Something Amazing Has Happened

thadthrasher

Because I know that literally all of you care about what's going on in my life, here's an update!

---

It was just over a week ago that @LuluSalesAway and I found out we were having a son. It's incredibly exciting knowing that our son is growing and changing inside of her, and it has completely consumed our lives in a good way. We've been making the registry, preparing the nursery, learning more about parenting, and just preparing ourselves for parenthood. It's exciting, scary, amazing, and intimidating all in one. All of this is going alongside my job at a new church, in a new town, in a new state (though we are from here originally). We are meeting countless new people, making great connections, filling our schedules with so much to do. I never realized how busy my late 20s were going to be.

Well, yesterday was a bit of a stressful/good day. Morning worship at church was great, as was Sunday School. In fact, Sunday School is almost always amazing because I don't have to teach and I actually get to enjoy being present without having to be prepared or concerned. I spend all week preparing for worship, and to not have to worry about Sunday School is a breath of fresh air! What made it even better was that we had a few visitors checking out the church, and a couple of them stuck around for Sunday School as well. 

After all of the fun I went home and began working on a few other projects, also preparing for the start of another semester of seminary. I'm only 5 classes away from my Master's Degree, so I'm really pushing hard to make sure I don't fizzle out. Well, because our church gives a lot of money out to various organizations and camps, I'm often invited to be present at certain events. I was asked to be present at a ground breaking event for a ministry we support who is building an addition on to their cafeteria. I thought I was only going to be driving 20ish minutes to get there (remember, I'm new to the area), but as I pulled it up on my map it was actually just over an hour! So, I had to rush so I wasn't late, and I ended up getting there just in time. It was outside, it was hot and muggy, I was still in my dress clothes, and I was exhausted already. So, this event wasn't the greatest for me, but it was good to learn about the ministry more.

After I got home @Eldredman wanted me to get online and play World of Warcraft with him (what am I, a nerd? yes). I was just so tired that I declined, laid on my couch watching TV, and then got around for bed.

Here's where things get really good.

I was in our bathroom brushing my teeth when I hear Larissa say, 
"Quick, come here. He's kicking!"

I threw down my toothbrush, rinsed quick, and ran to the bed. And, it happened.

For the first time, I felt my son kick. I know, it may not seem like a big deal, but anything that happens that reassures me that things are going well is a win. Plus, I don't get to carry my son. I don't get to feel that he's really there like Larissa does, so to feel him kick is such an amazing thing. I had been spending the last few weeks just hoping to feel something, and it finally happened. All of my exhaustion and stress from the day vanished and I found myself restless due to excitement.

I know fatherhood has to be endlessly stressful and tiring, but it's something I've wanted for a very long time, and I can't wait.

• 11 months later...

Congratulations. Having a child in a family is a big happiness. However, this happiness comes with a big responsibility because you are responsible for that unborn baby. So be prepared for a more stressful day. By the way, congratulations on your new job. I have recently also started working for the https://firstchurchlove.com church, so I can understand how hard it can be to blend into a new working space with new people. But I believe you will do well. Anyway, I wish you mate the best of luck, and congrats again on the baby.

Edited by olympielimon