Official Reading/Book Thread

frescoelmo

https://app.thestorygraph.com/reading_challenges/f03af458-218e-4ea6-b588-42b06017047b

This was shared in a server I'm in, it's a decolonize your bookshelf challenge. I'm not gonna join but I'll definitely be pulling some of the books from the recommendations

Edited by fishy

• 3 weeks later...

sfkWiil.jpg

hi all, i'm trying to clear out my bookshelf and am throwing an offer out here to y'all. if you want any of these books, i'll be happy to send them to you. preference would be to split shipping cost, but i don't need anything for the books themselves. feel free to send me a dm if you're interested. i have most of them because i read them in college, but despite being assigned reading, most of them are actually good reads. they'll otherwise be donated to a thrift store or put into one of the little libraries we have around town

edit: these have been donated already!

Edited by fishy

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had the time or energy to sit down and pick up a book but I did manage to bang out a few short audio books during my commute and work. 

A Mind of Her Own - Paula Mclain

Wishful Drinking - Carrie Fisher

The Minuteman - Greg Donahue

Now currently listening to Shockaholic, Carrie Fisher's second book then I'll listen to her third and final book, The Princess Diarist. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished reading Renegade Star by J.N. Channey https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36112246-renegade-star

I'm not an avid reader but this was an enjoyable fairly quick read for me. It's book 1 of a 16 book series and I am def interested in continuing the series. The author also has tons of other books that I think are all set in the same universe but at some different points. It's a space opera, staring a Han Solo like character, and it's very action packed. I'm not sure that it does anything you wouldn't have seen before but like I said it was a page turner for me.

Finished reading Legends and Lattes the other day and damn was that a fun and fast read. Nice and cozy with just a sprinkle of drama. Very nice if you want to read something that has a good story and mostly calm fluff.

Anyone else using StoryGraph? Would love to add some friends on there.

On 1/28/2023 at 9:53 PM, fishy said:

sfkWiil.jpg

hi all, i'm trying to clear out my bookshelf and am throwing an offer out here to y'all. if you want any of these books, i'll be happy to send them to you. preference would be to split shipping cost, but i don't need anything for the books themselves. feel free to send me a dm if you're interested. i have most of them because i read them in college, but despite being assigned reading, most of them are actually good reads. they'll otherwise be donated to a thrift store or put into one of the little libraries we have around town

Are 'The Stranger' (most tedious book I ever read) and the 'Meursault Investigations' related?

8 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

Are 'The Stranger' (most tedious book I ever read) and the 'Meursault Investigations' related?

yes! the meursault investigation is a book from the perspective of the brother (?) of the unnamed Arab man from the stranger 

11 hours ago, aimkin said:

i have just now learned from you that storygraph exists and am now very much on there

On 3/14/2023 at 8:24 AM, aimkin said:

Finished reading Legends and Lattes the other day and damn was that a fun and fast read. Nice and cozy with just a sprinkle of drama. Very nice if you want to read something that has a good story and mostly calm fluff.

I enjoy the fantasy genre so I'm going to look this one up, thanks for the recommendation!

I have never heard of StoryGraph but am checking it out now since you mentioned it. I'm always looking for new books and this app looks awesome. I just made an account! If you are still looking to add new friends on there my username is the same as on here. 

• 4 weeks later...

Finished Queens Shadow this morning by E.K. Johnston. Pretty fast read and great if you're like me and wish there was more Padme content in the Star Wars catalogue. Heavy on the politics but gives great insight into what happened between Episodes 1 and 2 with Padme, along with the undercurrent of Palpatine getting the gears moving. Also love how much the story revolves around her handmaidens and more specifically Sabe, who was the main decoy played by Kiera Knightley in Episode 1.

On 1/28/2023 at 3:53 PM, fishy said:

sfkWiil.jpg

Are these still available? Sorry I know this is much later

I LOVED reading this. I am a history nerd through and through. Couple that with the fact I am a retired history teacher who still reads like there is no tomorrow...I think you get the picture.

My focus has always been European history from 1870 through the end of WW2. I have studied WW2 and the Holocaust for over 45 years. I have a very extensive book collection, that I am constantly adding to! With that being said, here is what I have recently finished reading, or am currently reading:

The Lives of Brian by Brian Johnson, lead singer of AC/DC. Yea, HUGE AC/DC fan here. Loved the book, absolutely loved it! Every time I picked it up I felt like we were out for a beer and he was telling me about his life before AC/DC...just a great read for anyone who enjoys books about, and by, musicians. Highly recommend.

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I think this is the 5th or 6th time I have read this book. I have been a huge fan of Holmes since I was a young fella and that hasnt changed. A great comfort read for sure.

Victory: 100 Great Military Commanders by Nigel Cawthorne. I enjoy how this book is not chapters, but just 2-page bios. An easy informative read. Actually does get repetitive some, due to him having summary boxes. But still an informative book. I dont agree with all of his selections, but then where is the fun in these kinds of books if all we do is agree?

