Insiders Look: VHLM Draft with AGM Gaikoku-hito

Gaikoku-hito

761119649_Season80VHLMDraftHype.thumb.jpg.dab6d0d28d6cc01dc85fe61a44a668b3.jpg

Every year the VHLM holds a draft looking for prospective players that might bring a team to Founder’s Cup glory. Much like the AHL is to the NHL this season great talented prospect of the VHL teams join the roster of the VHLM as they develop into every day VHL players. This will be a first hand look with insight into the VHLM draft with first year AGM Gaikoku-hito of the Yukon Rush as the team made their selection.

So when did you as team start looking at scouting for the draft?

Gai: We started talking about the draft actually right after both of us where hired of the job with understanding that Yukon had just come off the back of a Founder’s Cup meant that we needed to look to boost our pick selection. Yukon GM Dom did a great job maxing out the first round selections this season; with Ottawa I think being able to collect just as many but having collected more overall picks in the second and third. That being said we knew drafting was going to be key but still really didn’t start scouting until after last years trade deadline.

When scouting what are you looking for in a player?

Gai: Well, I can only speak for myself as the GM might have a different way then scout then me. What I am looking at the players overall build (TPE), how much they are earning, if I know their manager and Character. We want guys that want to have fun and are activity interested in improving as a player.

3000+ words Claiming 4wks Sept 26, Oct 3rd, Oct 10th and Oct 17th

Can you explain what happened a week before this years draft with the reported Computer fire?

Gai: Yes (stated laughing) but first it wasn’t a computer fire. What happened simple was I noticed while filling in some scouting reports that my computers charger had some loose connections and wasn’t going to last very long so I order a replacement charger. That night when doing unrelated to the league activities my charge started to ark and burnt its self out and was no longer charging my computer.

Not a big deal since the replacement charger was suppose to arrive on Friday morning as I had order the replacement on Wednesday.

Friday arrived and the received an e-mail from the store that I order the charger being told that they had misplaced the charger and that they would send another one that would arrive Monday or Tuesday.

Sunday I received another e-mail stating that they still were not able to find a replacement charger for the one that they had lost so I wasn’t going to be able to get my replacement charger before Friday as they were waiting on a delivery of new charger to arrive early in the week. It was frustrating since I wasn’t able to do my job as an AGM for a week and half.

So no it wasn’t a computer fire but it did leave me running around like I was on fire!!

That means that you were cutting close to get the replacement charger in time for the draft as the draft was being held Saturday night; Where you concerned?

Gai: Consider at the time my computer went down we had no actually date or time set for the draft meaning I was at extreme chance that I was actually not going to be present or even have a say in the drafting process. In the end the charger arrived early on Thursday; which is actually when I found out that the draft hadn’t taken place and was scheduled for Saturday. That was when Dom dropped another bomb on my already crazy week in which I that I might have to handle the draft alone.

Wow, First year and a big draft for Yukon and you were expected to handle the draft alone. How did that make you feel?

Gai: Extremely nervous!! While we had discussed prior to my computer issues what we wanted in the direction of the team this year we really hadn’t discussed players or positions. It also meant that my list might have been completely different to what Dom had. It one thing being the wing man but another being the captain of the ship. I felt like was ready to crash us amongst the rocks but that happens when you feel under prepared for something.

A major trade took place right before the draft between Yukon and Philadelphia Reapers with the team receive a near max defender in String Chameleon and 6th round selection for a 5th round selection in this years draft, next years first and S82 4th rounder. How did that trade actually come about?

Gai: Actually this trade came about without any insight from myself due to the fact that it was already completed on Thursday but not announced until Friday around noon. I did talk to Dom about the trade slightly once I was aware of it but it was already agreed to. Truth be told I actually liked the trade but simply thought some of the pieces could have been arranged differently.

What do you think String Chameleon brings to the team?

Gai: He brings us a core defender heading into the draft meaning we could focus in others of the teams needs; He should be a key aspect of the teams’ success this year if we end up going far into the playoffs.

Draft day and The Red Menace is selected first overall by Ottawa. What are your thoughts about this selection?

Gai: It was always going to happen since goaltending was weak in overall depth in the draft so most teams were going to be looking to add a goaltender as where we as we had hoped that The Red Menace would have dropped to us to be selected with the 4th selection.

4th Overall Selection You selected Harkat Mulds a returning player as he played for the team as waiver claim if I am correct. What made you decide he was the right player for your team?

Gai: Well, I must correct you firstly as I didn’t draft Mulds as GM Dom was able to actually make the draft after all so I was back in wing man mode.

