A Sit-Down With the New VHLE GM's and Commissioners

Bobo

VSN Insider: The VHLE GM Interviews

Including the VHLE Commissioners.

Good day to all VHL members in the community, and welcome to a special report on the recent VHLE GM hirings. With the recent announcement of the Victory Hockey League Europe (VHLE)’s first ever General Managers, The league has taken a massive step forward in making sure the VHLE--VHL’s third league--is ready to drop the puck for the inaugural season at the beginning of season 80. Six members were announced as the GM’s, some being former VHLM managers, some being long-time members looking for a front office role. The Berlin Steel got Kaleebthemighty, the Bratislava Watchmen got FrostBeard, the Cologne Express got Advantage, the Paris Revolution got InstantRockstar, the Stockholm Vikings got thadthrasher, and the Vasteras Iron Eagles got rjfryman. Congratulations to all of the new VHLE GM’s on their positions. Each member who got selected got picked for a good reason, and are well deserving of the job. For the questions, we made sure to ask the commissioners some questions on the process of selecting the GM’s, expectations for them, and why they selected the people they selected. The GM’s will be asked questions about how they will create a culture in their locker room, their background in the league, and how they will face the challenges they are given with such a position in a brand new league. 

Berlin Steel Interview with @KaleebtheMighty:

Question 1: Tell me some things about your past in the league, for example: any prior positions, player accolades, etc.

“I first started in the VHL in June, 2020. My first player - Victor Grachev - began his career as a Philadelphia Reaper, then was drafted by the Miami Marauders in the VHLM and the Warsaw Predators in the VHL. He earned S74 All Rookie honors and has been a staple in Warsaw ever since. Not a HOF defenseman, but a proven workhorse that does his job well. In personal terms, I began my management career with a WJC GM position for Team Asia, where we nearly took home the gold in S76. It was a wild run, and I enjoyed every minute of it! I immediately was brought on by DMaximus as the AGM for the Philadelphia Reapers in S77, and then was promoted to the GM position for that team in S78. I had initially planned on staying down in the VHLM, but when news broke out about the VHLE, I knew that this was an opportunity that I could really flourish in. I got to work and put in a lot of effort into helping bring the teams to fruition, and was chosen to be a GM for the team I helped create, the Berlin Steel. It is amazing to GM your own creation, and I'm looking forward to doing great things for the Steel!”

Question 2: With the new position, how will you build a culture in your respective locker room?

“Appropriate culture is key for my locker room. I strive to maintain a level of professionalism, unity, and fun in my locker rooms. Additionally, being available to my players when I can is very important. The precedence I set as the manager defines the team. Being involved in the community of the VHL is also important, but again keeping to that level of professionalism builds the respect of the team and the locker room. This is a unique chance for a new team to be defined in the VHL, and that's something I want to keep in mind as the locker room is established.”

Question 3: Being a GM in a new league, what challenges do you think you will face in the first season and how will you overcome them?

“It's like weathering a storm. We are in new territory, and it is extremely important to be flexible. Rules will be defined as season progress. Having the capacity to understand this aspect will help me succeed in this new role, for my attitude, adjustments, and example set the tone for future GMs.”

Paris Revolution Interview with @InstantRockstar:

Question 1: Tell me some things about your past in the league, for example: any prior positions, player accolades, etc.

“I've been in the league over a decade, I've held likely 10+ GMing positions prior to this one all over the VHL and VHLM. I've also been a VHLM commissioner while holding other jobs throughout my tenure in the league. Most recently I was AGM for Yukon, GM for San Diego and then GM for my current Miami Marauders which I've had a blast doing. Player wise honestly... not a lot to say about him, kind of lost my desire for him later on in his career but he has a cup under his name and a couple of individual player VHLM awards for his performance during his time in the M.”

Question 2: With the new position, how will you build a culture in your respective locker room?

“The same way I always hold my LR's really, nothing will change. I am a very hands-on GM, I am very active and talkative in my LR's, I always do my best to ping players when any special events occur or during sims to hype them up for the sim, performance, etc. I always as well bring a good level of respect into the LR so people know they can trust me, come to me if they need to chat, etc, I'm just there for them no matter what. I'll go to bat for my players always as they are my main priority and any concern they have, is a concern of mine. My LR's are always also safe spaces, people can be who they want to be, and just enjoy their league experience to the fullest. There is no tolerance for hate, no tolerance for stupidity, no tolerance for any type of shaming, etc, so that is what I plan to bring the the E and to Paris.”

Question 3: Being a GM in a new league, what challenges do you think you will face in the first season and how will you overcome them?

“I think it'll just be playing in the 'unknown'. We know nothing really to prepare us per-say. Other than some rules, a lot of things are still unknown, so it'll just be finding our footing and actually being able to make an impact in the initial season.”

Stockholm Vikings Interview with @thadthrasher:

“I have been in the league since October 2020. Since then I have been a VHLM GM, a WJC GM, and a WCoH GM. I've had my player appear in the World Cup of Hockey twice and once in the WJC as well. I've also won the Elmebeck Trophy.”

“I plan to stay interactive with my players. I want our locker room to be a place that people desire to be. A place where we show each other respect while also having a lot of fun. I've found that when I'm active my players tend to be as well.”

“This new league will offer quite a few challenges. I'm going from a league that focuses a lot on recruitment and retention to a league that's a bit more competitive. With this being a brand new league there may be rules that change and situations that call for flexibility. It'll be difficult to handle, but not impossible.”

