Official “what do you do for a living” Thread

Beketov

Central admissions for a big hospital conglomerate comprised of 25 hospitals centralized around the Pittsburgh area, but extends to western NY, northeastern PA, as well as a hospital in western MD that's on board with the company but hasn't integrated with my particular department yet. If you're in that general vicinity, you're almost certainly aware of the company, it has a heavy presence in the area.

Basically when patients physically move rooms/beds, they also have to move rooms/beds in a few computer systems (Medipac, First Net, and Teletracking, in our particular case, but different places may use different programs - we're also in the process of exchanging Medipac for Epic). We do that. Also status changes (if they were inpatient but need to be obs, or obs but need to be inpatient, or a few more specialty statuses like extended recovery), also medcalls (when a doc puts in with a hospital to get admitted directly to a floor and bypass the ED, they put in the orders with a group called Medcall, who then sends a booking to us and we enter a preadmit into Medipac for the AODs at the hospitals to see and assign from there), also a handful of other things as they come up.

Only started here about 2 years ago as an indirect promotion out of ED registration at one of the specific hospitals that are part of all of this. Working on heading out the other way actually - have an app active with a position for a Systems Analyst and the hiring people were specifically looking for someone who started closer to ground level like me. One of the bosses specifically sent me the job number personally, so fingers crossed - the pay is almost double, and it's not like the current one is that small on that end, so it would be nice (and I'd be moving to an office building that has its own steakhouse in it, so...)

21 hours ago, thadthrasher said:

During my senior year though I became a pastor in the United Methodist Church. After graduation I began my Graduate work and am currently 15 credits away from my Master's Degree (I'm at 81/96 credits). I am a full-time Christian pastor and a full-time student (at least until May 2022).

is becoming a methodist pastor different from catholic? i know in catholicism you have to go to like rome and shit to become one, what was your process?

1 hour ago, hylands said:

i cut lettuce and corn all day during the summer at a grocery store. when it’s not summer time i just cut lettuce all day instead.

why is romaine the superior lettuce

2 hours ago, hylands said:

i cut lettuce and corn all day during the summer at a grocery store. when it’s not summer time i just cut lettuce all day instead.

We have a cut fruit "department" that's really just one person. It used to be some guy who would show up whenever he felt like it and was always baked out of his mind...

2 hours ago, hylands said:

I thought you worked a night shift?

On 9/7/2021 at 11:50 AM, thadthrasher said:

I have a B.S in Mass Communication: Electronic Media. So, somewhat like @Beketov, I've worked a little in post production, producing, writing, and filming. I've also managed a radio station for a bit, and was the program manager there as well.

During my senior year though I became a pastor in the United Methodist Church. After graduation I began my Graduate work and am currently 15 credits away from my Master's Degree (I'm at 81/96 credits). I am a full-time Christian pastor and a full-time student (at least until May 2022).

Wait... you have a B.S in Mass Communication: Electronic Media too???? From the same school as me??? WOAH?! 

Yeah so, I actually do a lot of what this is about for a living. 

I'm a Media Relations Manager and Broadcaster for an ECHL team. I write press releases, write feature stories, shoot videos, run social media, etc. on a daily basis.

And yes, our social media voice is very sarcastic, and I do roast people from the team's accounts. 

This is fun because I don't have to research stats and get clearances from our NHL affiliate to post anything. 

On 9/6/2021 at 2:31 PM, CowboyinAmerica said:

Magazine editor over here, have done it for a while now and enjoy it. Though I've also got an MBA I did part-time while working, so casually looking around the job market for if I want to change things up.

I could use an editor in my job. I have so many press releases during the off-season. I write the release, send it to our staff, and if no one says anything, blast it to our fans. 

I work for a hockey team

On 9/6/2021 at 3:15 PM, Beketov said:

Started this all so might as well share my own.

I work in post production for a TV and film production company. Primarily I’m an offline editor (would also sometimes be called a story editor) but I also do most of our final deliveries, dabble in online editing (would also sometimes be called finishing), and basically just do anything video related that’s needed.

Before you ask as well: no, I have likely not worked on anything you’ve seen. It’s not impossible of course but unlikely. We work primarily in French and primarily in doc. Since French docs aren’t exactly hyper popular my reach is not super far but we’ve made some great shows over the years.

Come do post for our video content. It would take one more thing off of my plate haha Plus its making hockey videos that are real!

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Gretzky didnt lift da puck said:

Come do post for our video content. It would take one more thing off of my plate haha Plus its making hockey videos that are real!

I make hockey videos that are real actually haha. One of our shows is biographies about former NHL players. Got proper NHL rights and everything.

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I make hockey videos that are real actually haha. One of our shows is biographies about former NHL players. Got proper NHL rights and everything.

That's sick. I have to work through like 4 different people with the Panthers if I want any video content from them... and they are our affiliate.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Gretzky didnt lift da puck said:

That's sick. I have to work through like 4 different people with the Panthers if I want any video content from them... and they are our affiliate.

Haha yeah, it’s nice. Our broadcaster (RDS) can get us basically the highlight package of any game we want if not the whole thing and if they somehow don’t have something we can contact the NHL directly and get it. It’s actually probably easier than getting it from the teams directly because the NHL and broadcasters have tapes full of old archives whereas the teams probably wouldn’t keep that kinda stuff for themselves.

But yeah, it’s a fun show. We’re starting shooting our 8th season in a few weeks.

Currently going to High school (grade 12). Planning on going to VIU In Nanaimo, taking a Criminology Diploma. Then I will apply for Depot, which is the RCMP Training Camp. If I succeed I will have become an RCMP Officer. I'm coming for yah Rory and Beaver. 

I work at Dominos as a delivery driver working about 10 hours a week with school. 

I also work on my family farm, working with cattle, sprinklers, hay. Spend about 10 a week with school. 

Then finally I work at my Church as a summer intern. It ends in two weeks. I'm doing 15 hours there. 

I guess you could say I'm a busy guy. 

• 1 month later...

it was a lot of fun finding and reading through this thread, hope more people can contribute

I'm a Junior in HS along with some others here. Work retail during the summer and attend my local career center for digital design

Fun thread - somehow I missed it when it started.

I work in commercial insurance and underwrite something called "inland marine" for a US national insurance carrier - primarily buildings under construction/renovation, contractor's equipment, goods in transit, warehouse legal liability, etc...

Tons of my family works in insurance, I went to school for economics thinking maybe I wanted to do that, but then realized it was too much math.

Edited by Fire Vigneault