crippled old man

Xflexz

Being a ‘veteran’

During my rookie season I was the backup goalie. No one really looked at me as important to the team's success. Everyone else on the team, especially the starting goalie seemed infinitely better than I could ever be and didn't ever think I could one day be at their level. There were also no expectations for me so when I did eventually get some starts if I did horrible no one really cared since I was new to it all and just needed the experience. The pressure was essentially non-existent which is something I miss. Now as the starting goalie and one of the older guys on the team having good games is basically a requirement. Team losses are going to be blamed on me since I'm supposed to be stopping the puck from going in the net.

Another thing that is different is how much people talk to you and ask for input on something. Now that I've been with this team for 3 seasons people are more likely to ask just about anything and since I am more versed in how the league works and all the different point tasks I can occasionally help out our GM or AGM. 

Overall I do enjoy the veteran experience and what comes with it. Everything feels more relaxed and I'm not always so concerned about how I'm going to get my task done since I have a pretty solid system down for it. I'm not saying the rookie experience was terrible though. It was fun and having people to look up to was amazing. The people that I looked up to have mostly retired but they showed me how things are run and now I can hopefully do the same for our rookies. 

Now for some advice and things I wish I did differently. For any new player, being active is the number one most important thing you can do. You don't need to be talking to the team each day but checking in a few times a week is ideal. Building relationships with players as well as management can go a long way. Do your best to not burn yourself out. I did this and started to wonder if I wanted to continue. I started slacking off and not doing my training as much as I should’ve. Doing this as a rookie or even in the VHLM can derail your career and you may not even get the chance to become a veteran player.