Mulds was always a target of ours since he was always going to be a high selection in the draft with knowing of the manager, character of the player and overall potential means that we had selected very highly regarded player on and off the ice. He should lead the team in both regards this season.

Right after the selection it was announced that Yukon had trade 12th selection, 19th selection and 22nd selection for 8th selection, 13th selection and 44th selection in this years draft. What was the thought process behind this trade?

Gai: Well, We had three draft picks in the second very close together but we had players higher up in the draft that we really liked so by moving two higher picks we were able to move up to 8th selection to get the player that we wanted while not losing out (hopefully) on the player that we would have selected at with the 12th selection. It was a good trade by GM Dom.

Now with back to back picks at 7th and 8th overall you selected Kyosti Karjalainen and Zaza Colors. What drew your attention to these players with the later selection being the player that you moved up to select?

Gai: Karjalainen was actually a surprise selection as I had him being selected higher in the actual draft so the fact that we reach down slightly with our first selection to select Mulds to find my actually 4th selection had dropped to us at the 7th selection put me over the moon. Again another player that we had last year off waivers and we actually know the manager very well since both players that Dom and myself manage played with Karjalainen manager formerly managed player so it was a no brainer to try to select Karjalainen.

Zara Colors was another easy selection due to the fact that they are managed by one of the leagues Commissioner. He is a very good player that should lead the league this year so now having three forwards selected in the first eight picks of the draft we feel we have a dominate first line potential with Mulds, Karjalainen and Colors.

Next came the biggest trade of this years draft with Yukon completing a blockbuster trade with Philadelphia again. Right after they had selected 10th overall Hulk Hogan 2 and even before the player could reach the podium he had his right traded to Yukon in a trade that seen Hulk Hogan & Shawn Glade traded to Yukon for S82 1st rounder and 44th selection in this draft. (the most traded pick). Simple how?

Gai: Honestly I don’t know even about this trade. This trade surprised me as GM Dom pulled some great string here not only to grab a player that we wanted in Hogan and we knew we were going to miss out on this player but also Glade giving us a full roster of four defenders with a solid drafted first line. Now all we were missing was a tender and we would be ready to make a solid run at the playoffs and the Founder’s cup. If the draft had finished here for our team I think we would have been more then happy with the way the draft had played its self out.

That being said Yukon at  this point still had the 13th and 16th overall selection plus selection in the 6th and 7th round of the draft. So what was the thought process heading onto the stage to select the 13th overall selection?

Gai: All I can say is our gamble paid off in the earlier trade to get the 8th selection and move back on spot to the 13th selection as the player that we still wanted was available as we had hoped. It made select Maximus Decidus Meridius a very easy choice and I think GM Dom must have skipped all the way to stage when it became obvious that Meridius was going to still be available at this selection. Again we are getting a player managed by a former VHL Commissioner in Beaviss meaning that the player should be the real deal and gave us options at forward for creating our lines.

From here the draft really seemed to slow down for Yukon is that really what happened?

Gai: Actually we still had the 16th selection and we started discussing on whom we should select at this point of the draft as we had managed to select almost all the players on our list or at least my list. We had to decide between going after a player that we knew, reaching way down to grab the tender that we required or reaching down for another player that we liked and could provide depth for the next season or two.

You selected Commodus with the 16th overall selection and that seemed to surprise a lot of others around the league. What lead to this selection?

Gai: Simply put we think this player has a lot of upside as he has been active and he is a managed by an senior Administrator of the league so he should have all the tools and resources to develop into a good player. It was about taking a player that we think has a lot of upside.

Yes, I almost forgot about the 16th overall selection due to all the trades it is getting harder to track the picks flying around so now you didn’t have a selection until the 6th round so I am guess it started to claim down a bit for GM Dom and yourself?

Gai: No, not even close as we still had to try to find a goaltender to back the already strong draft for the regular season and the playoffs. Actually we were talking about tender before the 16th overall selection but as stated it seemed a bit too much of a reach to go down to select the goaltender that we wanted. We were still actually discussing which tender to select at this point as I had my eyes on one tender and GM Dom had his eyes on a different tender.

Oh, Do tell me more about the argument over tenders?   

Gai: It wasn’t an argument it was more an open discussion as to which tender to select as the tender that GM Dom wanted to select was projecting to be a late second rounder to early third but we also didn’t have any selection between the 16th and 64th selection so we needed to move up into the second or third to be able to select a tender. In the end I agreed that we should try to select the tender that GM Dom wanted. Now came the hard point of trying to move up into the second or third to get the player that we wanted.

