VHL SUGGESTS - Portal Player Profiles

bigAL

Welcome to our series VHL Suggests. We had an amazing amount of feedback in the S79 Deadline Suggestion Drive. @Beketov and I spent a lot of time reading through your ideas, sorting them into common themes, counting how often they come up, and overall just appreciating the members and ideas we have here.

There's too much content to discuss all at once, so I'll be dropping VHL SUGGESTS threads here and there to discuss specific issues and ideas that came up in the massive thread. Use this place to fine-tune the big ideas, think logistics, and double-check that this is something we actually want to do.

Finally, a disclaimer: discussing /=/ implementing. Once we have ideas fleshed out further, we'll send them up and down the chain of command to determine feasibility, add some extra polish, or double check it's something that will add value to the community. Even at this stage, there's no guarantee anything we discuss will happen. We will do our best to approach the topic constructively from a solutions-based perspective. Just remember, we're still just discussing.

First up: Portal Player Profiles

By my count, the idea of building a player 'profile' on the portal came up at least 15 times in the big thread. People wanted numbers, renders, photos, hometowns, lots of different ideas.

Take a look at your own Player Page. What's there, and what's missing? What more do you want to know about Groovy Dood when you click on his profile? Where would you put that additional info?

Collaborate, build on each other's ideas, and don't feel bad about echoing other's thoughts - if we see the same thing coming up over and over, it's probably important.

GO!

• Commissioner

Bring 👏 Back 👏 Player 👏 Numbers!

Having your number retired used to be a nice surprise because it could just happen without user intervention but without numbers being visible we now need to ask the user what number they wore so it kinda ruins the surprise. It doesn’t need to translate into STHS at all but being on the player page would be nice.

Also maybe a little flag, similar to “retired” for HoF players.

I am going to echo Bek and also say that we should have numbers. I also think handedness would be cool even though it isn’t affected in the sim. I don’t mind the idea of profile pictures as you could put a photo of your “render.” Another idea to implement renders is having a spot that says “Models their game after: ______” That would be the person they would want to use as their render. 

Just now, Ricer13 said:

I am going to echo Bek and also say that we should have numbers. I also think handedness would be cool even though it isn’t affected in the sim. I don’t mind the idea of profile pictures as you could put a photo of your “render.” Another idea to implement renders is having a spot that says “Models their game after: ______” That would be the person they would want to use as their render. 

Or “Player Comparison: _____”

For me most of the information is already in the page but some key aspects are missing.

1. Players Numbers

2. Players Image

Things that I would like to see changed format/layout wise and more obvious would be:

1. Name placement

2. Current team

3. Drafted teams ( VHL, VHLM & VHLE) as right now it only covers when they were drafted.

209932020_Playerpagechanges.thumb.jpg.bcb478380cb2782a0048bf9dfca2c84a.jpg

Lastly Player Biography page would be a nice addition with links to Junior Review, Scout Report & Veteran Presence considering if I am correct that these replaced the Biography aspect in the Career TPE section. This should also link HOF articles after the player has retired. 

i like what SHL and other sim leagues do with championship trophies under the profiles of users. something like that would be cool to a player profile, add pngs of cups that they win majors/minors, maybe even expand it to individual awards too? I guess what I'm saying is a trophy case section.

1 hour ago, Nykonax said:

i like what SHL and other sim leagues do with championship trophies under the profiles of users. something like that would be cool to a player profile, add pngs of cups that they win majors/minors, maybe even expand it to individual awards too? I guess what I'm saying is a trophy case section.

Love this idea!

16 hours ago, Beketov said:

Already exists, go to player management in admin panel and tick the hof field. I think I added it like months ago but no one used it since there’s a shit ton of hof players and no one wanted to go through and click it for each of them.

2 hours ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

This would be a sick format, I really like the idea of having the name and logo of the team that drafted you as well.

Edited by ajwllmsn

I like this. It's not something I'd actively care about myself, but some things in there could make for interesting article tidbits and I can see why it can add some more depth to player creation.

• Commissioner
4 hours ago, Dil said:

Already exists, go to player management in admin panel and tick the hof field. I think I added it like months ago but no one used it since there’s a shit ton of hof players and no one wanted to go through and click it for each of them.

Adding things halfway and then not mentioning is so that someone can finish it doesn’t help much :P There’s probably what, like 140 HoF players maybe? Probably wouldn’t take too long to run through them a click a box; I’ll try to run through them at some point.

22 hours ago, Beketov said:

Bring 👏 Back 👏 Player 👏 Numbers!

Having your number retired used to be a nice surprise because it could just happen without user intervention but without numbers being visible we now need to ask the user what number they wore so it kinda ruins the surprise. It doesn’t need to translate into STHS at all but being on the player page would be nice.

This x 10

5 hours ago, Beketov said:

Adding things halfway and then not mentioning is so that someone can finish it doesn’t help much :P There’s probably what, like 140 HoF players maybe? Probably wouldn’t take too long to run through them a click a box; I’ll try to run through them at some point.

I added them because Beaviss asked me to. He then realized it was gonna be a bunch of work and never did it.

One more thing that I just remembered thinking about a lot and it's probably not easy - but on the portal, is it possible to have a correlation/connection with a user and their current team so that when going to Team Stats or Team List, their team would automatically load? Probably a pie in the sky request but just a snazzy feature that would be helpful and cool. 

I love a lot of the previous suggestions, like numbers and logos and colours. But my suggestion would be to add an option where you choose a graphic in forum settings or somewhere that is then added to your player page, like at the top or the bottom. Just an idea.

I agree with a lot of what’s being suggested. Numbers for sure, render/profile picture is awesome ( @Gaikoku-hito’s format idea), HOF banner is cool too. Another suggestion I have would be relatives? Some users recreate as family members of their previous player. Also certain last names are used more than once (Reinhart is the first that comes to mind). 

21 hours ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

For me most of the information is already in the page but some key aspects are missing.

1. Players Numbers

2. Players Image

Things that I would like to see changed format/layout wise and more obvious would be:

1. Name placement

2. Current team

3. Drafted teams ( VHL, VHLM & VHLE) as right now it only covers when they were drafted.

Lastly Player Biography page would be a nice addition with links to Junior Review, Scout Report & Veteran Presence considering if I am correct that these replaced the Biography aspect in the Career TPE section. This should also link HOF articles after the player has retired. 

I like this one..

For HOF, can add a golden ribbon around the picture with a season of induction on the bottom left corner (HOF S78)

A player movement tab would be cool as well.

"S81 - Traded to Team X with a 2nd round pick for Player Y and Player Z"

• Commissioner
20 minutes ago, McKelvie said:

A player movement tab would be cool as well.

"S81 - Traded to Team X with a 2nd round pick for Player Y and Player Z"

That already exists on the player page. Doesn’t go into that depth of detail but it’s there.

Yeah I also like the idea of player number and retired banners and HOF Badges..

I also think it would be cool to have maybe like a "featured sig" that you could upload with a max dimension of a standard 200 x 400 sig.

Maybe even quick links to the career Point Tasks (Rookie Spotlight and Veteran PT). Might give more incentive to actually make those quality and not just word filler.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:26 PM, Beketov said:

That already exists on the player page. Doesn’t go into that depth of detail but it’s there.

probably more of a will thing but instead of just saying "Traded to X in S80" it should include the link to the trade as well