Official Reading/Book Thread

frescoelmo

11 hours ago, dasboot said:

When did you start it? I’ve wanted to reread this series for awhile but it’s such a commitment 

Honestly, couldn't tell you, because it's been a while. I want to say it was probably right before covid (so maybe January 2020?)  though now that I'm thinking about it I think I got some of the books for Christmas, so maybe it was before then.

Either way, I go through phases when reading where I'll read a ton before bed, but there were a couple of books that I waited a month or so before starting the next book.

Nice to see I'm not the only seasonal reader. Though for me I do all my reading during the summer. As I loathe tanning, the only way for me to get a tan going is to sit in the backyard in a lawn chair and chain read books in between walks and workout sessions. I legitimately had a "book tan" this summer. A white patch under my chin from looking down at the book and a book shaped white spot on my abdomen. It didn't look ridiculous at all!

8 hours ago, Ahma said:

I tried to read to this book, but couldn't get into it, heard a lot of good about it though. The style of writing and the words used just threw me off. It felt like a light novel written by a kid how it was written.

You get this a lot with books translated by less than stellar translators from languages with different grammatical structure. It's pretty common with Russian => Anything western. So I assume something similar may happen with Chinese => Western. If the translator translate what's written, rather than what is conveyed. Then it will usually look like it was written by a child. Because that's just how Russian grammar is structured. It's also why Russian books become so dense when correctly translated. A 500 page Russian brick translates into a 1500 page Swedish brick, for instance. Usually they get around it by using like font size 6, so you have 1500 pages of words in 500 pages. I read at a very consistent pace and normally finish a 500 page book in 2 days. But Metro 2033 took me over 6 days, despite being 500 pages. Because the text is for ants.

Tonnes of really good recommendations that I'll want to check out next summer ITT btw. So thanks everyone!

11 hours ago, fishy said:

i also dig science fiction that's not trying to directly comment on the current world

Wait, those exist? Think every single sci-fi work I've ever read has had some really obnoxious commentary on today's society in it. Any good examples that break the mold? Would love to check some of them out.

On 11/11/2021 at 9:29 AM, Ahma said:

Read the Culture series by Iain M Banks. Do yourself a favor and read them all. !!

the best scifi series. want to read great scifi? I high highly recommend the Culture series

11 hours ago, Ahma said:

I tried to read to this book, but couldn't get into it, heard a lot of good about it though. The style of writing and the words used just threw me off. It felt like a light novel written by a kid how it was written.

I think that's fair, honestly. I got a bit of that impression when I was first reading it but I think maybe that's just because the translation was a bit awkward. IMO it got better as it went on.

3 hours ago, Shindigs said:

Wait, those exist? Think every single sci-fi work I've ever read has had some really obnoxious commentary on today's society in it. Any good examples that break the mold? Would love to check some of them out.

tbf i think it's difficult to write science fiction without a commentary to some extent, but i agree, the obnoxious, annoying "I'M MAKING A POINT, DON'T YOU SEE IT?" gets old so quickly

i read Persephone Station by Stina Leicht, and i didn't get the vibe that the author was trying to pummel her thoughts into her readers. that's not to say that nothing in the book doesn't make you think, "oh, that's kinda interesting with respect to X," but it wasn't aggressive

1 minute ago, fishy said:

tbf i think it's difficult to write science fiction without a commentary to some extent, but i agree, the obnoxious, annoying "I'M MAKING A POINT, DON'T YOU SEE IT?" gets old so quickly

i read Persephone Station by Stina Leicht, and i didn't get the vibe that the author was trying to pummel her thoughts into her readers. that's not to say that nothing in the book doesn't make you think, "oh, that's kinda interesting with respect to X," but it wasn't aggressive

That's kind of what you want though, those more understated interesting thoughts on today's society. But when they take out the big hammer and try and force it down your throat, it does indeed get old so quickly. Not to mention it's pretty insulting when they overdo it to that point. It's basically like saying "I know you're just a silly non-author, so let me explain it like you're 5". Which sucks about as much as the "twist endings" that get spoiled by the author around 3/4 into the book. Then they spend 150 pages slowly an meticulously explaining the twist, to make sure you got it, until you just want to throw the book at someone (preferably the author). That last part happens so much in Swedish criminal dramas it's basically part of the genre at this point.

Thanks for the book suggestion though. It's going on the quickly growing list.

12 hours ago, Nothing but goals said:

Looking for recommendations 

Having trouble getting into reading constantly need to read a good sized book for school and it’s a good 20% of my semester grade. So my gpa can rise and drop depending on it, I like all genres just having trouble not getting hooked and getting bored.

are you looking for a book recommendation or figuring out how to stay engaged/focused while you read?

you said you liked all genres, but the fact that you get bored makes me think that maybe you don't? are you interested more in fiction or non-fiction? do you like reading about things that could happen in real life or fantasy, things completely made up? for non-fiction, what do you enjoy learning about? people? events? any specific topics, like sports?