In the end you didn’t select in the second or the third round of the draft so what happened?

Gai: To be honest no second round picks were really available since most of them had changed hands with Minnesota and Mexico trading seconds earlier in the draft, our former seconds being moved to Houston and Halifax also landed a second so it was simple impossible to laid a second at this stage of the draft.

Okay, So that explains the second so then why didn’t Yukon move into the Third round?

Gai: Oh, We tried but the asking price we considered steep and the decision was actually an easy one to reject the offer that we actually had on the table since the tender that we were trying to move up to select when early in the third as expected; so now we didn’t need the third as badly. We still needed to find a tender so it still required us to move up but it was no longer in the late second or third area of the draft.

After the 34th Selection overall by Houston the draft seen a flurry of trade with trades completed by Ottawa & Philadelphia, Houston & Philadelphia and Yukon & Minnesota. Was that the deal that would land you the goaltender that you were looking for?

Gai: At the time we didn’t know as we had just acquired the 38th overall selection which was still four picks away so we were concerned that someone at this point might actually select the tender that I had targeted. Luckily for us that wasn’t the case and we were able to select the tender that I wanted with the 38th overall selection.

With the 38th overall selection you selected Thomas Price; what made you want this young man as your goaltender?

Gai: Character. At this late in the draft it become a lot about the unknowns so you look for signs that the player is engaged and overall going to be an active member of your team. I spent a lot of time scout the tenders in this draft so I knew that Price was active in Junior Showcase locker room and answer press releases meaning he is interested in learning more about how to develop as player. I think he could easily become a steal in the draft as a fourth rounder as he continues to develop and learn about the league. Overall I see a lot of upside and just needs time to develop as tender in the VHLM. What made the selection even sweater is this was my first selection of the draft.

With the trade you had also acquired the 43rd overall selection and you selected Alexandre Leduc. What was the thought process for drafting this player?

Gai: This was the easiest selection that we made today as it came straight down to Character and activity. The poor kid was sitting at the draft watching all day and you could see him excited just before every name was called followed by the disappointment of not hearing his name. This is true character to show up to a draft and want to be drafted. Now he also has something to prove to all those that didn’t select him.

Sixth and seven rounds a lot of the GMs around the league feel like they become throw away picks and in the VHL (fourth round) you will see a lot of teams passing on players did Yukon consider passing on players?

Gai: This is where I think scouting plays a huge role but I agree these players are 50/50 if they will turn into anything as they have either already gone inactive or they are very newly created players eligible for the draft.  So when selecting in these later rounds I look for activity and creation dates to see if on a off chance at we cannot find a player to develop. I must say I was very happy that everyone continued drafting players.

Overall with the draft completed how do you feel your team did during the draft and what are your expectations for the team this season?

Gai: I am extremely happy with the players that we have managed to draft and some are showing that our faith in them was very much correctly founded. I think we are slightly behind Ottawa to start the season as they selected more players overall then we did but I think as we develop as the season goes along we will be right there with them if not a head of them by that point. Time will tell and all the planning in the World doesn’t guarantee success but only sets you down the path of being successful. Hard work and luck still have a huge factor in the outcome anything you might be trying to accomplish.

Only time will tell if the Yukon Rush have done enough in this years draft to make the contenders for the Founder’s Cup and we hope that you enjoyed an insiders look at the VHLM draft with Rookie AGM Gaikoku-hito.

(3000+ words)

Claiming Sept 26, Oct 3rd, Oct 10th and Oct 17th

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

Sounds like quite the story about your computer charger haha. What kind of charger was it? I've never heard of one bricking itself like that, but then again I've also only had my laptop for 2 years. Hope you're doing better with that now, and I think you did an alright job of handling the draft if you had to do it alone. 9/10

7 hours ago, a_Ferk said:

Sounds like quite the story about your computer charger haha. What kind of charger was it? I've never heard of one bricking itself like that, but then again I've also only had my laptop for 2 years. Hope you're doing better with that now, and I think you did an alright job of handling the draft if you had to do it alone. 9/10

I am using a MacBook Pro  that I bought in 2010 and this is actually the third charger that has broken in the same spot. It due to the design of the L-shape mag charger that the Mac uses as they tend to twist on themselves; which causes the wires to break inside the by L and the spark nicely once they are ready to give up the ghost. They do have another version of the charger but I am reluctant to try due to the age of the Mac. It is a known issues with the chargers for the MacBook between then 2010-2014; which is why they have changed it in later models.  

• 2 weeks later...