S78 WJC GM Announcement

bigAL

Another year of playoffs means another VHL World Junior Championship tournament is right around the corner! 

The first job of the commissioners every season is to hire the GMs. My job is pretty sweet, I love it, and I’d never complain about it, but shit do I hate the hiring process. The VHL community has grown so much in the S70s in terms of both quantity and quality of members. The people we have joining our little ol’ forum are engaged, enthusiastic, and eager to help out in any way they can. It’s a shame that there’s so few management jobs, because we have a very deep pool of eligible candidates. RJ and I are fortunate that we have five GM spots to fill and not just one, because I cannot imagine the stress of hiring one single VHLM GM.

One job of the WJC is to create opportunities for members to get their feet wet in the management side of the game. We talk a lot about how VHLM AGM is the entry-level job in management, but truthfully, even that is a prestigious and hard-to-come-by position these days. Every year, we get to five people their “first big break” as managers. The WJC is a place for rookies to learn the ropes of managing, to use their skills to hype the hell out of a team, and to show off to the world why they are the next great VHLM GM. For some, that payoff comes immediately (see: Thad and Kaleeb getting hired as VHLM GM right after the tournaments finished in S75 and 76; our S77 crew is inching closer to getting jobs); for others the WJC opens the door enough for an experienced manager to take a shot on them as AGMs; and another group yet come into the tournament as AGMs proving that they’re ready to take over a team of their own. Whatever their experience, the WJC is a key milestone on the path to a VHL/M GM position.

With all that being said, let’s see who gets the honour and the responsibility to select, manage, and hype the five WJC teams this season. In reverse order of last year’s standings, here are our GM picks:

---------------------

TEAM CANADA:
The Perpetual Underdog

The "hOcKeY nAtiOn" has been so terrible at this tournament over the last many, many years that the pundits have officially slapped the UNDERDOG label on them. Now that Team Asia is good, the tournament needs a new laughingstock and unfortunately for the Canadians, that's you. Can this be the year they rewrite their story? That'll be up to their new leader. Coming in with expectations low, a big ol bag of All Dressed Chips on their shoulder, and ready to make some noise, the new GM:

Spoiler

@v.2

---------------------

Team USA
There's a reason they don't call it North Canada

The Americans are coming in hot off a strong moral victory in S77. As is customary these days, Canada and USA often faceoff in the quarter-finals. This game is the most important emotionally to these two teams, and Team USA has taken the latest round. Can they keep it up and assert their dominance over the continent? Do they have a shot at crossing the pond and taking on the rest of the world? Only one person knows, your new GM, 

Spoiler

---------------------

Team Asia:

From Zero to Hero

Team Asia is back, baby. They've been on a roll here with medals in the last two tournaments. A silver in S76 plus a bronze in S77 means that they're looking to complete the podium with a big gold in S78. GMs are taking notice, and everyone wants to run the Asian squad. But, only one person can, and it's:

Spoiler

---------------------

Team World:

The Best of the Rest

Team EverywhereElse is always a force to be reckoned with. Buoyed by the recent ascension of Greenland as a hockey country, World has been consistency competitive every season. They've often battled in the finals, but came up just short with a silver last season. The expectation here is always Gold or Bust, which makes last season a disappointment. Can this season bring Team World back to its golden age? Only this person can make that happen, the new GM:

Spoiler

---------------------

Team Europe:

The real champagne, not just sparkling white

What is there to say about Team Europe that hasn't been written in the history books already? They are a model franchise at the WJC, and are always at the top of both the Power Rankings and the podium. Last year was no exception - World put up a good fight, but it was Europe's tournament from the very beginning. Can they keep up their winning ways this year? It's up to this new GM:

Spoiler

---------------------

And there you have it folks. The Continental Cup Finals are starting soon, which means our offseason tournament is starting soon. These are the people who will be making this tournament happen. 

In the coming days, they will be hard at work selecting rosters, inviting teams into the LRs, and getting hype for the juniors. Check out the eligibility criteria below to see if you might be on the list, or wait for the player list to come out soon. Expect rosters to be named before the end of playoffs, and sims to start two days after the Cup is awarded. 

See you then!

Player eligibility rules:
Players S78 and newer are all eligible
Players S77 and older must be below 350 TPE to be eligible
Any player beyond 350 TPE will (probably) be rolled back to their 350 build
Players are not guaranteed to play for their national team. Team Asia and Team World are historically understaffed and have the option to pull comparable players from Canada, USA, and Europe to ensure competitive balance.
Rosters are 9-4-2.

Congrats @Matt thunder!!! I've noticed how much you've applied to jobs around the league and I'm thrilled you finally got a shot! And of course, best of luck @BrutalBoost :P. Got to give my AGM some love. It'll be a fun WJC, I'll be watching closely! Congrats to all GM's, it's a fun time.

31 minutes ago, Peace said:

Congrats to the WJC GMs! 

Also thank god you didn't do fifty spoilers just to reveal who the GM was, @bigAL

#respekt

Nothing drives me more nuts. Like, seriously, why do you hate mobile users??!!??!!???!!

contagious love GIF

Due to life (ugh, just the worst), JHatty has stepped down.

On short notice, we needed a vet to step in and make things happen quickly. We’re very thankful for @Zetterberg for taking over the reins of Team USA for the rest of the tournament.