Official Reading/Book Thread

frescoelmo

On 11/2/2021 at 11:01 AM, fishy said:

image.pngimage.png

sigh, I love local libraries but I think I want to read the same books as everyone else

I'm just glad to see that your local library is being used.

I finished Dune last week in time to see the movie. Loved the film, can’t believe it stopped when it did. Has anyone continued with the series, and would you recommend it? I’ve heard mixed things about the next book, I don’t know if I’m ready to see Paul continue down that path. 

1 hour ago, bigAL said:

I finished Dune last week in time to see the movie. Loved the film, can’t believe it stopped when it did. Has anyone continued with the series, and would you recommend it? I’ve heard mixed things about the next book, I don’t know if I’m ready to see Paul continue down that path. 

I've read all the Dune books by Frank Herbert. I highly suggest reading all the Dune books written by him.

10 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

I'm just glad to see that your local library is being used.

Yeah, it's most definitely a net positive thing to see that, in every branch across the network, the copies of a book I want to read are checked out. It's fantastic to know that people are taking advantage of local libraries.

But also, selfishly, quit taking the shit I want to read

I recently found an app called Libby that my library websites were advertising. It gives you access to online books available from a library, and all you need is a library card. If you can handle ebooks (I don't know if it's available anywhere other than the US) and have a library card, I'd definitely recommend checking it out!

Just now, fishy said:

Yeah, it's most definitely a net positive thing to see that, in every branch across the network, the copies of a book I want to read are checked out. It's fantastic to know that people are taking advantage of local libraries.

I recently found an app called Libby that my library websites were advertising. It gives you access to online books available from a library, and all you need is a library card. If you can handle ebooks (I don't know if it's available anywhere other than the US) and have a library card, I'd definitely recommend checking it out!

My local library started this like...10 years ago maybe, but it was through their own website and it took forever to figure out. I think I used it once and thought it was cool, but just not worth the time. I'd imagine that's a lot better these days what with the app and everything.

Something that really impresses me--and it sounds like your network does the same thing--is that I can put a book on hold at my own library even if they don't have it. If it's at any library in the entire system, they'll have it shipped here. Also not something I've done a lot because it just makes me feel selfish but it's a nice thing to have.

7 minutes ago, fishy said:

Yeah! My library used to use Libby and then switched to CloudLibrary. Same same but different. It's still a "library", and at first it pissed me off that you still had to wait your turn to get a non-physical book, but that's fine. Now I do a combo public-service/pirating where I borrow an ebook from the library, rip the DRM off it, and return it. Win win - they hit their numbers and I can read it for more than two weeks!

8 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

Something that really impresses me--and it sounds like your network does the same thing--is that I can put a book on hold at my own library even if they don't have it. If it's at any library in the entire system, they'll have it shipped here. Also not something I've done a lot because it just makes me feel selfish but it's a nice thing to have.

yeah! i realized this was possible while i was at school, which is a little different, but it's still really cool. i love accessibility

6 minutes ago, bigAL said:

pissed me off that you still had to wait your turn to get a non-physical book,

this annoys me so much because i don't understand why that's the way it is. just... copy the file and send it to a bunch of people ..... idk .....

i also found a site that has damn near every book known to man available as a PDF, but i've tried to stop using it since i left college. a lot of books are available through one of the two libraries i have cards with, and there's really no reason (other than convenience) to be finding them illegally. i feel a little guilty doing it anymore since i have so much available, but if i want to read a book that i can't find at a library, i know it's there

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 3:58 PM, fishy said:

this annoys me so much because i don't understand why that's the way it is. just... copy the file and send it to a bunch of people ..... idk .....

