VSN Presents the S79 Draft Combine Interviews

mattyIceman

Hello everyone and welcome to the 2nd installment of the draft combine interviews.  I managed to catch up with 13 prospects eligible to be drafted in this upcoming offseason, and there's plenty of variety here between new and older members.  It's always a pleasure to gather some new details about the young guns entering the league and sharing with you, the community.

I gave the draftees the option to be interviewed as a member or as a player, so now you have the chance to learn alot about the players or members.  Players were asked a little about themselves and their performance, their thoughts on their draft ranking, if they look up to a certain VHL star and/or want to emulate them (or develop their own playstyle), and if they're gunning for Cups or Awards.  Some sure are pretty ambitious!  As for the people that wanted to be interviewed as a member, you'll learn about their time in the league, what a new member's first impressions of the league are, and what hardware they value more.

Onto the interviews!

MIROSLAV TSAROV @PadStack

Classy interview from a modest Tsarov

I wanted to try playing as a winger because I wanted to be a big body scoring goals.  Most of the big men go play defense, I wanted to be different.  In regards to my performance this season, overall; no.  We struggled down the stretch and faltered in the first round of the playoffs. That’s what matters.  I'm not trying to play like anyone else.  I’m my own player and person, with my own play style and going to be a unique one.  I want to be the big body that does it all.  I have no idea where I’ll go in the draft, I haven’t talked to many teams yet.  I’m hoping to go in the top 4 rounds, but any team that takes me will get my best effort.  I’ve already had a full career in Europe before coming over here. I have one thing on my mind and that’s about championships. If I can be a 3rd line filler on a cup team I’ll be happier than if I was the scoring champion.  I’m not aiming to being in the Hall of Fame, but I want a nice long fruitful career.

DEAGUN RUST @Spade18

This pugilist is looking for more challenges...

Rust is a rough and tumble, old school hockey kind of guy.  He's all about the forecheck, taking the body, putting the pressure on the other team, and standing up for his teammates.  (Spade18): I've done a defensive defenseman, a goalie, and then two scoring forwards (technically) in a row.  I wanted to try something a little different.  I didn't fight this season, so no, I am not satisfied with his performance.  I'm not really looking to emulate anyone; I want to carve out my own niche.   I would guess he could be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, because being both a welfare player and a grinder, he's not going to garner first-round attention, nor should he, but I feel he'll go higher than his rank as I am consistent with the welfare and have been around the block a few times in the league.  I'm a good fit on any team.  Who doesn't need a bruiser in their ranks?   The cup is always the dream, but my main goal is to try and become the all time penalty minute leader, and (not sure if this is tracked) fight leader.

SIGARD PETRENKO @SlapshotDragon

Petrenko shares much about about himself and his VHL goals

I've always been into hockey.  I was never really big enough to play defense or flexible enough to be a goalie, so I just decided to be a forward.  I'm only 5'8" so Center wasn't really the best option for me.  I chose to be a right winger even though I shoot lefty.  I feel like it makes me in better position to shoot because my stick is away from the boards and towards the net.  I could have done better this season.  I scored goals when I could and assisted when I could.  I think I should be decent offensively.  My real concern is my defense.  My plus-minus is very low compared to my point totals.  It's great that I can score and help others score but if I'm doing poorly defensively, it's sorta pointless.  I need to work on making sure I can keep up with the best offenses and help the team shut them down.  Funnily enough, the person I share a name with, Sigard Gunnar.  Man was a scoring machine back in the day, and if I had to choose a current VHL player, Robin Winters.  Such a complete player.  He can score goals, assist on goals, be physical, just an amazing player.  I'm hoping to be even half as good as he is right now.  His late success has been very fun to watch.   Seattle, Seattle, and Seattle.  I've heard Seattle needs wingers, so they might pick me.  However, I wouldn't be a good top 4 pick.  I probably will be picked mid or late first round, which I'm okay with.  I'm not a superstar in the VHLM but I know my role and I try my best to do it.  Plus, it'd be beneficial to get some advice from the more experienced players on the team.  However, I'd be honoured to be picked by any team.  I'll always put team success over individual success, so Continental Cups is the goal.  Sure, I could be the next Connor McDavid and absolutely dominate the league yet no cups to show for it but I'd rather be a fourth-liner on a team that can win together.  No one person can make up a team.  Maybe one day I can hope for the VHL Hall of Fame, but I have to prove that I can make a Victory Hockey League roster first.  If the stars align and I do end up being a pretty good player, I guess I could try aiming for the Hall of Fame.  It isn't my main priority right now but it could be a goal in the future.

