MALMORNING VHL!

ColeMrtz

With the conclusion of S79 I conclude Zeljko's first pro season in the VHL. Drafted by Malmo 30th overall back in S77, a pick that has been exactly on target (ranked 30th in post-draft TPE rankings), Zeljko would go on to dominate in the VHLM for two seasons before joining the pro squad this year for his first taste of professional hockey. With a fairly experienced core, Zeljko would play sheltered minutes and ultimately be a low impact player in his rookie season. This wasn't without promise, however, as the player's 29 points through 796 minutes of regular season play made him the most offensively efficient defenseman on the roster second only to Scotty Kaberle. His defensive game felt extraordinarily weak this season, seeing only 52 blocked shots, 18 hits, and a +3 on a team that won the most regular season games in the league. If Zeljko wants to take that next step in the VHL, his leaky defense needs to be a primary focus of his.

Ranogajec's rookie season didn't net him any individual awards, which came to the surprise of nobody, however with Malmo he would get to stamp his name on the Continental Cup, an achievement many players will never get to see in their careers. The playoff stint capped off an incredible season for Malmo, in which the Victory Cup was secured in the regular season followed up with a Continental Cup win in the playoffs. Zeljko crumbled under the pressure of playoff hockey, posting by far his worst offensive performances of his career thus far. With 2 points through 19 games, Zeljko was the least efficient producer on the team. Despite this, his defensive game took major strides, seeing a team high +5 as well as an uptick in rate of blocked shots and hits. While it still needs work, these developments prove promising for the young defenseman.

Malmo wasn't the only team Zeljko went all the way with, as under leadership of GM Minion Team World would go on to win gold at the World Junior Championship. An incredible showing saw the defenseman post a 2 PPG pace through the round robin and medal stages of the tournament, finishing with 1 goal and 19 assists through 10 games. The defenseman led the tournament in points and was third in shots blocked and hits, a dominant showing that bodes well for his eventual transition into the VHLE.

Fortunately, with the introduction of the VHLE Zeljko has a major opportunity to evolve his game. Drafted 25th overall in the VHLE Expansion Draft by the Cologne Express, he sits as the top defenseman on one of the best teams in the VHLE. The level of competition in the VHLE is similar to that of the World Juniors, which is a promising sign for Zeljko in the upcoming season. Cologne is poised to be a powerhouse, one the player hopes to be an integral part of. The expectation should be nothing short of dominance for the defenseman, and hopefully with some additional hardware Zeljko can return to Malmo in S81 with a plethora of new experience and a more developed/mature game that is VHL ready.

523 Words

7.5/10

Solid recap of your season. I also liked your comments regarding the VHLE. However, the article is a bit hard to read due to the ''wall of text'' effect, some spacing could make it an easier read. A picture of some kind could be nice too.

Great article, it was good idea from you. I like how you made me get to know your player, but I would recommend for you to include some headings and just structure the text. I would like some picture too, because it makes the article seem more profesional, but great work and hopefully you write some more!

8/10

Review:  Well-written article.  Always appreciate when the prose is clean, grammar clicks, run-on sentences are edited out, etc.  Engaging too from a content side.  Enjoyed hearing about a young defenseman making his way in the league.  Honest assessment of where he is now, but pointing to the promise of tomorrow.  8/10