S79 Deadline Suggestion Drive

Beketov

1. Going off of what @Alex_J32said in his posts #3, I agree that the VHLM fantasy should open up to everyone. This way the VHLM isn't overlooked and it gives VHL players a reason to pay attention to it. Also with recreates happening soon it will give those players a chance to see who they would like to play for. Maybe it would even lead them to see what roster they think would work best for their new player and fill a need on that team.

2. An all star game or preseason. Something to reward players who put the work in. Maybe for the preseason games the GMs would have to "Schedule" it with other GMs. That way you have more chatter between GMs and they get to test lines and strategies before the season begins. What once worked in the previous season might not work in the current season and by the time the sims are done on day 1 you might already be below .500. 

3. An option to hide the top earners for the week on the portal page. It's going to be a VHLM player every week. What's the point? In it's place have a player highlight. Just pick a random active player and show off their stats.

1. create a draft prediction thing like the efl does

2. color code the TPA on the portal for players, so like higher TPA players have brighter or more vibrant colors compared to lower TPA players. might motivate some guys to earn more.

3. have jersey numbers shown in the portal and have teams assign jersey numbers to players.

1. Trading cards - a fun way to keep people engaged, set up a trading system for em or so. ISFL can be looked at as an example

2. An actual good organised podcast like the pajodcast was, that people actually loved to listen , jump in and respons to questions.

3. Perhaps some community event, playing fun stuff together? Jackbox or however its called comes in mind

So many ideas already posted here and all great. I will reinforce my opinion in sims that I agree with.

1. Highlighting Players

There are a lot of members in this league and I agree with those who think doing a weekly player highlight is a good idea. You could do a highlight that showcases someone who is doing statically well in the VHL/E/M. You also do one specifically about a member and their contribution to the site or their earning ability for the week. It may encourage welfare earners to stop earning welfare. Could even add 2 Capped TPE for whomever wins each week. 

2. STHS

It’s fairly obvious that STHS has its “quirks.” There’s really only one successful meta for building players. Anytime you try something different your player experiences no success. Constantly upgrading the core four attributes with every player you make will get boring over time and deter members from sticking around. The results the engine spits out are very inconsistent at times and it seems to punish those who’ve put the work in to create a true contending team. I know we can not change STHS but is it possible to get in contact with the creator and put in our suggestions to have the game updated? Or maybe we can look at other potential sim engines to experiment with?

3. League support for forum games/tournaments

There are a lot of forum games and tournaments that are set up every season. We have a seasonal chess tournament, Town of Salem games, graphic tourneys, etc. It would be nice to have these supported by the league and advertised to bring light and excitement to these fun events. They don’t have to be hosted by the league as league members already do that. Something as simple as putting up a quick banner announcing an upcoming tourney/game or a league post similar to this one tagging all members about an upcoming tournament. Would potentially get more eyes on these events and create further forum engagement as well.

1. Speaking of the Trade Deadline, One thing I would love to see is trade deadline day have a sceptical like draft day! Have a live stream or something where all the GMs are in a chat room together and have a show cover the instant trade analysis and player reaction! Make it more of a huge day for everyone league wide! 

2. This may have been already mentioned but a All Star weekend! This would be super fun idea and much like the World Cup etc it would only help interest more players and make them feel like all their hard work is paying off in more ways then one. Can have them in the E and M as well!

3. More Jobs in the management side to make it feel more complete! Maybe unnecessary but in this fun world maybe have scouts or coaches. Or even more team logos!! Each team have secondary logos and or third jerseys! 

7 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

I know we can not change STHS but is it possible to get in contact with the creator and put in our suggestions to have the game updated? 

If I remember the talks I've had about this correctly, we have tried to do this, but ol' Simon isn't too cooperative to do this. 

Just now, Mr_Hatter said:

If I remember the talks I've had about this correctly, we have tried to do this, but ol' Simon isn't too cooperative to do this. 

Simon needs a predecessor to pass the torch on to then 😂

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Ahma said:

1. Add the real index link to the top of the forum, right next to portal link would be a fitting place. I find it annoying having to navigate to portal, from there to index and current/history. It should be a simple link that takes you there with one click.

Since this was easy I just did it.

Glad we're doing this, tons of creative options to choose from. Banger of an idea

First of all, I really like the idea of a weekly jackbox game for the league, and it's been mentioned before so it's not gonna count.