The Wars of America by Robert Leckie. This is a book I picked up a few years ago and just not got around to reading. It was published quite a few years ago and its size kind of had me turn my back on it (over 1000 pages) so it gathered dust on the shelf. That is until a couple of weeks ago I was sorting thru the piles of books I have and came across it, then the name hit me. I knew the author's name! He was in the HBO series "The Pacific" about the Pacific theater in WW2. Robert Leckie was a main character in the series. That was enough for me to wipe the dust off and dig it. I will admit, it is a little dated, with the way he refers to American Indians, but I am still enjoying it. 

The Guns at Last Light by Rick Atkinson. This is the third in a series of books about the US involvement in the European theater in WW2 (I am seeing my own theme here) This one deals with the D-Day invasion until the end of the war. I have to say I have enjoyed all of the books. He has a very fluid writing style that does not get bogged down in data. It is informational, without being boring. I am almost finished with this one and am going to be looking for more by this author.

I read way too much (some say) but it is something I have always done. 

If anyone is looking for history related recommendations, especially about both world wars or the Holocaust, please let me know. 

Yea, I like talking about this stuff, hahaha!

Thanks for reading if you hung on this long!

On 3/14/2023 at 9:24 AM, aimkin said:

I haven't really heard of StoryGraph (I probably had at some point but forgot) but I'm on Goodreads. How do you like SG compared to GR?

I don't know how I just discovered this thread. smh

Recently finished the first book in Anthony Ryan's new series Covenant of Steel, The Pariah. The prose, dialogue, and pacing kept me going. Everything else was fine but didn't really grab me. In some ways seemed like a redo of his first book, Blood Song. It was still a good read though.

Also finished The Story of Santa Claus by Joseph A. McCullough. It was an enjoyable, concise collection of history and tales behind everyone's favorite red-suited chimney diver.

Also, I'm on Goodreads if anyone else is.

1 hour ago, animal74 said:

I haven't really heard of StoryGraph (I probably had at some point but forgot) but I'm on Goodreads. How do you like SG compared to GR?

I like it better than GR. It's not as clunky feeling because the app is very sleek. Also your main feed is your TBR and recs instead of updates from people you follow. You can also see stats on your reading so you can check out the types of books you read, track how many pages you've read, and just so many other stats that I really like. I definitely recommend checking out the app. You can also export your GR stuff to SG so you can move over your reading history and TBR. 

• 3 months later...

I have read a whole bunch since my last update. 

Truth and Measure by Roslyn Sinclair

The Only Woman in the Room - Marie Benedict

The Princess Diarist - Carrie Fisher

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

This is How You Lose the Time War - Max Gladstone and Amal El-Mohtar

I'm Glad My Mom Died - Jeanette McCurdy

3 were print and 3 were audio books. 

Currently making my way through my sisters' middle grade book and then trying to figure out what to read next. 

If you have Storygraph, feel free to follow me. Username is the same. 

Edited by aimkin

53 minutes ago, aimkin said:

I have read a whole bunch since my last update. 

Truth and Measure by Roslyn Sinclair

The Only Woman in the Room - Marie Benedict

The Princess Diarist - Carrie Fisher

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

This is How You Lose the Time War - Max Gladstone and Amal El-Mohtar

I'm Glad My Mom Died - Jeanette McCurdy

3 were print and 3 were audio books. 

Currently making my way through my sisters' middle grade book and then trying to figure out what to read next. 

If you have Storgraph, feel free to follow me. Username is the same. 

I need to check out Storgraph. I have never heard of it and am not impressed with Goodreads. I dont really have friends on there and I really could care less what people I dont know are saying. I like where you said it has recommendations....that is what I would really like!

7 minutes ago, Otis Boudreaux Jr said:

I need to check out Storgraph. I have never heard of it and am not impressed with Goodreads. I dont really have friends on there and I really could care less what people I dont know are saying. I like where you said it has recommendations....that is what I would really like!

It's a great app. And it let's your do ratings by. 25 incriments as well. Definitely worth the download. Follow me if you get it! 

On 8/5/2023 at 8:40 PM, aimkin said:

It's a great app. And it let's your do ratings by. 25 incriments as well. Definitely worth the download. Follow me if you get it! 

On it, looks interesting. I followed you, I'm Jesster64

• 2 weeks later...

Been on a reading/listening tare this past few months. I had a goal to read 10 books this year and as of right now, I've read 17. I'm leaving my goal at 10 though because I want to see what % over 100 I can get it to lol.

I read my sister's middle grade book but excuse me for not sharing the name just to keep privacy lol. It was okay. Not for me but I think kids will enjoy it.

I also listened to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe because I had never read either and they were both quick audiobooks. I really just wanted to knock those classics off of my list.

At the moment, I am slowly making my way through One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston, when sleeping at my parent's house I've been picking up A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas, and when I can get it back on Libby, I'll be continuing 2nd Chance by James Patterson. I don't care for Patterson but I watched the one season of Women's Murder Club, fell in love with the characters, and then fell in love with the first book.

On 8/16/2023 at 8:17 PM, aimkin said:

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

WOOOOOOO

this series was my guilty pleasure, and I've heard that her Throne of Glass series is just as good. If you wanna react to ACOTAR with someone, let me know!!!