Official “what do you do for a living” Thread

Beketov

On 9/6/2021 at 2:05 PM, Ricer13 said:

I am a commercial HVAC/R Technician. I work on heating and cooling systems on commercial buildings. We don’t do any residential work unless it’s for a commercial customer. I personally am apart of the “building automation” part of our company. I install, troubleshoot and repair the controls for the equipment.

It’s an amazing trade to get into if you’re ever considering a career in the trades.

Why the heck is natural gas so expensive now

On 9/6/2021 at 5:25 PM, youloser1337 said:

I'm a data entry for an insurance company. Basically key in medical bills to be paid by the car insurance. It's about as exciting as it seems lol

If you learn / already know some basic excel skills like pivot tables and some formulas you can exagerate this job description on your resume and probably turn it into an entry level business / data analyst position, assuming that is something you would be interested in. The data entry part is by far the least exciting part, as it seems you have discovered lol. Insurance business analysts is not a bad field to get into at all

On 11/2/2021 at 7:03 PM, jhatty8 said:

it was a lot of fun finding and reading through this thread, hope more people can contribute

I'm a Junior in HS along with some others here. Work retail during the summer and attend my local career center for digital design

I have always thought you were much older than that for some reason. Didn't you join this league when you were like 12 then?

On 11/2/2021 at 7:30 PM, Fire Vigneault said:

Fun thread - somehow I missed it when it started.

I work in commercial insurance and underwrite something called "inland marine" for a US national insurance carrier - primarily buildings under construction/renovation, contractor's equipment, goods in transit, warehouse legal liability, etc...

Tons of my family works in insurance, I went to school for economics thinking maybe I wanted to do that, but then realized it was too much math.

I feel you on the too much math, I had to do just some basic calculus for intermediate microeconomics and in the words of Randy Jackson... That's a no from me dawg.

I am currently a financial analyst for a smallish sized insurance brokerage company. I do a little bit of everything with some basic accounting on income statements and balance sheets, overseeing our commissions process to make sure sales people get paid, training our new temp worker on some data entry, and prepare lots of excel spreadsheets and powerpoints for our boomer senior leadership team. I never would have thought my high school microsoft office class would be so helpful towards my job, but for some reason our senior leadership loves powerpoint animations so here I am as an animation painter pro lol. 

1 hour ago, WentzKneeFan036 said:

If you learn / already know some basic excel skills like pivot tables and some formulas you can exagerate this job description on your resume and probably turn it into an entry level business / data analyst position, assuming that is something you would be interested in. The data entry part is by far the least exciting part, as it seems you have discovered lol. Insurance business analysts is not a bad field to get into at all

Funny story about this. I recently got promoted to the internal IT department! No longer doing data entry. I'm so happy I'm out of that lol. Great advice though! :D 

15 minutes ago, youloser1337 said:

Funny story about this. I recently got promoted to the internal IT department! No longer doing data entry. I'm so happy I'm out of that lol. Great advice though! :D 

Good for you glad you got out of that! How many people call IT before trying to restart their computer?

• 3 weeks later...

I am the Systems Administrator at a school district close by. It has the every day IT challenges, which I love taking on. It may pay less than a corporate environment, but that is compensated by being in a far less stressful environment, and I get amazing PTO to spend plenty of time with my family. I also do IT consulting on the side, so that little gap of money that can be made elsewhere is more than made up!

So, I did my banking apprenticeship with Credit Suisse for three years, then it was off to serve the Fatherland (compulsory military service), made it to QM Sgt. Then four years in Credit Suisse 1st level IT support. Worked in an affiliate company of GlaxoSmithKline for a couple of years. The last 14 years I have been a demurrage analyst for an international petrochemical trading company @GustavMattiaswe do have a biofuels plant in New Haven, CT... don't know about vacancies as not my cup of tea... AmericanGreenFuels, LLC is the name of that branch. here is the link https://americangreenfuels.com/. I realize your post is several months in the past, but hey maybe there is a fit...

Middle school student that takes 1/2 of their classes at the high school since my parents set me up to graduate a semester early. I also work at a AMC inside a mall that’s surrounded by gang activity and has had three gang related shootings inside or around the mall. My work life is pretty interesting to say the least.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I work in the VFX industry more specifically in Production Management. I've been in the industry for just over a decade. My job requirements have me doing a bunch of different tasks but I mainly manage the production team and artist supervisors while interacting with clients and vendors on a daily basis. I also make sure our films or shots go smoothly, help build delivery pipelines between my studio and clients, manage teams, support my staff, interface with clients, make sure we hit targets and much more. I've worked on big blockbusters and animated films. The hours can be long and grueling but I enjoy what I do. 

Here are a few films I've worked on: Man of Steel, Godzilla (2014), Elysium, Spiderman into the Spiderverse 

I’m a college dropout server/supervisor at a restaurant. Proud to say that I left school when it wasn’t for me. I don’t mind this job at all but there’s no way it’ll be my forever job. I’ve always thought becoming an electrician would be cool. My ocd would love to tackle panels everyday

17 hours ago, Subject056 said:

I work in the VFX industry more specifically in Production Management. I've been in the industry for just over a decade. My job requirements have me doing a bunch of different tasks but I mainly manage the production team and artist supervisors while interacting with clients and vendors on a daily basis. I also make sure our films or shots go smoothly, help build delivery pipelines between my studio and clients, manage teams, support my staff, interface with clients, make sure we hit targets and much more. I've worked on big blockbusters and animated films. The hours can be long and grueling but I enjoy what I do. 

Here are a few films I've worked on: Man of Steel, Godzilla (2014), Elysium, Spiderman into the Spiderverse 

Maybe you worked with @Tate on Godzilla! He was an assistant director maybe.