1. One thing I haven't seen yet here but is something that really bothers me is, near the bottom of the forum main page, the VHL team logos and GM names. First of all, I'm willing to bet no one uses those links to look at rosters, because the portal is so much more efficient and better looking. What I would like to see happen is the current blocks that contain each team be made smaller, and VHLE and VHLM teams, along with GM names, get added into the extra space. That way, it makes more sense to newer members. However, I've been on the SHL site, and their version of this goes on forever. So, I repeat, more teams but smaller blocks.

2. A month or two ago, I ran an I-spy-with-my-little-eye challenge and despite no planning, it garnered more than 10 people, on the spot. So I would for sure like to do that again, and encourage more people to run little games on the forum like that, whether it be finish the sentence or whatever. It's a cool idea and it gets the forum juices flowing. Also, before I forget, we need more marbles on twitch. Like, bi-weekly marbles with birb. Or someone else. But marbles.

3. My last point sort of builds off my previous point; an official VHL calendar. Maybe it's a link to a virtual calendar that everyone can access or it's an updated screenshot, but going back to the offseason schedule over and over again is annoying. So it would contain all the important dates such as theme week, drafts, free agency, and such, but also the smaller games and jackbox and stuff that people want to run. So if someone has a free night, they can open up the VHL calendar and see if there's anything to do that night. 

1. For whenever a player "wins a day" 1 uncapped tpe (maybe 1 max every week)?

2. Random user article spotlight

3. Official VHL radio? Something for people to listen to recapping games, trades, signing, etc.

Overall I can see the activity being more down due to it being the summer and people being more out and about, but I think some changes could help promote more overall activity.

1. Community Member Spotlight. Similar to what other people brought up regarding mentioned the top 3 players, I think what would be good is to highlight 3 members of the community every once in awhile (whether it's a week, bi-weekly, or a month) for their involvement overall to the VHL community. Whether it's due to excellent suggestions that gain traction, Graphics or Media Spots that garner lots of attention that is popular, or even just people picked by the BoG who they personally think should get a shoutout.
  2. More Community Activities. Having more things like the seasonal Theme Week would be a nice touch, as I know there's a lot of stuff done around major holidays like Christmas from what I've seen since I joined, but having more seasonal/occasional VHL-wide activities that aren't mandatory but gives tiny bonuses for your activity/involvement in them is something I really like. You see how much the community comes alive for the Theme Week every time it comes around with all the Point Tasks that get submitted, and I think more of things like that would be great. Whether it's for TPE or for a tiny prize for the top submission, I'm sure it can be something relatively easy to be implemented. Maybe like a "End of Season Recap" at the end of the season discussing the season or "Player Hype" before the season starts for people to hype their own player up. Something that gets the whole community involved in a non-mandatory but incentivized way.
  3. Customization. Other people have brought it up, but I'd like to see more customization of sorts for players, whether it's jersey numbers or maybe store-bought purchases for relatively low amounts for player page's on the portal like backgrounds (not personalized because dear lord knows what some people would do if they had their own hand at customization) or colourings of sorts. Something for people who really like the player part of the VHL rather than the community part.
  4. @rory to become Lord Supreme Commander of the VHL.

1. More options for tpe, yes we have a lot currently but i feel as if we had more options for the players that can’t always make a graphic or do a media spot, we could come up with some extra ways to earn tpe as a community. 
2. i love the idea of mid season tournaments that we can earn a small amount of tpe based off performance of the player and the team. I feel like this could be a good opportunity to get new people familiar with jobs and maybe even simmers! 
3. more player customization, jersey numbers, we could definitely figure out something in depth as the community. I feel like this would draw in more active users because people like to customize themselves :) 

1. Find a way to bring ''general discord'' feel into to the forum. Start a topic where people post whatever. Perhaps that will turn into other threads being created for various topics as people notice they have some common interests. ( Maybe suggested already, I don't know, just a random thought to get more people chatting on the forum)

2.  Hall of Shame. Once a season or once every two seasons,  the community suggests ''something'' that is added in there. Could be a terrible trade. Bad draft pick. Favorite losing to a underdog. Terrible comment on topic x, etc, etc.  Save the history and also, let us laugh at something once more.

3. When one user claims welfare the league puts 0.01 TPE into a pot. Once per season a lottery takes place, one lucky user can win who knows how much TPE from the ''welfare pot''.