JONATHAN ORI @ROOKIE745

ROOKIE745 gives tidbits about his career with former goaltender Jaxx Hextall and his first-gen experience

I've only had one previous player, that being goaltender Jaxx Hextall.  He had a good solid career all spent in Toronto.  Never won a cup or any awards but I was happy with his overall numbers.  As for my past, well, it's all been pretty good, I've enjoyed all my time here so far, nothing to really say here.  I did have some interest in become a GM or AGM but I honestly just don't think I could give the team the time it deserves, maxing my own player is already time consuming enough for me.  Written media is my preference as I have no experience with doing graphics, I haven't claimed welfare for a long while now.  Playing for the team is more important to me but in terms of a successful career?  I think individual awards.  Winning cups is a team effort and one person can't take you there, winning individual award shows that you are a star player and doing everything to get your team there, but winning the cup is something I think any player would take over individual awards.

SUNRISE VAN DE SCHUBBEKUTEVEEN @Thunfish

A new face in the VHL tells us his career plans and expectations

I just like being a left winger, to be honest. Never really passed by my head any sort of rationale; not to say I'd be against playing somewhere else, it's just the one I'm more familiar with.  I worked with the team and it was my first season, I'd say it was mighty fine as a start.  I'm not thinking of anyone in the VHL to emulate in particular, to be honest.  I wish to be a pass-first guy  type of guy but really, I just follow whatever the team tells me to do, given they're way more informed than I am.   I always imagine I'll be a late pick because it's better than have heavy expectations that would probably be blown up.  I don't really mind where I end up at all in the draft and I just hope to be useful to whoever picks me.  Team awards come first and foremost. Besides, imagine if I actually won more individual stuff and they had to rename a prize after me.  Doesn't really roll off the tongue.  Hall of fame would be cool but I'm fine if I don't get there either, long as I had fun.

TYLER REINHART @Zetterberg

The projected first overall pick has a deep-rooted hockey past with his brother, and shares his past and future hopes

Coming from Greenland I’ve had to adjust a lot.  It’s a big switch going from such a small town to playing in big cities all across North America.  Although admittedly living in Yukon feels pretty familiar to back home.  That may be part of the reason why I’ve been so comfortable on the Rush, because I came from such a small town I decided to play right wing, now that may sound like a weird reason but the team sizes in Greenland were very small.  This meant teams would have two centers and six wingers so if I wanted to play with my brother Jerome, I’d have to play either as a defenseman or as a winger.  Call it selfish but we liked scoring so it was a no brainer to go with the wing.  I can’t complain about this past season, haha!  Yukon is in the finals and I’d say I did a pretty good job helping out the team.  Top 3 in the league was not what I was expecting moving over to the VHLM but a lot of things just lined up perfectly and that allowed me to succeed.  I owe a lot of that success to my brother and my teammates.  I don’t want to emulate anybody, putting labels and trying to be someone else I think would do more harm then good.  Lately, I’ve tried not to think about the draft.  Lots of pressure going into it, it’s hard to ignore all the praise in the mock drafts and I know a lot of people have a lot of expectations for me.  As far as where I think I should be drafted I’ll say in the first round.  I’m good to play anywhere, I liked the GM of Moscow in the brief interaction we had but I’m sure I’d love anywhere I went.  I think the only correct answer to winning either Cups or individual awards, is the cup.  I want to win as many cups as possible, and any awards that come along with the chase are just a bonus.  Hall of fame is definitely a goal for me, you can be modest and say it’s not but everybody dreams of getting in it.  If I may I would also like to address the speculation around me and Jerome.  I don’t think it’s a secret that we’ve always played together even before the VHLM and we would like to continue that in the VHL.  With that said I don’t want to force anybody to draft us together, since we aren’t opposed to playing on different teams, it’s just eventually we’d like to have some extent of our careers on the same team.