2 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

But when they take out the big hammer and try and force it down your throat, it does indeed get old so quickly. Not to mention it's pretty insulting when they overdo it to that point.

this was the main issue i had when reading YA novels as an adult. those authors are writing for, like, 15 year olds who are forming opinions and perspective, so they have to be a bit more blunt and repeat things to get the point across

3 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

Then they spend 150 pages slowly an meticulously explaining the twist, to make sure you got it, until you just want to throw the book at someone (preferably the author).

that, OR they spend one page on the climax, and you're like... i just read like 400 pages leading up to a one-page moment? are you joking?

Just now, fishy said:

that, OR they spend one page on the climax, and you're like... i just read like 400 pages leading up to a one-page moment? are you joking?

Then they proceed to end the book in about 5 pages, when there was at least 50 more pages required for closure. Like did your deadline run out, or what? I get when TV shows do it, hoping to cliffhanger for a new season. But doing it in a book is just so bad imo.

2 minutes ago, fishy said:

are you looking for a book recommendation or figuring out how to stay engaged/focused while you read?

you said you liked all genres, but the fact that you get bored makes me think that maybe you don't? are you interested more in fiction or non-fiction? do you like reading about things that could happen in real life or fantasy, things completely made up? for non-fiction, what do you enjoy learning about? people? events? any specific topics, like sports?

I guess I do have types though. When it comes to fiction I mainly read sci-fi when it comes to non fictions it’s generally something about word war two or one or sports. I guess the problem of not getting hooked on a book is because I’m constantly distracted so it might be more of a personal problem.

Just now, Nothing but goals said:

I guess the problem of not getting hooked on a book is because I’m constantly distracted so it might be more of a personal problem.

other folks may be able to help you find books that align with your interests... i don't have enough pleasure reading under my belt to give good recs in that department

as for staying focused, i found that i really benefited from listening to the audiobook while i read to engage another sense. holding a physical copy of the book, looking at the words, and hearing someone else read the words is getting at 3/5 senses, and it really helped me stay focused with readings... especially the ones i don't want to read

a lot of local libraries have audiobooks available somewhere online!

34 minutes ago, Nothing but goals said:

comes to non fictions it’s generally something about word war two or one

these are fiction books but:

All the light we cannot see - I haven't actually finished this (only 50 pages in) but heard it's good

The Book Thief - read this one in school. I liked it but people in my class found it boring so.

45 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

these are fiction books but:

All the light we cannot see - I haven't actually finished this (only 50 pages in) but heard it's good

The Book Thief - read this one in school. I liked it but people in my class found it boring so.

I’ll give both of them a shot! Thanks for the recommendations!

3 hours ago, Nothing but goals said:

I guess I do have types though. When it comes to fiction I mainly read sci-fi when it comes to non fictions it’s generally something about word war two or one or sports. I guess the problem of not getting hooked on a book is because I’m constantly distracted so it might be more of a personal problem.

Sci-fi: the Enderverse series, especially the Ender quartet. I'm sure you've heard of or read the first one (Ender's Game), but the series just gets better from there.

Non-fiction: The Burning (Tim Madigan). Super heavy read but 100% worth the time.

On 12/1/2021 at 9:00 AM, fishy said:

It feels kind of like grey territory because of the fact that stealing (basically) those electronic copies hurts not only the companies, but also the authors that worked really hard on their work. It's like belief that stealing from chain corporations is fine, but stealing from small businesses makes you a piece of shit. Finding electronic copies of a book feels like I'm doing both at the same time

Welcome to piracy :P

If you need a way to grab some .epub's by... "copying" them from other people, I can help you out.

16 hours ago, Enorama said:

Sci-fi: the Enderverse series, especially the Ender quartet. I'm sure you've heard of or read the first one (Ender's Game), but the series just gets better from there.

Wait, there's more than one? I read the first one and it felt like it pretty much tied everything up that it needed to. So just assumed that was it.

What I would point out as the biggest flaw of the first book, other than using the same exact morale to fuel it's story that just about every sci-fi tends to. Is that the book is written to portray a genius, and a tactical genius at that, by someone who is neither. So to create the separation between Ender and his peers. The writer makes every single other person (except arguably Ender's friends) complete and utter morons. Because it was the only way to create the separation required for the story, while still being able to describe Ender's actions and thoughts. To some this won't matter, to others it will be a dealbreaker. To me it made the entire book feel very naïve. But it was still a fun summer read, despite its shortcomings. It didn't help that I read it back to back with another (slightly better) book that had the exact same morale. So that may have made me harsher on it than it deserved?

Do those same things continue in the rest of the series or is that more of a 1st book only thing @Enorama? As you did say it gets better from there.

42 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

Wait, there's more than one? I read the first one and it felt like it pretty much tied everything up that it needed to. So just assumed that was it.

What I would point out as the biggest flaw of the first book, other than using the same exact morale to fuel it's story that just about every sci-fi tends to. Is that the book is written to portray a genius, and a tactical genius at that, by someone who is neither. So to create the separation between Ender and his peers. The writer makes every single other person (except arguably Ender's friends) complete and utter morons. Because it was the only way to create the separation required for the story, while still being able to describe Ender's actions and thoughts. To some this won't matter, to others it will be a dealbreaker. To me it made the entire book feel very naïve. But it was still a fun summer read, despite its shortcomings. It didn't help that I read it back to back with another (slightly better) book that had the exact same morale. So that may have made me harsher on it than it deserved?