1. Practice Facility should act as an "activity check", and instead of being a button you click on the portal, you should have to comment on a sim thread per week or something. This has been said in discord before, maybe in a Gus article, not too sure. Or maybe just add a "sim attendance" like some other leagues have, for everyone who comments on the thread in a certain amount of time. 

2. Not sure if it is possible on the forum host we have, but achievements under each members name would be cool, like SHL has. "S78 Continental Cup, etc etc." I guess it wouldn't really improve forum activity, however it would still give members something to strive for beyond their name on a page on the portal. 

3. An UPDATED video tutorial on how to get started in the VHL. I didn't stay in SHL, however for the 2 days I was there, the starter video really helped and made me realize how useful one can be for new members. I think too many members are coming to the site, getting a bunch of VHLM offers, and not much beyond that. I guarantee you a video would increase retention and maybe even get some Welfare+PF new members to go beyond that.

4. Bring all-star games back, doesn't have to be in EA NHL, at the very least announce the teams :P

Really love some of the ideas coming from everyone. Some really great suggestions including the enhanced player page, live sims, more stats, and highlighting players/members on a periodic basis.

Here's mine:

1) Change Update Scale - I've written about this before, but the fact that many people can get 99 in multiple attribute categories is ridiculous. Make the scale drastically different. My suggestion is to make each point above 70 cost 1 TPE more. So going from 70 to 71 costs 1 TPE, going from 71 to 72 costs 2 TPE, 74 to 75 costs 5 TPE. 79 to 80 costs 10 TPE. 94 to 95 costs 25 TPE. This would not only prevent people from having a ton of 90+ attributes, but it would also alleviate the problem of top earners steam-rolling everyone else, because at the top end it would cost 100+ TPE just to be 4 or 5 attribute points higher. This would keep overall attributes closer together, while allowing high earners to still be somewhat better than others. Players would need to make more difficult decisions on how they build their player because they can't have it all like they currently have. Also maybe start everyone with all attributes at 50. 

2) Reward new players with tons of TPE - I think we should be encouraging new players to hop on the forums and contribute by giving anyone in the VHLM Triple TPE for all tasks (or maybe just point tasks). To prevent TPE inflation the tripling stops at 200 TPE (which should also be when they are automatically moved into the VHLE). TPE is the best motivator we have for new people, so let's reward them for their contribution! And maybe double TPE for VHLE members under 300 TPE. Maybe give people more TPE to spend when creating a player (50 instead of 30)

3) More "Official" Articles (VSN?) - A previous idea that I suggested for increased content was to require GMs to create weekly content for their team. That got stomped down pretty hard by most people. A new suggestion is to have more VSN writers who get paid more (maybe something above the weekly cap, like 14 TPE a week, to really incentivize it) and have these new writers be like beat writers for a team(s). Where they write an article about a specific team(s). Or you could make an article like that be available for anyone to write for uncapped TPE. Have it follow a specific format of game summaries, top players from the team, something like that. 

1. More things in the Player Store! More ways to just purchase straight up TPE? Don't limit the double weeks you can purchase so much? I honesty don't have a lot of ideas lol, I'd just like to see some change.

2. All Star Game, but pay me to do it 😁

I've previously done this ASG, but my problem with it is that its an all day type of of job when using NHL. Takes a good 8 hours to create all the players and make decent jerseys. Another issue is that no one was watching it. Had an average of 5 viewers. Idk if just an @everyone is needed but we need more people engaged in the ASG if we want to run it. I loved doing it, just don't love it enough to do it for nothing at this point.

3. I know this has been said already but more events! A dedicated Discord night where we all hang out in community? Events on the forums? I really enjoyed the Christmas thing we did last year or year before I can't remember where we had to look for a Picture of the Commish somewhere on the forums. So a bunch of little games on the forums and Discord could be fun.

43 minutes ago, Tate said:

Bring back Beaviss to recruitment, and refresh the team. It's not to say Cow isn't trying but when Beaviss was in recruitment it was all about quantity, and a constant influx of new members. A lot don't stay but quite a bit do. Recruitment and marketing is the key to gaining fresh blood. 

I just want to comment on this. The reason Beaviss did so well is because of Reddit, which we are now banned from Advertising on. Its pretty easy for to just DM a ton of mods on Reddit and ask to do an Ad. That is no longer an option. Making my job much harder.

