LOSPENOV DRAFTED 31st TO MISSISSAUGA

Mississauga, Ontario – The newest Mississauga Hound, Mikhail Lospenov, has arrived in the hometown of his new team after being selected by the Hounds in the third round of the VHLM entry draft this weekend.

Lospenov, 18, saw his name fall down the draft board during this past weekend’s draft after originally being projected as a mid-second round pick and ultimately being selected in the third round with the 31st overall pick.

The drop in the draft caught many by surprise, including Lospenov’s agent Christian Gostlivic, who said: “It was a bit surprising to see us fall as far as we did, but we are still incredibly excited to see Mikhail be selected in the third round.”

Possibly one of the most surprising parts of Lospenov’s slide in the draft is the fact that both Ottawa and Mexico City passed on the Russian-born forward. Prior to the draft, both teams were the first to contact Lospenov and were cited as being very high on the forward’s skillset.

“To see both Ottawa and Mexico City pass on Lospenov is stunning to say the least,” said VSN analyst Dave McManty. “Both teams were so high on wanting to draft him, and then completely left him alone. To take lesser experienced players before him means that both of those teams must have found something in their research and interviews that threw up red flags.”

Those supposed “red flags” either weren’t found or didn’t matter to the Hounds management who took Lospenov with their second pick in the draft, three picks after selecting Canadian Nayt Bedard with the first of three third round selections.  

“At the end of the day, Mississauga got an absolute steal of a player in Lospenov at 31,” explained McManty. “The Hounds get a rapidly developing player with tremendous upside and a guy who will make an impact on your team at such a young age. The Hounds’ third round proved that they are determined to find young guys who are going to put pucks in the back of the net.”

While the VHLM fate of Lospenov has been sealed, at least in terms of his draft destination, there is still hope that the Russian will land a higher spot in Monday’s VHLE Draft.

“I’m thrilled and honored to have been selected by the Hounds, and I can’t wait to get started,” said Lospenov early Monday morning. “This is a great spot to strat my climb up the ladder, and I hope that, tonight, I will find out where I have to work hard to be at when I hear my name called for the VHLE.”

Lospenov has already garnered some attention at the VHLE level, but may see himself passed over in favor of S80 players. If someone does take a chance on the young forward, they could be rewarded with an even more motivated Lospenov who has his eyes set on a target.

“Mikhail Lospenov is young and hungry,” said McManty in the lead-up to the VHLE Draft. “He might be a little wet behind the ears, but that doesn’t mean that he stays like that forever. The sky is the limit for this kid.”