Vasteras Iron Eagles Interview with @rjfryman:

Question 1: SKIPPED

“So there are 4 main things I plan on doing to make a culture in my LR. 1) Open to anyone who wants to join. I don't care if you are in the VHLE or not if you are on my team or not. If you want to join our LR and are ok with our rules you are welcome to hang. 2) Bring Super Fans to come and pump up our team. There are some people who are old school people who remember when Vasteras was a team in the VHL and I want them in my LR hanging out and cheering on the squad and making it fun to be around. 3) I plan on doing some good intermingling of Forum based communication and Discord based communication. That will happen in a variety of ways. Hopefully it works out and is good. 4) I am a board game geek and will be hosting board game nights probably every other week, maybe every week if there is huge interest. Also includes things like Jackbox and other fun things. Will be open to anyone in the LR.”

“I think the biggest issue in my first season for my team and every other team is simply buy-in from the players and the league. There are some people who don't love the idea of the VHLE, taking players from the M or keeping players out of the VHL. I want to show and be an open person to allow for anyone who wants to be here or has to be here to feel like there is nothing wrong with the VHLE or anything like that. I hear some maxers grumbling about skipping the VHLE entirely and that's fine but I want to show and be a welcoming environment for everyone who comes into the league, into my team, or into my LR. I think the biggest thing that could go wrong with an E franchise is not getting buy-in from the community early. I plan on making that my sole focus. Winning is important and I plan on trying my best but in my mind PR is going to be the biggest issue with the E more than any other thing.”

Cologne Express Interview with @Advantage:

“Well I have been in the league since Season 17. I have two Hall of Fame players and had the pleasure of being inducted into the Hall of Fame as a builder a little while ago. I was the first VHL GM to hit 1000 wins, holding positions with the New York Americans, Stockholm Vikings, Cologne Express and the Malmo Nighthawks. I also have ten seasons as a VHLM GM under my belt as well. Finally, between the two leagues I have 7 GM of the Year Trophies.”

“Similarly to how I built it with Malmo, I would be trying to sell people on a brand new team to the league. However, Cologne is a bit different as they have a history in our league. So I would want to be a bit different about it, and bring our history back to the forefront. Expect some announcements soon on this and perhaps some honoring of players. Beyond that, I will always promote a positive approach in my locker room and bring a light and fun atmosphere to the table.”

“I think the biggest challenge for all six or us GMs is to get used to a whole new set of rules and guidelines. Also it becomes more difficult to build a team when their time in the league is a little more uncertain. However we are all on the same level of playing field so it should be a fun journey going forward. I'll use my experience to ultimately overcome any challenges and rely on perhaps a few teammates and leaders on the team to help achieve my goals.”

Bratislava Watchmen Interview with @FrostBeard:

“I have had plenty of experience in the league - I was a WJC Co-commissioner back in S65, was VHLM GM of Houston Bulls from S66 to S70, had the pleasure of being a Malmo Nighthawks GM from S71 to S76. With both of the franchises, as a GM I helped to make a path to their first league championships. I also was VSN Editor-in-chief for about 8 to 9 months. Overall, I think that I have been around enough and that I know quite a bit about VHL and our community.”

“I strongly believe that the culture starts from the GM as a fairly laid-back guy who enjoys simpler things in life like bees, chess, and old music, I think that I want to incorporate that into my LR. Also, I think that players that join the team have a unique chance to help me create that new and bright culture. I will also bribe people. Honey is expensive, you know?”

“I believe that the challenges are there in any situation when you start something fresh and new. I don't see however that we will find anything different from what it means to become a GM. Even in an older league or on a team that has created its traditions and culture you still face the same question - how do you create it your own? Added to that, it will be vital for us, VHLE GMs to work hard on maintaining VHLE as an active league and not create us as a place for people to stay while they are away on vacations for 2 months or when they have fallen out of love for VHL.”

VHLE Commissioner Interview 1, with @Victor:

Question 1: What was the process of selecting the GMs like?

“Honestly, very tough. Everyone, and I mean everyone, who submitted interview responses did a great job and they all had a solid case for the job - that's about 20 applications for just 6 positions. Of course, it was great to see the enthusiasm and the interest, but it meant making difficult decisions.”

Question 2: What are some expectations that you might have for the new managers?

“I want everyone to try their best to build a competitive and inclusive team from day one, franchises which people want to be part of and somewhere they can make memories to take with them as they continue their VHL journey. I think all 6 GMs said the right things, now it's all about putting that into practice.”

Question 3: Why were the people who were selected to become the first VHLE GM's selected?

“We wanted a mixture to get a diverse demographic - veterans of the league who have done and seen it all, but also new blood that can relate to the newer members that will be going through and spending more time in the VHLE. GMing experience was paramount and also a clear desire to be part of the new league - and I think that came through in everyone we chose.”

VHLE Commissioner Interview 2, with @Acydburn:

Question 1: What was the process of selecting the GMs like?

“It was a very difficult process, there were a lot of great applicants but unfortunately only 6 spots available.”

Question 2: What are some expectations that you might have for the new managers?

“I would expect them to be active and engaging with the league and their teams. Build up hype within the E. Tell Victor and myself if something in the league is working or not working and any improvements they think we could use.”

Question 3: Why were the people who were selected to become the first VHLE GM's selected?

“We had a mixed bag of applicants and I thought we separated them into different categories. All of the applicants have shown us that they can handle being a VHLE GM in different ways.”

It’s very interesting to hear what the GM’s and commissioners have to say regarding the massive step forward in the VHLE. Having managers for the new teams is just part of the many announcements to come regarding the E and the teams in the league. Logos, the rosters, and more are still yet to come. We want to thank the newly-announced GM’s and commissioners for doing these interviews with us, and going in-depth on these hirings. We already have one logo somewhat announced, that belonging to the Berlin Steel, which they announced in a promotional video. The link to that will be here

Spoiler

Tags have already been done, so WORD COUNT: 2872 WORDS, 15352 CHARACTERS.

Edited by Bobo
Formatting issues here and there needed to be fixed.