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Tate said:

Don't take it personal and don't downgrade the impact Beaviss had

I don’t think anyone is downgrading the impact he had but I can see where Cow is coming from as it basically comes off as “anyone not Beaviss can’t do the job” when he had avenues available to him that got burnt. Also “bringing back” someone who doesn’t want to be here isn’t as simple as it sounds.

1. I came to VHLfrom PBE, and while there are some things I like better about VHL (the website and updating), the big advantage that PBE has is having a graphical sim where everyone can get together and "watch" a lot of the games on Twitch. I know that STHS has no such option, but maybe once or twice per week have a "featured" game that is simmed line-by-line, shift-by-shift or however it works in STHS to make viewing the sim a bit more of a spectacle.

2. If there are good "league news" articles that talk about the standings, current performances, stuff like that, without being specifically about a user or team, have them highlighted on the website. Sort of a "sportscenter" of the VHL.

3. Stuff like this right here, this suggestion thread. I am by no means a max earner, and it is a rare week lately that I do every single available task, but whenever an unusual one-off task like this one comes around, I always participate. I'm not entirely certain why, but it does squeeze a little bit more activity out of me.

• Commissioner
6 minutes ago, Eso said:

maybe once or twice per week have a "featured" game that is simmed line-by-line, shift-by-shift or however it works in STHS to make viewing the sim a bit more of a spectacle.

How we have it sadly is how it works. There’s a PbP breakdown at the bottom of the thread but ultimately when it’s simming there is nothing you can really show except the final score. You just press the button and it does the whole game.

1. Award votes should be done via a newly (re)formed award committee. Read article here https://vhlforum.com/topic/100576-time-for-a-change-in-award-voting/. At the very least I think votes should be public and/or voters should have to write a short blurb about why they voted for whomever (can be anonymous idc, i just want the b*g to write HIGH HITS 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩)

2. More VSN writers - am i crazy or has their only been 3 VSN articles in August? When I joined they had VHL + VHLM weekly posts, highlighting players who had a good week and a rookie showcase, it was very cool. where that go? pay VSN writers more if nobody is doing it.

3. All Star "game". the game always sucked so either actually give a fuck about it and have someone provide commentary to the game and have shit happen during the intermissions (actually make the ASG an event), or just bring back the voting because that was fun. Who cares if teams don't get simmed, I just want to recognize people for having good seasons. Also tf happened to the commissioner's cup? ASG for minors that just got axed with no warning??

4. make the vhlm about retention instead of sad tryouts for majors jobs:kekw: :kekw: :kekw: :kekw: :kekw:

1. Bring back the all-star game.

Doesn't have to be live streamed on NHL, though it was a fun party and would make it more interesting than if it was just simmed on STHS. I get that the issue was that it takes a lot of time to setup on NHL, but you could honestly make that a job. Give someone two full free weeks to setup the voting threads or whatever other way we'd pick the players and have them stream it with commentary on Twitch. Party.

2. Kill the Wylde Trophy.

Every offseason, it's the same effin thing over and over. Voters don't agree on what we should compare players on and then everyone is mad at who we picked as the winner. Our options are so limited with STHS stats that some think points and +/- should be used, which is absolutely ridiculous. Hits is always a hot topic, but it's literally of only two defensive stats we have (along with shots blocked, obviously.) So, if we can't even reliably pick who's good defensively because of what information the sim provides for us, why are we even bothering? Kill it and stop the madness.

3. Create Game Host jobs.

I've seen some people talk about game nights on Discord and stuff like that and I agree that it could be fun. I'm gonna take it up a notch, and mix it with something that has been said a lot around the league: we don't have many low involvement jobs for people that want to get started in the league. Pretty much the only ones I can think of right now are like WJC GM spots and AGM spots, but even then, they don't pay much and they pretty much only give you experience for GM spots. What about a job to host weekly or bi-weekly games? Pay them 2 TPE or something everytime they host one. I'm sure the community would appreciate these in general. Could be Jackbox, Trivia nights, whatever.

1. For people like me that are dinosaurs and/or boomers when it comes to Discord servers, could we get a tech squad person/role that can assist with stuff like setting up bots or channels?

2. Bring back jersey numbers and more customized profile options for players. Help bring back team Hall of Fames, so to speak. 

3. Bring back the VHL All-Star Game, whether it's on STHS or NHL 21/22.