Stockholm Vikings logo

dlamb

OR4iDc7.png8AzeUKh.png

I've been kind of obsessed with potential franchises for the new VHLE, and one frontrunner for a team is Stockholm, with their S41-S57 Vikings being rumored as a lock to make their return. Everyone is raving about their logo, however I think there is a few problems with the main one, as seen below:

1. It's a modernized Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL) logo

1200px-Baie-Comeau_Drakkar.svg.png

Obviously, it is just a logo with the same theme, I get that. But even down to the colour scheme, I can't get it out of my head that it is the same thing, but modern. I suggest changing the main colour to BLUE, instead of red, as an homage to the flag of Stockholm (seen below), which gives it local flair, and sets it completely apart from any other hockey logo I can think of.

1200px-Flag_of_Stockholm.svg.png

2. Text

cut.jpg

If you look at every NHL logo, hell, every major sports logo, the majority, if not all logos, do not use text that isn't incorporated into the logo itself. The VHL has seemed to be removing these kinds of logos slowly but surely, which is awesome, so why not continue the trend with Stockholm? I think text is done here better than some logos we have, I just like the ones that speak for themselves without text. 

TLDR: Blue-ify Stockholm pls

7XsDAHi.png

(now that I'm looking its kinda shit without text, definitely needs text or something to fill the space at the bottom)

Please voice your opinions, I want to see what people think. Also, the alt logo is pretty sick, but it's meh as a main crest.

• Commissioner
16 minutes ago, dlamb said:

as an homage to the flag of Stockholm (seen below)

On this case it’s the same as the national colours anyway so whatever but I do also find it odd when the argument is made to use colours from a city flag. How often do people really see the flags of their city? Like when Halifax came in it was suggested the colours be based off the Halifax flags despite them being horrid and the fact that I’ve lived here 6 years and have see that flag in exactly 1 place.

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

On this case it’s the same as the national colours anyway so whatever but I do also find it odd when the argument is made to use colours from a city flag. How often do people really see the flags of their city? Like when Halifax came in it was suggested the colours be based off the Halifax flags despite them being horrid and the fact that I’ve lived here 6 years and have see that flag in exactly 1 place.

Haha, yeah I guess that makes sense too 🇸🇪 I was just thinking of an alternate colour and while looking at Stockholm's wikipedia page I saw the flag/crest. The whole point of the colour change in my mind was just to differentiate it from the Q logo.

Also Vikings is a boring-ass name for a Scandinavian team, come on. It's the first thing you think of when a Scandinavian team comes to mind.

How about something similar so we can keep the logo? Like maybe Berserkers

1 hour ago, dlamb said:

OR4iDc7.png8AzeUKh.png

I've been kind of obsessed with potential franchises for the new VHLE, and one frontrunner for a team is Stockholm, with their S41-S57 Vikings being rumored as a lock to make their return. Everyone is raving about their logo, however I think there is a few problems with the main one, as seen below:

1. It's a modernized Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL) logo

1200px-Baie-Comeau_Drakkar.svg.png

Obviously, it is just a logo with the same theme, I get that. But even down to the colour scheme, I can't get it out of my head that it is the same thing, but modern. I suggest changing the main colour to BLUE, instead of red, as an homage to the flag of Stockholm (seen below), which gives it local flair, and sets it completely apart from any other hockey logo I can think of.

1200px-Flag_of_Stockholm.svg.png

2. Text

cut.jpg

If you look at every NHL logo, hell, every major sports logo, the majority, if not all logos, do not use text that isn't incorporated into the logo itself. The VHL has seemed to be removing these kinds of logos slowly but surely, which is awesome, so why not continue the trend with Stockholm? I think text is done here better than some logos we have, I just like the ones that speak for themselves without text. 

TLDR: Blue-ify Stockholm pls

7XsDAHi.png

(now that I'm looking its kinda shit without text, definitely needs text or something to fill the space at the bottom)

Please voice your opinions, I want to see what people think. Also, the alt logo is pretty sick, but it's meh as a main crest.

The problem I see with the Blue is the fact that this is again a image that has already been used by hockey teams like Western Washington University and Jamestown Vikings:

Jamestown Vikings Secondary Logo (2008) -Western Washington Vikings

But I do agree that it looks like the Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL) logo and actually thought it was a direct copy.

What I haven't seen used is the Viking Long boat being placed into a shield logo or having a viking "V" placed behind the logo to add some more difference. Even adding Rune text. 

Here is something I made very quickly as an example: I also used the combination of the two logos that you added here to create the logo with the Life Compass runes being used around the outside and a copy of your blue long ship placed in the middle.

306539181_VikingLogo.jpg.0c2328ae4a337a83503ceebb9d1b98da.jpg

30 minutes ago, Ledge and Dairy said:

Also Vikings is a boring-ass name for a Scandinavian team, come on. It's the first thing you think of when a Scandinavian team comes to mind.

How about something similar so we can keep the logo? Like maybe Berserkers

Kinda dig the ring of the Stockholm Berserkers, maybe do an angry viking logo instead of the boat for the change 🤔

May I also add that Blue and gold is Swedish colors while Blue & White are Finnish colors. Had me thinking that Stockholm was actually a Finnish city before I gave my head a good smack.

hot damn the alternate logo is 🔥

and dont like 5/6 NHL teams have words in their name (oilers, islanders)

Edited by GrittyIsKing09

• 2 weeks later...