Joe Madisons Rookie experience

samx

The time has come. The time that so many kids dream about. The time to graduate to the big leagues and go onto bigger and better things. I was drafted 14th overall in the season 77 VHL draft to the Calgary Wranglers and in season 78 came my time to move on up into the big leagues and leave the vhlm behind. I didn't have many expectations going in. I wasn't quite sure what to expect in all honesty. I am scared but also excited. I can't wait to see what the future has in store for me. For years I have dreamed of being able to play in the VHL and now the time has finally come and it's my turn.

Walking into the locker room for the first time I didn't know what to expect. I was excited to meet my new teammates but also scared of whether or not I’d fit in. I quickly realized how close the locker room was and how much it was like a family. The nerves quickly went away and turned into excitement. The offseason before my rookie year felt like an eternity. I was patiently waiting for game day to come so I could step on to the VHL ice for the first time.

That first game is something I will never forget. It was good enough to be playing in my first vhl game but the most memorable part of that night was that I scored my first vhl goal in that game. At 13:51 in my first game with Calgary I scored my first vhl goal on the powerplay. Nothing will ever compare to that feeling. I almost felt numb in the moment and after the game I realized what actually just happened. Not only did I just play in my first vhl game but I also scored. Let's just say there was a little celebration after.

As my rookie season has continued I didn't have quite as much luck going forward. The rest of the season points wise wasn't the best. It has for sure been a learning experience. Although I didn't have a lot of individual success Calgary as a team was doing fairly well which kept my spirits high.

Throughout my rookie year I have come to see how lucky I was to be drafted by such an amazing organization full of great people. I really couldn't have asked for a better place to start off my career than with Calgary.

8DAEABC9-2430-4616-93B5-15FDC01E1D7F.png.9602585899fb2ac6bfbda6506fd05ca1.png

Word count: 416