It's got to do with patent law. Another example that had people up in arms because of the same principle happened on YouTube a while back, with a car guy who was making a Mustang "Eleanor Spec". To car guys it's just a car. But legally it's a movie character from the car movie "Gone in 60 Seconds", which means it's intellectual property. Which means that they have to defend that patent or their inaction will be used in court against them, if they ever have some larger corporate entity try and steal their IP. So they had to impound his car and force him to take down all his videos. Because if they didn't and another studio put a "Eleanor" in their movie. They would have a very real chance of losing that case once the defense turns the case into "You're not protecting your IP. You're protecting your IP from US, specifically".

Applying the same principle to books. They are intellectual property. The library owns the right to x amount of those books, and x amounts only. If they start copying it and giving out said copies, they would be forced to destroy those copies and likely forfeit their existing legal copies. Not because the publisher wants them to destroy them etc. But because they have to force them to do so, to protect their future selves legally. Counterpoint being that they should just give libraries more copies. But we all know some industrious soul would find a way to abuse that. Which is likely why they keep # of copies to a minimum.

I'm not a patent lawyer, but that is my best understanding of how it works. It's still really stupid, but at least there is a logical explanation.

4 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

It's got to do with patent law. Another example that had people up in arms because of the same principle happened on YouTube a while back, with a car guy who was making a Mustang "Eleanor Spec". To car guys it's just a car. But legally it's a movie character from the car movie "Gone in 60 Seconds", which means it's intellectual property. Which means that they have to defend that patent or their inaction will be used in court against them, if they ever have some larger corporate entity try and steal their IP. So they had to impound his car and force him to take down all his videos. Because if they didn't and another studio put a "Eleanor" in their movie. They would have a very real chance of losing that case once the defense turns the case into "You're not protecting your IP. You're protecting your IP from US, specifically".

Applying the same principle to books. They are intellectual property. The library owns the right to x amount of those books, and x amounts only. If they start copying it and giving out said copies, they would be forced to destroy those copies and likely forfeit their existing legal copies. Not because the publisher wants them to destroy them etc. But because they have to force them to do so, to protect their future selves legally. Counterpoint being that they should just give libraries more copies. But we all know some industrious soul would find a way to abuse that. Which is likely why they keep # of copies to a minimum.

I'm not a patent lawyer, but that is my best understanding of how it works. It's still really stupid, but at least there is a logical explanation.

Wow, thank you so much for this response!! So creating more digital copies is basically the same as just printing more physical copies of a book that you don't own. Makes sense!

Just now, fishy said:

Wow, thank you so much for this response!! So creating more digital copies is basically the same as just printing more physical copies of a book that you don't own. Makes sense!

I mean logically you're not doing that. But legally, yeah it's the same. But you're an individual. Not a corporate entity. So what you do to their poor, poor ebooks behind locked doors doesn't actually hurt their ability to protect their IP. Do with that what you will.

1 minute ago, Shindigs said:

I mean logically you're not doing that. But legally, yeah it's the same. But you're an individual. Not a corporate entity. So what you do to their poor, poor ebooks behind locked doors doesn't actually hurt their ability to protect their IP. Do with that what you will.

It feels kind of like grey territory because of the fact that stealing (basically) those electronic copies hurts not only the companies, but also the authors that worked really hard on their work. It's like belief that stealing from chain corporations is fine, but stealing from small businesses makes you a piece of shit. Finding electronic copies of a book feels like I'm doing both at the same time

Just now, fishy said:

It feels kind of like grey territory because of the fact that stealing (basically) those electronic copies hurts not only the companies, but also the authors that worked really hard on their work. It's like belief that stealing from chain corporations is fine, but stealing from small businesses makes you a piece of shit. Finding electronic copies of a book feels like I'm doing both at the same time

Yeah, but my counterargument would be this: You were going to borrow it from a library yes? I'm not super savvy on how library royalties work/if they even exist. In Sweden I think they don't, but I could be wrong. So basically if you were going to borrow the book. But instead got a non-legal copy of the same book. You never were a paying customer. So they didn't actually lose any income from you not buying it. Because you were never going to buy it, right?

