Nicholas Corrigan Junior Review

scottisheyebrow

Ever since his uncle introduced him to the game of hockey by taking him to a Halifax 21st game at a young age, Nicholas Corrigan was hooked. "Seeing the speed and skill of the players at this level was mind-blowing, and I knew that I immediately needed to be a part of that world." We caught up with Nick at his childhood home, an older apartment in the Clayton Park neighborhood. "Growing up here was tough, I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Lots of societal issues with violence and drug use. Now, the population seems to be expanding and more property is being built here, so it's been an amazing shift to watch." Nicholas still lives with his mom Nancy; he tries to support her in any way he can as she grows older. He grew up without a father ("I don't even know who he is or where he is,") but joining his local hockey team with a little bit of financial support from the community filled in that role for him. He shows me around his small but charming childhood room, the shelves filled with trophies from the many tournaments he participated in. Nick grabs an older looking trophy and dusts it off with his free hand. "This one was one of my first trophies." He laughs. "I remember getting the wind knocked out of me in the finals, running into the boards at full speed. Felt like I was going to die right then and there, but Fleecie helped me up and told me to get back out there."

Paul Fleece was the coach of Nicholas' team growing up in Halifax, and while he is no longer a member of the local leagues, he volunteers and has seen Nick's progress for many years. "I always knew that kid was going to go somewhere. He always worked as hard as he could to help the team, and I think his teammates appreciated that." Paul explains. "Nick just wanted to be faster than everyone, always wanted to race." He chuckles. "I'm proud of him."

Nick's work ethic and skill seem to have placed him in a good spot, as various teams have approached him ahead of this year's VHLM draft. He laughs and blushes as we bring it up to him. "Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I'm just so humbled that these people are even talking to me. I'm blessed regardless of what happens during the draft. Just happy to be seen in such a positive light."

417 words

MacKinnon-1024x681.jpg

Edited by scottisheyebrow
Adding a couple words and an image.