Hlozek Frustrated by S79 Form

Bojovnik

Riga Reign defenceman Jan Hlozek has appeared to be in the midst of a sophomore slump all season. In his second VHL campaign, the Czech blueliner looks set to register fewer points than he did in his rookie season, and the Topolna native could not hide his disappointment after yet another loss yesterday.

Hlozek scored 50 points last season from the blueline to finish second in rookie points scoring. This earned him a spot on the VHL's All-Rookie team, but with 40 points through 62 games in S79, Hlozek looks like he will be unable to match or better this total.

Perhaps more alarmingly, Hlozek appears to be shooting the puck less. In S78, he registered 164 shots. Through 62 games this season, he has just managed to get the puck on net a total of 131 times.

"It's difficult to say what's happened this season. I understand where I sit on the depth chart, because there are at least two more experienced guys ahead of me. Either way, I'm not doing more than enough on the second pairing, and it has certainly been frustrating," he said following Riga's loss to the DC Dragons on Monday.

The Reign have just 10 games to go in the season to book their place in the playoffs, after two consecutive postseason misses.