POOPY PEEPEANTS @JardyB10

A high-profile returning member goes behind the scenes about his past VHL experiences and his prolific comeback

I joined the VHL some time during S15, and Jardy Bunclewirth, a left winger, was my first player. I didn't earn any non-"free" TPE until I was drafted, after which I finally felt comfortable in the league and my activity exploded. Bunclewirth went on to put up one of the most impressive rookie seasons of all-time en route to a Hall of Fame career all with the Calgary Wranglers.  During his career, I quickly became a grader, a moderator, Calgary's GM, and finally Commissioner.  Once Bunclewirth retired I re-created as CAL G, who I intended to be the Wranglers' future goalie. However, I believe I took over as the Head (and only) Simmer around this time, and so commie and real life duties became too much for me to also be a GM, so I stepped down and gave the position to @diamond_ace . CAL G went on to play most his career with the Seattle Bears (with a little bit of Vasteras sprinkled in at the end), and he too made it into the Hall of Fame.  I continued my commie simming duties throughout all this.  Next up was Naomi Young. She was my attempt at a pure playmaking center.  Despite the fact that she was the player I earned the most TPE with (1,013 TPE), she was also my least successful active player!  She spent two pairs of seasons with the Helsinki Titans at each end of her career, three seasons with the Davos Dynamo, and a season with the Quebec City Meute.  Not only did she never win an individual award, but she never even had a 100-point season.  She did win one Cup with Davos though.  I continued my commie simming duties throughout all of this.  At this time, @Victor wanted to make rival goalies based off the Clegane brothers from A Song of Ice and Fire, and thus was born the legendary Sandro Clegane, my second goaltender.  He was drafted by the Cologne Express, and managed to be successful in a legendary era for goaltenders, winning the Aidan Shaw Trophy three times, and most importantly, coming out victorious in the S51 Continental Cup Cleganebowl.  He played for four different teams in his career, which I'm realizing now means that my players all play for one extra team every time I re-create. I continued my commie simming duties throughout all this.  Finally, we reach the twilight of my 8-year stint in the VHL with right winger Motherfucker Sharpe, bastard son of Robert.  This player was my failed attempt at a pure goon with too much TPE.  That didn't come to pass, as I only ended up earning 542 TPE with the boy before I went inactive. In addition to my simming and commie duties at this time, the VHL also introduced "Project Player Two," a movement probably intended to prevent excessive league contraction, as activity levels were not doing so well.  So halfway through Sharpe's career, I also created defenceman Dragon McDragon.  He made it to 201 TPE.  Then in February 2018 I went on a month vacation overseas.  When I returned I finished simulating S59, and when the off-season hit I vanished. I was burnt out and overwhelmed, and it was unfortunately too easy not to check in any more.  It was a solid 39ish season run as Commissioner, probably about 37 as simmer.  There were ups and downs, but it was a long time ago, and much of it has bled together in my mind, sadly.  Given how I exited the league last time, and how much the league has changed since, my expectations with Poopy Peepants are not terribly high! McDragon was my first defenceman, and I went inactive very early in his career, so Peepants will be picking up where he left off.  I'd like him to be a solid playmaking defenceman, a la David Henman. It would be cool if I could win a Beketov and/or a Wylde Trophy, but I'll be content enough to be useful at all!  I'm almost exclusively living that podcast life!  Back in the day I was a media guy though, and I'll still do "VHL.COM ARTICLES" (though us geriatrics know they're still called Fan 590s) to earn my last 1 TPE to reach the weekly cap.  My time holding management positions in the VHL is done. I maybe wouldn't mind becoming an Updater if possible, as that seems to be a job that can be flexible with my real life schedule.  For the most part though, I'd like to see the VHL run by mostly fresh faces, from top to bottom.  Grading was my first gig.  During that I briefly became a moderator (Red Team) which was not a paid occupation. Nor was GMing the VHLM's Minot Gladiators.  Nor was GMing the Wranglers after that.  Nor was being Commissioner for those first couple seasons, but once I took over from @sterling as the simmer, I paid myself for that.  I believe I had a brief stint as Ottawa Lynx's GM some time in the S50s or something like that.  I would certainly say a player that wins a bunch of Cups has had a successful career, regardless of how well they did individually, as that is every player and team's ultimate goal after all. However, I think players that have more individual success (and thus Hall of Fame careers) do tend to stand out more and be more memorable, hence their HOF status!