That being said, if you really like a book. Even one you were only going to borrow from the library. Depending on their individual setup some authors may have options for crowdfunding sites/etc. Never hurts to show you appreciate good work at a place like that.

Back in the days when pirating wasn't actually illegal in Sweden. My rule of thumb was to treat pirated games like demos. If I liked it I bought it. If it was garbage (usually the case) I'd uninstall after what would have been the demo period in the olden days. If you want to support the author but you can't get your hands on a legal copy as easily as a pirated one. So long as what you care about is the moral side, not the legal side. Just get the copy and find a way to make it worth it for the author. Sadly in a lot of cases that just isn't possible, since the industry isn't really up to speed on crowdfunding. At least not usually.

Currently reading The Wheel of Time series for the first time - currently in the prologue of Book 10 - Crossroads of Twilight.

First new series I started reading in a long, long time. Tried to get @WentzKneeFan036but I don't know if he even got through 75 pages of the first book. 

On 12/2/2021 at 3:21 AM, Fire Vigneault said:

Currently reading The Wheel of Time series for the first time - currently in the prologue of Book 10 - Crossroads of Twilight.

First new series I started reading in a long, long time. Tried to get @WentzKneeFan036but I don't know if he even got through 75 pages of the first book. 

When did you start it? I’ve wanted to reread this series for awhile but it’s such a commitment 

i'm looking for a recommendation

i just finished priory of the orange tree (so fucking good, i messaged boot about it because it seemed like something he would enjoy but never posted about it here), and i don't know what to read next.

i'm looking for something (stand alone or series) that's a similar kind of fantasy. preferable that the whole world is created by the author (i.e., not fantasy in a real-world place). i like magic shit and creatures. bonus points if there's queer representation. i also dig science fiction that's not trying to directly comment on the current world

Edited by fishy

Currently reading

Death's End by Liu Cixin (translated by Ken Liu) - Third book of the Rememberance of Earth's Past (akaThree-Body Problem) trilogy. I'm enjoying it so far, it's a slightly different format to the first two, which I kind of enjoy to be honest since there are chapters interspersed from a different perspective that provides more context for what you're reading. There are some parts that can feel a little awkward but I think a part of that comes from the fact that it's translated from Chinese to English. All in all it's a really interest approach to sci-fi that I like a lot.

Last three (or four?) books read

The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin (translated by Joel Martinsen) - Second book. I think this is my favorite of the series thus far? Not sure though. Goes in a really interesting direction from on  the first novel ends up. Some parts can feel a bit odd but at the same time I think there's a good combination of plot intrigue and new concepts introduced in a way that isn't quite as clunky as the first book.

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin (translated by Ken Liu) - Beginning of the series. I enjoyed this one too, but it's a mixed bag in some parts. I really enjoy the historical aspect of this novel, as it partially takes place during the Cultural Revolution in China and also includes a lot of footnotes which describe the aspects of Chinese culture/history that are brought up without explanation in the original book. But at the same time there's a lot of more detailed scientific parts that can feel a bit dry as I don't think I've read hard sci-fi before. But obviously it still kept me interested enough to keep reading.

Dune: Messiah by Frank Herbert - I believe this was the last book I read before that? I really enjoyed what I've read of the Dune series. I unfortunately fell off from it after starting Children of Dune (the one right after this) but this one I enjoy quite a bit. I really, really like the twist that this adds to the plot of the original Dune. I'm hesitant to discuss any of it for the sake anyone who may be considering reading the books and doesn't want to be spoiled, but I will just say that I honestly hope this is adapted as part three of the movie series because I think it's really important to the intent/themes of the books.

The only other book that I believe I could've read third was Black Skin, White Masks by Frantz Fanon, but I believe I read Messiah after it? I legitimately cannot remember, it's been months. Kinda fell off of reading for a bit there. Either way this is a really important and interesting book that I read a part of for a philosophy class in college, and is takes a good look at racism and colonialism from a philosophical and psychological perspective.