Do those same things continue in the rest of the series or is that more of a 1st book only thing @Enorama? As you did say it gets better from there.

It honestly becomes a much more philosophical series after that. No more action or Ender just being better than everyone else for plot purposes. 

My personal favourite is Speaker for the Dead, the direct sequel to the original.

As a quick summary, I'd say that book 1 is like a teenager while books 2-4 feel like old men. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me though lol. 

There's some crazy amount of books out there all told, and you can pick and choose which little duologies/trilogies/quartets you want to pick up within the greater universe depending on what style you're looking for. 

The biggest knock against those books for me is that the author is, unfortunately, a piece of shit. 

Just now, Enorama said:

It honestly becomes a much more philosophical series after that. No more action or Ender just being better than everyone else for plot purposes. 

My personal favourite is Speaker for the Dead, the direct sequel to the original.

As a quick summary, I'd say that book 1 is like a teenager while books 2-4 feel like old men. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me though lol. 

There's some crazy amount of books out there all told, and you can pick and choose which little duologies/trilogies/quartets you want to pick up within the greater universe depending on what style you're looking for. 

The biggest knock against those books for me is that the author is, unfortunately, a piece of shit. 

I mean that's pretty much an occupational hazard when it comes to authors, in my experience. But yeah, it sounds like the rest of the series might be worth picking up at some point then. Now that I'm a Miami Marauder it means I'm contractually obliged to do pirate stuff, right?

3 hours ago, Shindigs said:

I mean that's pretty much an occupational hazard when it comes to authors, in my experience. But yeah, it sounds like the rest of the series might be worth picking up at some point then. Now that I'm a Miami Marauder it means I'm contractually obliged to do pirate stuff, right?

Just dug this up from a while ago:

Chronology of Enderverse books. Numbers in parentheses are years of first  publication. Novels are in blue a… | Ender's game, Ender's game book, Orson  scott card

Blue are novels, red are short stories. Original publication years in parentheses. Top to bottom is chronological order. Lines denote direct connections between stories.

The first quartet is Ender's Game - Speaker for the Dead - Xenocide - Children of the Mind, in that order.

The worst book i ever read was actually decent right up until the end. I'm only 12, so I still spend most of my time in the either YA or kids section of my local library, so most of the books I read are still for 10-14 year olds. So this book was by James Patterson, one of his kids books, and I think it was called Best Nerds Forever. Awful title, picked it up because of who it was by. Its basically about a kid after he dies after being run off the road climbing up a hill on his  bike off a cliff onto spikes. He goes back around his hometown as a ghost, feeling sorry for his friends and family and blaming himself for his death. He finds a ghost girl who died falling of a cliff running away to her aunt's house at night in the pouring rain through the woods. They avoid each other initially, but grow to become friends, while said dead boy begins to become resentful to the person who ran him off the road. they find out he guns his vehicle up the hill every day and his friends are riding up the hill at the same time he died, so they ghost up the hill and try to warn them, but they find out the guy ahs a rally old car that barely works, and then dead boy like forgives him or something idk. he learns to accept and live with (bad wording) his death and deadness, and then everything is fine and its kinda heartwarming idk. Then, feeling good after reading the book, i turn the page to read the acknowledgements and theres an epilogue.

THE BOY IS FUCKING ALIVE IN A HOSPITAL BED WITH THE DEAD GIRL WHO DIED MONTHS AGO AS AN AIDE OR SOMETHING IN THE BACK OF THE ROOM WITH THE NURSES. IT RUINED THE ENTIRE BOOK. EVERYTHING IT HAD BEEN BUILDING UP TO VANISHED. HE FELL OFF OF A 100 FOOT CLIFF ONTO SPIKES AND HE'S STILL FUCKING ALIVE BECAUSE APPARENTLY NO BOOK CAN BE AT LEAST A LITTLE SAD OR HEARTWARMING

Edited by GrittyIsKing09

I'm currently reading Once a Runner by John L Parker Jr, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Even though hockey is my main sport, I did cross country for the first 'trimester' of sports, and my dad has this huge bookshelf of sports books, so he gave me the best one about running he had after I did well in a race and was enjoying the sport. I'm not too far into it, but it's definitely one of the more adult-oriented books I've ever read, so I find just picking up on some of the linguistics is fascinating. It's also a real neat perspective, I highly recommend it so far.

I dunno how I’ve missed it my whole life, but I’m reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury with my 11th graders now. It’s awesome. There’s so many threads to pull on, but we’re focusing on the question of happiness, technology, and the pace of life. It’s written in the 1950s and so scary accurately predicts our current world. “Are you actually happy”, and “does constant access to technology actually make you happier” are friggin big questions to ask yourself. 

I am a Brandon Sanderson guy with the Stormlight Archive series what I am reading currently sort of as I have been waiting for the new book that I found has been released so now I need to buy and have it sent to Japan at a pretty penny. Worth? Not sure. I know the series as whole has been interesting considering I am not a huge reader.