be a veteran presence in the Calgary locker room. While he still feels young, he knows he must step up and be a leader. With the young Calgary team looking to take the next step and be a contender, the team will need a leader.

While Thornton is the Wranglers Captain on the ice, the locker room has always been a team collective. Tom is usually the silent one who just shows his game on the ice, but he knows if he wants the team to succeed he will need to speak up and he will need to take on more of a leadership role as he gets older.

" Heading into a 3rd season, you can't be the quiet rookie anymore. You have to be loud and you have to make your ideas be heard" Tom said " I think that is the biggest change I have got to go through to be successful in this league and stepping into that veteran role. Just be more vocal. This goes for both on and off the ice"

Eagles will have a lot on his plate this season. He intends to double his stats from last season, intends to win a defensive award this season and also step up as a leader for the team. Many are wondering if this is too much for the up and coming all-star and could it effect his play on the ice?

We spoke to one of his coaches to see their take on this

" We don't think it will effect his on ice game, Tom is a true leader and is always giving his feedback to his coaching staff and his captain " Said a defensive coach " We expect great things from Tom as he continues to grow with the organization and finds comfort being a voice in the locker room"

Tom is also always seen on the ice helping out the rookies. Even when practice is over, he will stay longer to give any tips to anyone that wants them

" This is a team game, individual stats are great but if you want to win a cup in this league you have to buy into the team game" Said Tom " This is what i have been doing from the start, trying to do my best to help out the team whether that is producing on the ice or staying back after practice to teach some of the new guys how we play and communicate. It's a role that I like and I intend to continue until someone tells me I shouldn't be doing this"