ZDENO CHARA @Agito

A first-gen player leaves alot of mystery about him...

Zdeno Chara is my favorite player and I wanted to play a really important position on a team, so I chose to be a defenseman just like him.  I think that for a 132 TPE player, it's a very good start to my career, so I'm happy with my performance, but there is always room for improvement!  I'm not really looking at any other VHL player to build my style, I'm my own player.  I like to play defense offensively.  To tell you the truth about the draft and where I'll get picked, I have no idea and I love the mystery! But I would still like to join a playoff contender.  The Hall Of Fame is one of my goals but my ultimate goal is the VHLE!  I would like to get there before Zdeno Chara retires!

EM EM FLEX @oilmandan

A VHL vet gets right to the point and keeps it short about his past and his plans going forward...

This is my third player now, my first one bounced around a lot but was very solid two way player.  My most recent player, was more of a fighter.  He set the record for most fights in a season too.  Both won championships with Seattle, so I’m satisfied with both, but not overly happy.  With my next player, I’m hoping to be a solid starter somewhere that needs a young goalie.  Hopefully will win some awards and more championships too, but we’ll see. I’m an affiliate welfare type.  I do the odd graphic or media.  I don’t hold any jobs currently here, though I used to be an updater and the GM for Las Vegas a long time ago, but I don’t think I’d want a management job again.  STHS is a pain to use I think.  I believe cups are the most important thing to win. however, an individual award or two would be nice, but I’d rather win titles over anything.

AJ WILLIAMS @ajwllmsn

A new kid on the block has high hopes to become an impactful player and member

I found the league through a YouTube ad.  It was around the middle of May and I was still in Ontario's shutdown so I was super bored and decided to try out the VHL.  It has been going really well so far.  I feel like I am decently known throughout the community.  At first it was a lot to take in (TPE, how a forum works, all the discord channels) but after a week I got the hang of things and got addicted to gaining TPE.  I don't think it has been challenging to get used to everything, at first it is a lot but once I started reading up on the important stuff of the VHL I was cruising through the forums.  I am very interested in league jobs/management.  I just applied to Halifax for the AGM spot and that was my first ever job application.  I would love to start off as an AGM to get a feel for management and then hopefully eventually one day become a GM for whatever league, it does not matter to me.  I have done graphics and they're alright to do, but I much prefer media spots.  I hated English class in high school, all the essays and different writing assignments, but for the VHL I feel like I can write entire books about it.  I guess being interested in what I am writing about plays a big part.  I believe cups are more important.  I don't look back in the records books to see who won the Scotty Campbell Trophy 10 seasons ago, I look back at Continental Cups and which teams have had success.  I can't even name anyone from S60 or prior, it doesn't interest me.  Everyone has rebuilds already and I care about who their player is now and who they play for.  Winning cups is an amazing feeling to share with your teammates and the VHL community that supports your team.

