Official “what do you do for a living” Thread

Beketov

I graduated this May majoring in Finance, Accounting and Business Analytics, and I use a bit of all of it now as an auditor for a bank. It's more interesting than it's made out to be since you get a peek behind the curtains of whatever company/department/business line you're auditing at the time. It's honestly risk assessment and mitigation evaluation since we have to be aware of all potential threats to the company and make sure we're not leaving ourselves exposed for penalties/fines/lawsuits. Pretty cool stuff.

53 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

The HVAC units/systems! We interface with controls contractors a lot though. Always questions related to bacnet/modbus.

That’s really cool! We work a lot with bacnet communication. Not a lot with modbus anymore. 

2 hours ago, Domg5 said:

I went to college in electronics (mostly telecoms) but don’t even work in that department. I am currently working for a company that is building irons structures and bridges everywhere in North America.

Fancy way to say construction worker :kekw:

Currently selling furniture at a local mom and pop place (that does incredibly well)...surprisingly has been good money and a great atmosphere.

Ultimately planning on following through on becoming a Real Estate Agent while opening my own side paralegal business (as a licensed paralegal) specializing in Property Law and Landlord & Tenant.

2 hours ago, Ricer13 said:

That’s really cool! We work a lot with bacnet communication. Not a lot with modbus anymore. 

Definitely - just figured I would give it some depth :D

My favorite is when customers doesn't specify IP or MSTP and I have to provide a new control board or module lmao

Everything wants to be viewable via BMS so it's definitely something I interface with more often.

Edited by frescoelmo

I suppose I didn't formally explain 'what I do for a living' so here goes.  My background is in construction management, did a few years as a project manager for a MEPFP contractor (design-build, so we did most of the engineering and construction in house) and had some cool projects/clients like federal projects, Intel and Daimler.  Moved into a more refined position in sales and engineering about 5 years ago.  Work with engineering firms to design heating/cooling systems (HVACR) for various new/renovation projects across the city and manage procurement, logistics and warranty/service with construction companies.

38 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

I suppose I didn't formally explain 'what I do for a living' so here goes.  My background is in construction management, did a few years as a project manager for a MEPFP contractor (design-build, so we did most of the engineering and construction in house) and had some cool projects/clients like federal projects, Intel and Daimler.  Moved into a more refined position in sales and engineering about 5 years ago.  Work with engineering firms to design heating/cooling systems (HVACR) for various new/renovation projects across the city and manage procurement, logistics and warranty/service with construction companies.

If by chance you happen to work for Honeywell please tell someone that Gustav is still waiting for a response about his internship application.

So many companies ghosted me on that this summer smh

Just now, GustavMattias said:

If by chance you happen to work for Honeywell please tell someone that Gustav is still waiting for a response about his internship application.

So many companies ghosted me on that this summer smh

My extent with them ends at wifi thermostats, but I will do my best :cheers:

Have worked a lot in hospitality while travelling. 

Did underground tunnelling for awhile and completed tunnels in Toronto, Edmonton and Sydney.

Operated heavy equipment in iron ore, gold and salt mines. 

And currently working at a fly in resort doing grounds, maintenance and occasionally fishing guiding. 

I have a B.S in Mass Communication: Electronic Media. So, somewhat like @Beketov, I've worked a little in post production, producing, writing, and filming. I've also managed a radio station for a bit, and was the program manager there as well.

During my senior year though I became a pastor in the United Methodist Church. After graduation I began my Graduate work and am currently 15 credits away from my Master's Degree (I'm at 81/96 credits). I am a full-time Christian pastor and a full-time student (at least until May 2022).

1 hour ago, JardyB10 said:

I got my chemical engineering degree some years ago, then pivoted to where the jobs were and now I’m an engineer-in-training/indentured servant for the highways department of a consulting firm.

My co-worker last summer was in almost exactly the same situation. He was a chemical engineer in Calgary and then moved back to Saskatchewan and he's now the materials coordinator for the company I worked at

On 9/6/2021 at 11:14 AM, FrostBeard said:

Howdy! 

Just so there are quite a few people in the league that know nothing about me, here we go!

I am a beekeeper, I have been doing this for all my life as my family has been keeping bees and making a lot of interesting items out of their products (For example, bee wax candles). I do this in my free time combined with video games, VHL and music (I do play guitar, bass and a bit of piano). 
In my professional life I have been a political advisor, project manager, risk manager but right now, I have devoted myself to political career (for next few months fully) as I have been elected in my local municipality as a council member. In the next few months I am planning to take a job at our local Culture center where I will be working as the director. 

Well, that sums it up for me, if anyone is interested in chatting about anything that you might think is in my field of interest, hit me up ;)

Cheers, 
Frosty

holy fuck you won! nice :)