VHL: CET

bigAL

VHL: Central European Time

I didn't know what to expect from my VHL experience when I moved to Europe. I was pretty nervous, to be honest, and mostly about the European timezone.

I'm a notorious early sleeper. Even in EST, I had a hard time keeping up with all the excitement that happens after 9 or 10pm each night. Now 9pm EST is 3am here?! I thought I'd never see anyone ever again! I'd be at work when people are asleep, and then I'd be asleep when people are at work. Of course, I only ran into this problem trying to stay in touch with my parents, people who work all day and are (what's the opposite of degenerate?) 

The new timezone works surprisingly well for me. My new bff Beketov wakes up at a too-early-in-EST time, which is right about when I get my lunch break. We get a lot of work done in that short window where our free time lines up. 

When I wake up in the morning, I'm greeted by some of my favourite people, the eastern degens and the western late nighters. I get to see these people only on special occasions when I'm in Canada (summer and Fridays is pretty much the only time I stay up late enough to get silly with the west coast). Now I get to participate in degen hours! 7-8am Euro time is 1-2am EST, the actual degen-y degen hours. Sorry Blazzer, 4-7am EST is the saddest, loneliest degen times 😥

The other day we were talking during degen hours about (rip) gorlab. Can we still call it degen hours with him gone? It's certainly less lively without him, and who knows if he trademarked the term "degen hours". If anyone is at Fuddruckers in Saskatoon and accidentally catches a parking lot fade, please ask him if he trademarked degen hours for me.

Anyways, the timezone change wasn't as bad for my VHL activity. I've barely seen my family since I left, but let's be real, y'all are my real family now 🥰

I should really facetime my mom

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, bigAL said:

My new bff Beketov wakes up at a too-early-in-EST time

Probably helps that I’m in Atlantic time which is 1 hour closer to you than EST, mind you I still wake up at 6am so…

7 hours ago, Beketov said:

Probably helps that I’m in Atlantic time which is 1 hour closer to you than EST, mind you I still wake up at 6am so…

It’s great. I’m exceptionally bad at mornings, and have never consistently woken up for work before like 715. Big props to anyone that can (and bigger props to any employer who values employee sleep schedules and starts later)

**he says at 730am on a Saturday 🤦‍♂️