Up next

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky - Was browsing the library after grabbing Death's End and picked this up on a whim since the description seemed interesting. Check back with me in a month and I'll let you know if I actually read it or not lol.

Edited by solas

23 minutes ago, solas said:

Dune: Messiah by Frank Herbert - I believe this was the last book I read before that? I really enjoyed what I've read of the Dune series. I unfortunately fell off from it after starting Children of Dune (the one right after this) but this one I enjoy quite a bit. I really, really like the twist that this adds to the plot of the original Dune. I'm hesitant to discuss any of it for the sake anyone who may be considering reading the books and doesn't want to be spoiled, but I will just say that I honestly hope this is adapted as part three of the movie series because I think it's really important to the intent/themes of the books.

I read the first one maybe 4-5 years ago and found it a bit hard to understand--did you have that experience or was I just not paying attention to it? It's something I want to like because a lot of people I know really love and respect it but the one time I looked at it I didn't really get it.

44 minutes ago, fishy said:

i'm looking for a recommendation

i just finished priory of the orange tree (so fucking good, i messaged boot about it because it seemed like something he would enjoy but never posted about it here), and i don't know what to read next.

i'm looking for something (stand alone or series) that's a similar kind of fantasy. preferable that the whole world is created by the author (i.e., not fantasy in a real-world place). i like magic shit and creatures. bonus points if there's queer representation. i also dig science fiction that's not trying to directly comment on the current world

Check out The Lightbringer Series by Brent Weeks. He's one of my favourite authors and while his writing suffers a bit from deus ex machina, he's one of the best for creating his worlds and the magic system in this series is second to none imo. It's 5 books so a bit of a commitment but I'm confident you'd like it and fly through it. It's also complete so no waiting for new books. 

30 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

I read the first one maybe 4-5 years ago and found it a bit hard to understand--did you have that experience or was I just not paying attention to it? It's something I want to like because a lot of people I know really love and respect it but the one time I looked at it I didn't really get it.

From my memory, I recall it took a little bit to pick up since there’s a lot of lore/background information being brought in fairly quickly (at least this is what I remember, I could be wrong). Was that your problem? Once I got a grasp on the background it was a bit easier for me, I think.

Although it’s fine if you just didn’t like it, haha.

Edited by solas

19 minutes ago, solas said:

From my memory, I recall it took a little bit to pick up since there’s a lot of lore/background information being brought in fairly quickly (at least this is what I remember, I could be wrong). Was that your problem? Once I got a grasp on the background it was a bit easier for me, I think.

Although it’s fine if you just didn’t like it, haha.

I don't really remember what my specific problem is, but something I'm well aware I do wrong in general is just read over a thing once, assume I get it, and move on.

I just remember having a good chunk of the book read and being like "what the hell is going on" every time a new name or word was introduced.

3 hours ago, solas said:

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin (translated by Ken Liu) - Beginning of the series. I enjoyed this one too, but it's a mixed bag in some parts. I really enjoy the historical aspect of this novel, as it partially takes place during the Cultural Revolution in China and also includes a lot of footnotes which describe the aspects of Chinese culture/history that are brought up without explanation in the original book. But at the same time there's a lot of more detailed scientific parts that can feel a bit dry as I don't think I've read hard sci-fi before. But obviously it still kept me interested enough to keep reading.

I tried to read to this book, but couldn't get into it, heard a lot of good about it though. The style of writing and the words used just threw me off. It felt like a light novel written by a kid how it was written.

3 hours ago, solas said:

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky - Was browsing the library after grabbing Death's End and picked this up on a whim since the description seemed interesting. Check back with me in a month and I'll let you know if I actually read it or not lol.

Dostojevski is so fucking good! ah.

Looking for recommendations 

Having trouble getting into reading constantly need to read a good sized book for school and it’s a good 20% of my semester grade. So my gpa can rise and drop depending on it, I like all genres just having trouble not getting hooked and getting bored.