ERLANTZ JOKINEN @jRuutu

Longtime member jRuutu gives perspective on his past players, and more...

I joined somewhere around season 42, I think.  The first player I created was a power-forward winger.  Then I created a defender, center, another power-forward winger, and now back to defense, never created a goalie.  This player is my 5th player in VHL.  One of the players has made it to the Hall of Fame, I have won few individual awards, not many.  A cool little statistic is that I have won at least one championship with all of my players.  I want to compete and win championships.   I want to build the best player I can.  I have an idea for a build that I will go after, offensive defender.   There are also little things I want to try when it comes down to contract negotiations, I want to take control over my career early on.  I'm definitely a media guy, I can't make anything graphics related.  I usually enjoy writing the point tasks, I can try different angles and ideas, which is nice.  I also never had a job in the league.  I´m 95% sure that I have never even applied for a job.  If I would somehow get a management job of some kind - I would take it too seriously.  I have a clear idea of what is only fair, some players might not think the same way.  You can have a successful career without ever winning anything, you could be a ''cult hero'' by playing only for one team.  Still, I think cups are where it's at, ''every'' player can win one.  Individual awards and Hall of Fame stuff require that you are in the right place.  For example, you score a lot during the regular season by being the main player in offense, which helps in you getting to the Hall of Fame, but you don't get anywhere near the cup.  Is that a great season?  Not always.

DONNY CARTER @TheNeonShaman

A calm-and-collected approach from a poised first gen member

I chose to play left wing because I don't like to take faceoffs too often, but I like to get into a scoring role.  I am very satisfied with my performance this season, as I hit my start of season goals of at least 10 goals and 20 assists.  I don't really know a lot of VHL players yet, but comparing to NHL players I would like to model my style as a two way threat like Patrice Bergeron or Mark Stone.  I have no clue where I will get drafted, or who I would get drafted to, and I don't really have a preference, though it would be nice to be on a team with some teammates from the Houston Bulls.  I don't know which team I would be a good fit on, but I will try my hardest for any team that drafts me.  I'm after more continental cups definitely, the team game is what I play.  I think getting in the VHL hall of fame would be really cool, it's not something I'm going to strive after.  I just want to win a few cups.

PAPA EMERITUS @Beketov

Member since the beginning tempers expectations about his new goalie, and shares insights...

Papa Emeritus is my 12th player if memory serves correctly.  Normally I went back and forth between forwards and goalies, but I’ve actually made skaters for my last three, so going back to goalie for the first time in a bit.  Historically, my goalies have been hit or miss in quality, never usually those breakout star types.  I’m hoping after the success I had with Matt Thompson and Mikko Lahtinen, I can translate that HoF caliber player over to one of my goalies.  I want to get back into the cup win column after not getting one with Lahtinen.  Finishing off that triple gold he just missed would be lovely as well.  Outside of that: just proving, I think to myself as much as anything, that I actually can make a solidly successful goalie.  A lot of the newer members are kinda assuming that any player I make will be a beast because they’ve only known Thompson and Lahtinen, but historically players like that aren’t my norm.  Here’s hoping Thompson was my break out player and everyone after him can truly be a star.  Strictly speaking about point tasks, I am a graphics guy, but obviously I don’t need to do any for the most part given that (VHL)commish pays me 6 and simming pays me 6.  Living that sweet “auto” 12 life haha.  The VHL Hall of Fame would be the biggest mark of success for me.  Cups are, in my opinion, more important to get, but a player can easily win 4 cups and not be a HoF or “successful” player, they simply played on a good team. You don’t get into the hall without success.

2 week claim

I should've said that I don't really mind wherever or whenever I get drafted but thanks for the opportunity for a talk. Sorry that it was on a rush, but I did arrive in French class at time that day.