S78 Hall of Fame Induction

Victor

• Admin

Greetings all! On this fine summer's day, as we celebrate the birth of the VHL once again, we also celebrate the induction of 2 fine Hall of Famers.

C - Mikko Lahtinen, S70-S77 :cal::mos::ldn:

RS: 576 GP, 279 G, 363 A, 642 P, +214, 1,012 PIM, 2,183 HIT, 163 SB, 51 GW

PO: 99 GP, 52 G, 42 A, 94 P, +10, 237 PIM, 371 HIT, 36 SB, 10 GW

S72 Dustin Funk Trophy (Most Improved)

S74 Scotty Campbell Trophy (Most Valuable)

S74 Brett Slobodzian Trophy (Most Outstanding)

S74 Kevin Brooks Trophy (Most Goals)

S74 Scott Boulet Trophy (Top Two-Way)

S75 Scotty Campbell Trophy (Most Valuable)

S75 Scott Boulet Trophy (Top Two-Way)

S76 Brett Slobodzian Trophy (Most Outstanding)

S76 Mike Szatkowski Trophy (Most Points)

S76 Kevin Brooks Trophy (Most Goals)

S76 Scott Boulet Trophy (Top Two-Way)

3x All-VHL First Team (S74, S75, S76)

1x All-VHL Second Team (S72)

To the surprise of absolutely no one, Mikko Lahtinen enters the Hall of Fame as a first ballot inductee. There is a valid suggestion that Lahtinen is the best player to never win a Continental Cup, and it wasn't for lack of trying. Lahtinen played for 3 Victory Cup winning teams who all fell short in the playoffs, but he still put up superb playoff stats. He made the finals twice in the early part of his career with Calgary, but is perhaps best known for a 3-season spell with Moscow, where he racked in a very impressive amount of awards, especially in this era of great parity, but fell to two conference finals defeats in his time in Russia (a Kanou Trophy to complete his collection would surely have followed with an extra playoff series).  Lahtinen put up the most career points of any player who retired this side of S70 and will go down as one of the finest forwards of the modern era.

G - Raymond Bernard, S68-S75 :mos:

RS: 457 GP, 259 W, 151 L, 45 OTL, 2.59 GAA, .919 SV%, 26 SO 

PO: 67 GP, 36 W, 26 L, 5 OTL, 2.62 GAA, .921 SV%, 5 SO

S70 Daisuke Kanou Trophy (Playoff MVP)

S72 Scotty Campbell Trophy (Most Valuable)

S72 Aidan Shaw Trophy (Top Goalie)

S74 Aidan Shaw Trophy (Top Goalie)

S74 Greg Clegane Trophy (Lowest GAA)

2x All-VHL First Team (S72, S74)

1x All-VHL Second Team (S73)

One Continental Cup (S70)

Bernard stopped the opposition while Lahtinen scored as they crossed paths for 2 seasons in Moscow, but Bernard's Hall of Fame induction was probably secured before Lahtinen's arrival for his heroics in the first half of his career. Drafted to a team searching for a franchise goaltender, Bernard became a franchise hero, the MVP of Moscow's maiden championship, subsequently cementing his position as a great regular season goalie as well, finding consistency in an era where very few goalies could. Bernard bounced back from weaker seasons but more importantly generally strung together good seasons in a row and was reliable throughout his career - it's no coincidence Moscow didn't miss the playoffs after his rookie season and was a perennial cup threat. 

Two excellent players and members with polar opposite histories - it's @Beketov's 2nd straight inductions and he's been here since the beginning, while @Mr_Hatter gets his first ever player into the HOF - a rare distinction.

VOTING RESULTS

Mikko Lahtinen - 13/13

Raymond Bernard - 9/13

-----

Hulk Hogan - 2/13

Wesley Kellinger - 1/13

Jakab Holik - 0/13

Tyson Kohler - 0/13

Alexander Pepper - 0/13

• Commissioner
21 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Congrats! @TXC

Oh that’s cruel haha.

congrats @Mr_Hatter! We played together in Moscow and we go into the Hall together, it’s only fitting.

I kinda thought this day would come eventually, but its all the more sweeter now. Thank you to the voters! And thanks @Victor for giving me a platform to build my career on, trusting a first gen player to be Moscow's backstop for my whole career. 

@Beketov, congrats and well deserved! Definitely a fitting end to Lahtinen's career, and in many ways fitting that we go in together 🍻

MOSCOW MOSCOW MOSCOW

I couldn't have been happier going into A Red Guy's career to have a first gen goalie in my draft class to compete against that took to the league so well and so quickly. Bernard's presence helped keep me motivated on ARG and now your awesome accomplishments see you take your rightful place in the Hall of Fame. Couldn't have happened to a better dude, big congrats @Mr_Hatter!

:salutecolbert:

Oh yeah congrats to @Beketov too!

Edited by .sniffuM

4 hours ago, .sniffuM said:

I couldn't have been happier going into A Red Guy's career to have a first gen goalie in my draft class to compete against that took to the league so well and so quickly. Bernard's presence helped keep me motivated on ARG and now your awesome accomplishments see you take your rightful place in the Hall of Fame. Couldn't have happened to a better dude, big congrats @Mr_Hatter!

:salutecolbert:

Oh yeah congrats to @Beketov too!

Thank you my friend ❤️ 

• Victor unfeatured this topic